Love this time of year but...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rach85

Reaction score
As the title says, I love this time of year, with the local reptiles being so active.. but im so sick of seeing all the dead ones on the road. Was at my parents house the other day, and Mum comes home saying 'there's a dugite on the side of the road, you better go help it before it gets run over.'
So my partner and I go find it, and yep, sure enough, we find it freshly dead after someone had obviously swerved to hit it. was gorgeous. big and healthy looking. poor little fella.

And all my friends laugh at my personal mission as Im trying to educate the people on my facebook list that update their status saying 'a snake attacked or chased my kids/dog/cat so i killed it.' But it feels like a never ending battle... But i guess if i can change one persons mind and get them to call a relocater, not grab a shovel, my frustrations are worth it.

Last edited:
know the feeling, i was talking to a lady the other day that had a snake in her garden and said it got away before they could kill it, now they live 4km out of town from me and i said if its a weekend or after work call me and i'll come catch it, her response "would be dead before you got here, even if you were coming down the driveway when they we saw it it would be dead", bloody hard to change an attitude like that

yep. then there was the bloke who bragged that he had a freezer full of chopped up tiger snakes and bobtails cos they were 'the best marron bait' YOU MOTHERFLIPPIN WHAT!!!!????

mmmm couldn't agree more with you.
and it's not just reptiles. the amount of dead wombats I see. argh it makes me so mad. they were here before us, god... show em some respect. many times when people run over wildlife, it is a mistake which may or may not have been avoidable, however, when you meet people who kill the snake because it is too close to them and it's 'on their property' makes me really annoyed.
It's like they say "i'm scared that thing will attack me so i will interfere with it and try kill it, which is when people get bitten!
just leave them be. who seriously goes out of their way to kill animals that are dangerous?

Unfortunately bananapeel, that's one of the reasons we've become so hugely successful as a species.

It makes me sad when I see dead wombats, I freaking love wombats, they're my favourite marsupial, but I take a bit of solace when I see one dead that at least they probably cost whoever hit them a fortune in damage to their car. That'll learn em to run over natives. I always swerve to avoid natives. Anything invasive though, I swerve the other way. With the exception of cats in suburbia. I don't like them, but usually they're some idiots pet, and no matter how much I hate them, I could never intentionally run over someone's pet, even if it should be inside.

Unfortunately bananapeel, that's one of the reasons we've become so hugely successful as a species.

It makes me sad when I see dead wombats, I freaking love wombats, they're my favourite marsupial, but I take a bit of solace when I see one dead that at least they probably cost whoever hit them a fortune in damage to their car. That'll learn em to run over natives. I always swerve to avoid natives. Anything invasive though, I swerve the other way. With the exception of cats in suburbia. I don't like them, but usually they're some idiots pet, and no matter how much I hate them, I could never intentionally run over someone's pet, even if it should be inside.

i completely agree, i slammed the brakes on to miss the neighbours blind dog who only drops bombs on MY yard(noone elses), barks in our front door and although i wish it was GOOOOONE, im not the one to do it
the bloke up the road stopped me in the middle of the road to let a baby green tree snake move off into the bushes, it was a stunner, im going to start with all my neighbours, explaining that their habitat is just over thier back fence, if you see them leave them or call me....

when it comes to reptiles, I use every approach I can think of. 'its illegal to kill wildlife..' 'most people are bitten trying to kill snakes...' 'there are lots of snakes that look like venomous ones as a defence, (but you should still treat them all with the same caution)" 'If you kept your yard tidy, and the grass short, youd probably never see one...'
The worst are the old farmers. they know it all and you cant teach them any different. I even offered to pay the callout fee if any of my friends did ring a snake catcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back