Mac vs Rat Size

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gruni

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I know obviously that a good feed size for any snake is approx 20% of it's mass but I am curious about a different aspect of the issue. My Mac, Skittles, is 2 years old and weighs in at approx 470g, she currently gets fed 2 x 50g rats to make up a feed that is just over 20%. The two rats give her a VERY sizable belly buldge and take her a while to get at least as far as the shoulders and is very content.

My issue is this, a friend is getting out of rat breeding and so I went and got all the rats he had around the 50-60g mark one of the rats is 94g. Considering how big her buldge is with what I feed her and given that all my friends have Morelia etc, I want to know from those who keep Antaresia could she take her feed quota in a single animal ie is the 94g rat too big for her to handle or am I just under estimating snakes feeding ability?

i only keep carpets but that would be no problem in my eyes if you're worried just wait till it has finnished of all the smaller rats

Definitely underestimating, she'll do that no problems.

Cheers, the 95g rat just looks huge compared to the others and she is my first snake so I didn't want to take the risk. I was planning to save the big one for last but as she has reached adult size I 'm not expecting a lot of growth to occur over the next 4 months which is about how much food I now have for her.

I meant to say before too she is 1.2m.

What do I feed my 4kg Bredli than :p I want rabbits but can't find anyone who breeds them locally!!!

My 620 gram Mac takes 120 gram rats. I am pretty much not increasing the rat size now as she is 3 and her growth has slowed so I do not want her to get fat.

If it was a larger variety snake I would be less worried as they get a much bigger girth on them so you expect more stretch but Macs never look very wide and Skittles almost doubles in width with the ones I give her now. :shock:

That seems like a decent lump in Skittles and it never hurts to err on the side of caution.

I'll try to remember to get a photo after her next feed if I can and refresh this thread. She's due for a feed in a bit over a week. Now that she is the size she is I am curious to see what happens to her shedding routine, she last shed early Feb from memory and the first week of Dec before that, and if she will go off her food over winter. She certainly hasn't shown any sign of slowing down and even Waynej, her breeder, asked me last night if she had as his do.

My mac shed 23/12/12 , 5/2/13 and has just got cloudy eyes yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back