Magpies follow Snake bite spike in Queensland hospitalises nine in a day

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, just I typed that post at what time, 4am ish? Plenty of animals including BRAVE insects (and you're well aware of this fact) are a lot less cowardly than magpies so we won't continue to argue about that, magpies are not usually brave because they only ever attack from behind. Cowards. You're claiming to be literally unswoopable by magpies, THAT is hilarious! Come to Toowoomba and your "magpie virginity" will be raped. Hahaha. Legit.

On another note, I've literally never been swooped by a plover, but that's not to say it won't ever happen eventually one day. ;)

Last edited:
Nope, just I typed that post at what time, 4am ish? Plenty of animals including BRAVE insects (and you're well aware of this fact) are a lot less cowardly than magpies so we won't continue to argue about that, magpies are not usually brave because they only ever attack from behind. Cowards. You're claiming to be literally unswoopable by magpies, THAT is hilarious! Come to Toowoomba and your "magpie virginity" will be raped. Hahaha. Legit.

On another note, I've literally never been swooped by a plover, but that's not to say it won't ever happen eventually one day. ;)

Which animal is brave? Even Tigers attack humans from behind. If those 'brave' insects were capable of it and it benefitted them, they'd do it to.

I didn't claim to be unswoopable, just that they don't swoop me, never have. If one day a Magpie does swoop me it won't change the fact that they clearly swoop me less than the average person. It should go without saying to anyone less dense than a fence post that they will swoop some people more than others, but obviously the empirical evidence says that this difference between individual humans is quite dramatic. I have been to Toowoomba many times, most recent was about a year ago. Many years ago I spent a year living in Brisbane and during that year spent a reasonable amount of time in Toowoomba.

What's brave... a cassowary is brave. They're not cowards like magpies.
Ok, come and cycle around Smithfield Park with all your positive body language and care free attitude and swoop free record and we'll see how it serves you. I get swooped by magpies hardly at all, or by any species of swooping birds including plovers and noisy miners BUT I do get swooped a lot by a few individual magpies that are truly mad. That is not by any fault of my own.
And the evidence suggests that the problem is actually quite widespread. Some pies are just pricks and they will go ballistic at any passer by, not because they see it as a threat but because it impresses the female when they do it. The more a male magpie wants to impress his lady friend, the more he'll swoop anything and anyone.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...ing-dive-bombing-menace-and-how-to-avoid-them

Last edited:
What's brave... a cassowary is brave. They're not cowards like magpies.
Ok, come and cycle around Smithfield Park with all your positive body language and care free attitude and swoop free record and we'll see how it serves you. I get swooped by magpies hardly at all, or by any species of swooping birds including plovers and noisy miners BUT I do get swooped a lot by a few individual magpies that are truly mad. That is not by any fault of my own.
And the evidence suggests that the problem is actually quite widespread. Some pies are just pricks and they will go ballistic at any passer by, not because they see it as a threat but because it impresses the female when they do it. The more a male magpie wants to impress his lady friend, the more he'll swoop anything and anyone.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...ing-dive-bombing-menace-and-how-to-avoid-them

Cassowary!!! What makes a Cassowary brave? You know you are really struggling when you need to come up with an obscure bird like a Cassowary which the vast majority of the world's population will never see in the wild. In any case, despite their undeserved reputation, they only attack after being provoked or when people/animals approach their chicks, much like magpies, or when they have had their behaviour artificially altered by humans either in captivity or wild birds being fed and losing their usual fear of humans. These birds are primarily fruit eaters. The only confirmed case of a Cassowary killing a human is from 1926, when a man attacked the bird with the intention of killing it and the Cassowary fought back, as even most cowards will when confronted by something actively attempting to kill them. Cassowaries don't make big brave announcements of their intention to attack and allow their opponent to prepare before honourably commencing combat. They are shy animals. I have trekked around in north QLD several times looking for them, and have never managed to see one.

Your words about magpies are getting increasingly ridiculous and irrelevant. If you got 100 people to walk around in Magpie swoop zones, and found that some of them consistently got swooped more than others (as surely even you must be able to see would be the case), and this went on for several years in many different areas, and everyone said 'Right, well, that settles it, some people are more prone to being swooped than others', would you then get the least prone person and put them into the territory of the most aggressive Magpie's territory, wait for them to get swooped and say "Oh, look! I'm so smart! Magpies swoop everyone equally"? Because that's literally the same absurd argument you are making.

Again your argument is completely invalid, it is you that is struggling trying to argue that magpies are brave, what a load of shyte. A honey badger and Jack Russell Terrier are the epitome of brave creatures, wild and domestic. Back to the cassowary, for the record, arguing that their reputation is undeserved because their behaviour has been altered and they've lost their fear of humans from being in captivity or being fed is ridiculous... of the 2 species, which would you say would have more exposure to humans?? Magpies, thank Christ for that! I'd hate to be running the Jack's through the suburbs and come "face to face" (key) with a cassowary! But, This isn't about what a cassowary eats, this isn't about how many people have been killed this isn't about their shy nature or how many people will come into contact with one or how long YOU trekked through north QLD looking for one and failed as I'm sure I've spent far more time in North QLD than you but moving on, you're getting confused and trying to validate your arguments with irrelevant information
A cassowary, BOTTOM LINE is an example of what I consider a brave bird that will confront a human or non human threat head on, FACE TO FACE, toe to toe, (ONLY AFTER PROVOCATION) the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of a magpie which ALWAYS attacks its targets, with or WITHOUT provocation and INDISCRIMINATELY) from behind. Confront a magpie face to face where it cannot come at you from behind, what does it do?? P***es off like the aerial chickens they actually are... That is it, that is the WHOLE point. Magpies whether you like it or not are COWARDS, so much so that in another 1000 years they'll probably have lost their black and white plumage and have turned completely yellow. :D Accept it and move on. And there ARE magpies, be it a very small percentage of them - less than 1 in 20, that do swoop everyone and everything regardless of your absurd claims and self proclaimed god like untouchable/unswoopable status. You would get swooped by the Smithfield Park Magpies and then, you, (now a magpie attack statistic like the other 96% of us (Australian males), who are actually being honest here - That have admitted to being attacked indiscriminately by COWARDLY magpies - for no reason other than being within 300m straight line distance of and 20m below their nest wearing a red T-shirt on the 3rd Monday in October running in a south westerly direction) would admit that you are actually wrong. But since you're a 4%'r slumming it in magpie free Thailand and or just plain lying about your magpie encounters, the chances of that are slim and you're arguing here just for the sake of it, because there's obviously nothing better for you to do right now... or maybe you're confusing magpies with magpie larks (would make sense) or you actually speak "magpie" like Dory speaks whale in finding Nemo?? No, It's you who's ramblings about magpies are becoming more and more ridiculous.

Just humour me... have you ever been bitten by a mosquito or do you have some rare
blood type that contains permethrin which makes you exempt from attack from biting insects too? :p

Last edited:
Again your argument is completely invalid, it is you that is struggling trying to argue that magpies are brave, what a load of shyte. A honey badger and Jack Russell Terrier are the epitome of brave creatures, wild and domestic. Back to the cassowary, for the record, arguing that their reputation is undeserved because their behaviour has been altered and they've lost their fear of humans from being in captivity or being fed is ridiculous... of the 2 species, which would you say would have more exposure to humans?? Magpies, thank Christ for that! I'd hate to be running the Jack's through the suburbs and come "face to face" (key) with a cassowary! But, This isn't about what a cassowary eats, this isn't about how many people have been killed this isn't about their shy nature or how many people will come into contact with one or how long YOU trekked through north QLD looking for one and failed as I'm sure I've spent far more time in North QLD than you but moving on, you're getting confused and trying to validate your arguments with irrelevant information
A cassowary, BOTTOM LINE is an example of what I consider a brave bird that will confront a human or non human threat head on, FACE TO FACE, toe to toe, (ONLY AFTER PROVOCATION) the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of a magpie which ALWAYS attacks its targets, with or WITHOUT provocation and INDISCRIMINATELY) from behind. Confront a magpie face to face where it cannot come at you from behind, what does it do?? P***es off like the aerial chickens they actually are... That is it, that is the WHOLE point. Magpies whether you like it or not are COWARDS, so much so that in another 1000 years they'll probably have lost their black and white plumage and have turned completely yellow. :D Accept it and move on. And there ARE magpies, be it a very small percentage of them - less than 1 in 20, that do swoop everyone and everything regardless of your absurd claims and self proclaimed god like untouchable/unswoopable status. You would get swooped by the Smithfield Park Magpies and then, you, (now a magpie attack statistic like the other 96% of us (Australian males), who are actually being honest here - That have admitted to being attacked indiscriminately by COWARDLY magpies - for no reason other than being within 300m straight line distance of and 20m below their nest wearing a red T-shirt on the 3rd Monday in October running in a south westerly direction) would admit that you are actually wrong. But since you're a 4%'r slumming it in magpie free Thailand and or just plain lying about your magpie encounters, the chances of that are slim and you're arguing here just for the sake of it, because there's obviously nothing better for you to do right now... or maybe you're confusing magpies with magpie larks (would make sense) or you actually speak "magpie" like Dory speaks whale in finding Nemo?? No, It's you who's ramblings about magpies are becoming more and more ridiculous.

Just humour me... have you ever been bitten by a mosquito or do you have some rare
blood type that contains permethrin which makes you exempt from attack from biting insects too? :p

You're special :)

You're special :)
Merry Christmas to you John and your family. :)

I hope you take the time to forgive and make peace with your those you've had conflicts with this past year. I made peace with an old foe again yesterday morning. :)
20181224_102512.jpg

Last edited:
If you do get swooped, it's best to keep your head down, stay quiet and move away as quickly as possible (walk, don't run). It's also a good idea to wear sunnies. Maggies have very sharp beaks and if that sharp beak ends up in your eye, there's a good chance you'll lose your vision. Swooping is just the bird's way of telling you that you've gotten too close to their nest. It's always the males that swoop, it's not often that a female will do it. This is probably because it's the male's job to protect to the nest. I once saw a male maggie physically attack a Pied currawong that went too close to its chicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back