Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peterjohnson64

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Team,

Whilst it is still fresh in your minds we would like to get suggestions as to how to improve the show next year. Whilst many may not be possible 300 heads are always better than 1 and we want your feedback.

Yes, the animals did get stressed and we need to address that. I ended up covering my frilly cage with newspaper.

We will also certainly be recommending that people bring animals in locked enclosures next year. I hade to go and tape up all of the click clack types.

Does anyone know about double sided mirrors? they might be useful fronts.

Also, we were lucky with the weather. If it was held last week in that rain we would have had fun setting up and dismantling the hall. We need to think about that as well. We can't guarantee next years weather.

We will also be posting a survey on the net soon that you can go to and provide feedback.

Another interesting thing. Only about 30% of people filled out the voting form.

Maybe a rope fence infront of the display animals to keep people back a little?

It was an awesome show Peter, aside from the heat! :lol:

Only 30% filled out the form, that's a mixed blessing.

Having to count the number we did, plus enter them into the computer, we'd still be there.

I think it was a great day and it will get better and better. I was impressed with the fact that I had to walk so far because all the parking was gone even though there appeared to be ample. (Trust me for not getting there early)

Please take this as constructive....

One complaint I heard a few times was that the enclosures weren't up high enough. But then there are the weaners (Children) to worry about.

I thought the public were too close to the enclosures. A rope barrier perhaps?

I was disappointed with the prices of some of the associated herp supplies. Often when you go to an expo you are able to get items cheaper than normally. I know at least one exhibitor there had put their prices up! ($38 for a 4m heat cord that they sell for $26)

I was also disappointed in that there were no Vens. My little friend from down the road wanted to see a RBB. All he talked about on the way home was that he didn't see one. (So how about some vens next time Ven people??)

Better security on the enclosures I think is a must! There was one kid that open one of the click clacks.

Better labelling of the exhibits would be good. To clearly identify ALL exhibits. Whether just for display, sale or part of the competition.

IsK

Last edited:
Isk, there were suppose to be some vens, but unfortunately no one brought any.

Yeah sorry. That part was directed at the Ven keepers. Jeff told me about the fact there were few enquiries and the one that said he probably would come and then didn't.

IsK

a bit of order would of been good, i know alot of people would have been over excited.
my best suggestion would be to have all display tanks around the perimeter and have a roped walk way, that way every one gets to see everythink, i missed a few things plus as already said it would keep a bit of distance from the animals

There was going to be some vens there, but unfortunately this was a bit of miscomunication and they never got there. There was a bit of uncertainty in the early stages about the ability of having vens there on display. I am sure they will be there next year.

I think better labelling of exhibits would be great too... I heard a lot of people talking about the "Bredli" on the ARP stand ;)

I also agree about some of the herp supplies prices...but unfortunately I don't know if there is any way to counter that.

In regards to only a handful of people voting I think it may have had something to do with lack of pens/pencils - being numbered exhibits they were impossible to remember so you needed something to fill it out with on the spot - Keno pencils might work...

In general though it was an AWESOME day - a little warm, but nothing you can do about that

Might also be an idea to seperate animals into groups of like animals - might make it a tad more difficult for exhibitors to set up though...but would be nice to see a few jungles together to compare, a few Beardies etc - I only say this because I think the group of monitors together worked very well...

I would have voted, but when I arrived I was not presented with a voting card in the first place :(

Yea i think a little more order to the exhibits would have been good, and possibly a little more spread out. I think the sellers corner got a little crowded at times and this could have been fixed by arranging the tables in a slightly better way.

Overall though i couldnt complain becaus it was a really good day.

OH about the seller's tables - I think a method needs to be devised to stop annoying little brats forcing people away to get up front just so they can push their noses up to the chinese food containers, despite there being either a) actual or potential buyers there first or b) myself

Gillsy I didn't want to waste anyones time by making them go through the rigmorale of taking an animal into quarantine just so I can have the ability to see an animal away from the prying eyes and grubby, shoving little fingers of rat-children.

I agree that the seller's tables needed to be spread a bit more...even where Glimmerman etc were selling was crowding a lot...

Not to mention the other corner...very cramped and difficult to browse...

As this was very well published and alot of ppl attended, I think having the NPWS Licencing Forms onsite was a very good idea. It made it easier for those looking at getting a reptile one step closer to this achievement. Normally when you want to buy something and there is a step in between where you have to go and fill in a form or even find it first you will avoid the issue. So I heard a couple of the sellers instructing the want to be herpers over to the forms. Good job.

I thought the day setup was great, but yes, some of the shops had very expensive products. There was one seller that was very good though and I got my turtle book for $5 rather than $16.50 at another stand for exactly the same book!

OH about the seller's tables - I think a method needs to be devised to stop annoying little brats forcing people away to get up front just so they can push their noses up to the chinese food containers, despite there being either a) actual or potential buyers there first or b) myself

Get rid of the "annoying little brats" or, better yet, those that were annoyed by them. The expo was there for the public as well as hobbyists. I seen just as many hobbyists pushing their way to the front so they can push their noses up against enclosures despite others being there first.

Perhaps tolerance is the key. They are after all just kids and possibly the next generation of Herpers.

IsK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back