Macro Photography - Snake Shots

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miley_take

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I've just got my new 105mm nikkor macro lens - used with my D700. Thought I'd show you the results!

Also, all you macro photographers, I'm after some info on extension tubes. Pros/cons and just general info would be awesome!

Attachments

• Para 3 copy.jpg
    Para 3 copy.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 112
  • Para copy.jpg
    Para copy.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Laila copy.jpg
    Laila copy.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 102
  • Para 2 copy.jpg
    Para 2 copy.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 97
I usethis site a fair bit to read up and stay up to date; THIS PAGE has some pretty good info on Macro lense/tubes which has cool examples in photo form. It's worth signing up to the site I reckon. Enjoy.

If it's already a dedicated macro lens... why the extension tube? On the full frame D700 that's a 1:1 ratio. If you want to get closer just crop the image so you don't loose IQ. Nice pics by the way...

If it's already a dedicated macro lens... why the extension tube? On the full frame D700 that's a 1:1 ratio. If you want to get closer just crop the image so you don't loose IQ. Nice pics by the way...

That's what I'm wanting info on, opinions as to whether getting them or not. Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, how does croping an image retain image quality while using an extension tube doesn't?

Miley- I would suggest getting one. The only noticable thing I found is the narrower depth of field, which really isn't an issue.

Just out of curiosity, how does croping an image retain image quality while using an extension tube doesn't?

Miley- I would suggest getting one. The only noticable thing I found is the narrower depth of field, which really isn't an issue.

Extension tubes shift the focal length of the lens... kinda like the DX crop when using film lenses on DX sensors. Not noticeble on other magnifications but when you do close up macro work what it does is norrow the depth of field substancially. It might be fine for some stuff but if your trying to do specimen work you'd want maximum DOF in most cases. Focus also becomes more critical when you have extension tubes as there might be a focus shift.

Amazing shots, Em!! Para is gorgeous :D I love the water droplets shot!

I have no input whether to get the extention tubes or not, but if you're pulling out images like those ^^ I'd be very very happy!! Great work :D

Awesome shots miley, wants to make me get a macro for mine now.

I just picked up a cheap Tamron 70-300 with macro in the top 100. Haven't had much of a play with the macro yet but here's a blue faced moth with crazy eyes I shot last week.

DSC_0085.jpg
DSC_0086.jpg

Extension tubes shift the focal length of the lens... kinda like the DX crop when using film lenses on DX sensors. Not noticeble on other magnifications but when you do close up macro work what it does is norrow the depth of field substancially. It might be fine for some stuff but if your trying to do specimen work you'd want maximum DOF in most cases. Focus also becomes more critical when you have extension tubes as there might be a focus shift.

But thats not a reduction in image quality, its just a change of factors involved in taking the photo. I think I understand what you are getting at, but still think extension tubes are good to have in the kit bag. More light and manual focus solve both the issues you mentioned.

I just picked up a cheap Tamron 70-300 with macro in the top 100. Haven't had much of a play with the macro yet but here's a blue faced moth with crazy eyes I shot last week.

View attachment 228690View attachment 228691

I've got that one too but it doesn't compare to the 105mm macro. Boyfriend calls it the erection lens because of the 300mm :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back