Low temperature reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Damo1

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi I’m looking for species that can be kept with no - little heat in an indoor enclosure in Melbourne. Looking for mainly snakes but wouldn’t mind hearing about lizards as well. Open to all suggestions as I’m going to get an advanced license next year.

I believe leaf tail geckos can live with no external heat source

It's a problem if you don't want to add supplementary heat, because houses are generally consistently cooler than outdoors. Snakes outside may encounter lower temps on occasions, but they have more choices when it comes to accessing heat on sunny days, even if the weather is "cool." If your house remains cold for months on end, your reptiles will not thrive, and snakes in particular will suffer significantly.

Jamie

The limiting factor is not the reptile or your location tbh. Its more about what temp do you maintain your home during summer & winter?
Too hot in summer will kill most off, too cold in winter could lead to RI amongst other conditions. Too cool in summer won't help digestion, too warm in winter could hamper the natural brumation cycle.

You could keep Diamonds in an outdoor setting though the important factor would be making sure you locate & build the enclosure appropriately. I would say Diamonds probably need less heat (in terms of hours) than most others unless you go down the path of keeping ven's.

More importantly why is the amount of heat such an issue? If its cost the price of running a single light globe or heat cable is minimal.

It's a problem if you don't want to add supplementary heat, because houses are generally consistently cooler than outdoors. Snakes outside may encounter lower temps on occasions, but they have more choices when it comes to accessing heat on sunny days, even if the weather is "cool." If your house remains cold for months on end, your reptiles will not thrive, and snakes in particular will suffer significantly.

Jamie
I’m cool with supplying heat is as just wondering what species didn’t need it.
[doublepost=1521618244,1521618146][/doublepost]
The limiting factor is not the reptile or your location tbh. Its more about what temp do you maintain your home during summer & winter?
Too hot in summer will kill most off, too cold in winter could lead to RI amongst other conditions. Too cool in summer won't help digestion, too warm in winter could hamper the natural brumation cycle.

You could keep Diamonds in an outdoor setting though the important factor would be making sure you locate & build the enclosure appropriately. I would say Diamonds probably need less heat (in terms of hours) than most others unless you go down the path of keeping ven's.

More importantly why is the amount of heat such an issue? If its cost the price of running a single light globe or heat cable is minimal.
Not cost just interested in low or no heat species and eventually I would like to get vens.

You'd usually get away with it with Tigers, White-lippeds or Copperheads (these are Australia's three most cold tolerant snakes) but even with them I'd give a few hours of heat per day, even if only 3 hours or so (3-5 hours of supplemental heat per day works really well for these snakes and other cold adapted reptiles - many people go for either too much heat or too low a constant temperature, both of which are pretty bad strategies).

If you're going to do something, do it properly, not half-heartedly, especially when it comes to animals. There aren't any choices I would suggest keeping without controlled temperatures in a typical Melbourne house. Yes, some may manage to survive, but if doing only what you can get away with is your attitude, get a pet cactus or rock or something. You can keep them extremely cheaply, provide everything they need and want for a tiny amount of money and work, but when it comes to reptiles, temperature is king and must be your #1 priority, it's something you should never skimp on.

You'd usually get away with it with Tigers, White-lippeds or Copperheads (these are Australia's three most cold tolerant snakes) but even with them I'd give a few hours of heat per day, even if only 3 hours or so (3-5 hours of supplemental heat per day works really well for these snakes and other cold adapted reptiles - many people go for either too much heat or too low a constant temperature, both of which are pretty bad strategies).

If you're going to do something, do it properly, not half-heartedly, especially when it comes to animals. There aren't any choices I would suggest keeping without controlled temperatures in a typical Melbourne house. Yes, some may manage to survive, but if doing only what you can get away with is your attitude, get a pet cactus or rock or something. You can keep them extremely cheaply, provide everything they need and want for a tiny amount of money and work, but when it comes to reptiles, temperature is king and must be your #1 priority, it's something you should never skimp on.
I’m more than willing to supply heat as I’ve said thanks for the input as well

As for lizards; marbled geckos, thick-tailed geckos and angle headed dragons little if any heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back