Lunaradius new to the site!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lunaradius

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello all!!
My name is Varinia I am 30 years young ;) I live in Florida I am married with two children. I was raised around snakes my Dad always had them it has been about 15 years since I have had one (well not me my Husband) so here it goes....
I have 9 dogs, 5 cockatiels, 1 prarie dog and I am a local rescue for sugar gliders I have 10 little buggers I love my suggies!!
My cousin decided to buy a snake from a "friend" of his for my Father (my parents live live with me,hubby and the girls because of my MS)
He brings it over and leaves. So the poor little guy is in a ten gallon tank no rock no nothing! he has some kind of paper bedding (yesterdays news I think), a bowl of water and a little mouse.We left the mouse in it over night and my Husband called from work and asked me to check to see if he has eaten the mouse well the mouse was setting up house in the tank so when my husband got home I got the mouse out and I was looking at it well the mouse was infested with MITES! and the snake was fixing to shed so we took him out and put him in another with a larger bowl of water and I put a heating pad under half of the tank and added a rock until I get him a reptarium (my husband would not let me put some pretty plastic vines in there :lol: )
now here a good question these people who had him was taking him to the vet for a shot once a month but they don't know for what ??????
he is healthy (I am taking him to my vet) just to make sure because of the mouse.
(The mouse is my new friend LOL I told my husband the snake can't have him because of the mites) I have a lot of questions so as soon as I get my feel around this forum I will be asking ALOT
See ya around the forum!!

~~Varinia

Hi Lunaradius and welcome to APS. I was a bit confused when you mentioned sugar gliders but there seems to be a captive population in USA ( http://www.sugar-gliders.com ). They are cute arn't they, exspecially the babies, and don't their razor-sharp claws feel great when they land unexpectantly on your bare back and climb up to your shoulder.

What kind of snake do you have?
I have no idea as to why a snake would require a monthly shot. Anyone else?
It is also best not to feed live food to a snake, aside from the danger of parasites and deseases there is also the danger that the rodent could turn its formidable weapons on the snake. Often if a snake won't eat a rodent and the furball is left in the cage, the snake will not defend itself http://www.redtailboas.com/frozen_thawed/frozen_thawed.html

Thanks for the reply!
With the gliders you gotta love when they do the facehugs that will bring tears to your eyes LOL
We will use frozen but the people who had him fed live mice. He is a ball python about 4 feet long he just sheded and it was in one piece.
He seems to be doing fine moving around checking things out. I am still looking around the forum and reading, reading, reading! so much useful information!

Welcome, your house sounds a bit like mine, we have 8 dogs, a cat, 4 fish, 6 pythons, 5 beardies, 3 turtles and I'm not gonna count the mice or roaches :lol:

Welcome Varinia, i must admit that i also was a bit confused when i read that u rescue sugar gliders lol :lol: if i hadn't read further i would have looked them up on google :lol:

LOL hey gliders go for big money over here LOL they sell albino gliders for five thousand :shock: I just rescue no breeding here but I just bought my first glider from a good bredder for three hunred.
Guess I have a lot of learning to do on snakes. hee hee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back