Magpie breeders?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hornet

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I understand magpies can be kept on licence in queensland, does anyknow know where they can be obtained legally?

I was looking a few years ago with no luck. Hope you find one! Magpies are my favorite Aussie bird, I could listen to them all day. Had a wild trio in Brisbane that would hang out on the kitchen bench!

its not as simple as going to a breeder. From my understanding of it you need to have a wildlife cares liscence (anyone can get one) and it needs to be an animal that cannot be returned to the wild. Thats how my friend ended up with hers. There great little birds supper inteligent and super playfull. Good luck.

Yes you can go to a breeder,That simple.Your friend must have a rescued animal?? Totally different from buying a bird on permit

If you live in their range then why not just encourage them to live around your house? Rather than locking them up in a cage.

i used to feed the locals and they would sing on our deck every morning was so good much better then having one in a cage IMO

Best birds by far,very entertaining,very clever,had one for years.
The only issue with them is that being territorial the local magpies will take any and every opportunity to attack your pet one

We have had a family in our yard for years. When the babies leave the nest, the mum will come with the babies and sit on the kitchen bench and wait for me to defrost them mince. So cute. Awesome birds.

For the people who have seen them for sale what is the normal price they go for?

And waruikazi, Im sure cougars argument would be, why keep snakes just set up a snake freindly house and have them in your backyard.

Ben

They are on the exempt list in SA so you would assume that they would be common but I never see any for sale. Guess because they are so common outside there is no point getting one as a pet. What I would like to see is more predator birds being bred.

For the people who have seen them for sale what is the normal price they go for?

And waruikazi, Im sure cougars argument would be, why keep snakes just set up a snake freindly house and have them in your backyard.

Ben

He already has a crocodile friendly school (well, until they get shot).... But well played Ben... Well played!

As for magpies - from what I hear, they respond very well to being hand reared and are marvellously intelligent birds. And yes, they have a beautiful call.

You can release them during the day - and just let them sleep in the cage at night. But if you don't give them enough time your house will probably be destroyed!

If you leave them in their cage they'll get depressed (possibly).

My parents are avid bird keepers - personal opinions here - I hate captive birds, I love them in the wild...

Ben

Yes i know a parralell could be drawn to herp keeping. I think the difference is that even wild birds are social, you can form a relationship with wild birds but you can't with wild snakes. But, most importantly, birds need a much larger space than snakes do because they fly.

But that's reading into my question (instead of answering it) which you shouldn't do because, as apparently cougar has, you get all rolly eyed and it is not what i am getting at.

If they are a local species and they are 'sociable' with people then, i am asking, why not try to attract wild animals to live with you? Personally i can only see benefits to a scenario such as that. Here's why...

1- It is much cheaper. There is no need to house the animals, take them to the vet, you don't have to pay for the animal itself and there are no permit fees involved.

2- The animals are still contributing to biodiversity. The birds are still being birds, flying, crapping, breeding, squawking, eating and being eaten.

3- It is less time consuming. There is no cleaning involved, no building, no nothing.

4- You are one with nature! You can appreciate nature without having to control it.

I personally feel no desire to keep any animal that i already interact with in the wild regularly. I don't want to keep possums because i see them crawling around the trees at night, i don't want an eagle because they fly around my house looking for food most days, crocodiles because they live just a 100m over my backfence etc etc.

Lol, an ice cream bucket with eyes drawn on the back worn like a stack hat works a treat!

lol if u feed them they tend not to swoop u.... there used to be heaps at my old work always used to feed them and they were that tame they would land on ur car side mirror and eat from your hand. The only person they ever swooped was the posty i dont think they liked his bike lol lucky he had a helmet :)

lol if u feed them they tend not to swoop u.... there used to be heaps at my old work always used to feed them and they were that tame they would land on ur car side mirror and eat from your hand. The only person they ever swooped was the posty i dont think they liked his bike lol lucky he had a helmet :)

thats right my olds have a group of them and they swoop up and down the street but not with in a few houses of theres, i use to feed them and they just walk up to you while your sitting on the lawn having a beer and sing to you, its such a beautiful voice, other than a cockatoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back