Major Skin Loss Down to Bone

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been leaving Mowhawk alone as much as possible but had a quick peek in the hide when I changed water today
Top part of the wound down to past the eyes actually looks like it is healing very well
Bottom section towards the mouth not doing so well
But looking ok

Just read this thread, incredible story. The fact that it's not infected is the best thing! Good luck with everything Longqi.

Is the bottom section moist, dry, scabbing over, infected?
Is there any granulation ( new growth)?
What are you treating it with and how often?
Is it the same style of wound as the top part?

Last edited:
hey longqi have you got any new pic of the wound would be interesting to see what stage the retic is at with healing

Hi mate.
I wouldn't feed.
And I wouldn't bother with the cuttle fish.
If there is a part that is looking ordinary, put another dose of betadine on that section.
Just leave him alone and don't look in at him very often at all. Twice a week.

Cement
Only tried that one feed and wont try again at this stage
Thin but not emaciated so wont hurt it to be a bit hungry for a week or two
Its not looking too bad
Quietly confident that there is no infection
Has good hide and only lifted the lid for a few seconds
Still drinking but has slowed right down on that so must be hydrated again
Section down to just past eyes looking really good
Bottom section towards mouth not as promising but looks dryish so not too worried
[am still very tempted to try this cuttlefish thing simply because the chinese herbalists swear by it but might leave it for the next one now]

Daryln
Its only one wound as per the photo
Half is healing well with possibly some regeneration
Other half still looks almost the same as before but dryer no real scab or signs of regeneration there
Medication
Let it bite me to make sure there was no real structural damage to head/mouth bones
Passed that test with flying colours and the only blood was mine
Cleaned it with betadine
Then Betadine Aloe vera and honey paste
After advice here dropped the betadine from next paste
changed each day for two days
Then left it alone

Fantasmic and Bneglitz
Thanks for concern
I will get more photos eventually but not for at least a week I think
Want to be sure Mowhawk is definitely mending or mended first
[gotta love that name]

We have definite skin growth on top section of scalp
No visible infection anywhere
Active angry and possibly hungry
All is looking good

read the hole post and impressed that moehawk is the fighter it is thats great good to see the care and respect u have taken for the snake :)))

When given the right environment snakes can heal very quickly.
What is the idea behind the cuttlefish? Calcium is great for bones, not that snakes need it though, and it can also help in the absorption of certain vitamins, but again not necessary for snake.

No pics until the 4metre one finally tags me
This was just a love bite that kept bleeding for a while
If "The Bitch" ever does manage to get me those photos will be worth taking because shes got a head like an axe with teeth to match and is incredibly strong

Cement
I have no idea about the cuttlefish bone
It was recommended on here
After checking out its medicinal uses in Chinese medicine I am very keen to try it one day
They swear by it for open wounds and tropical ulcers in humans

When given the right environment snakes can heal very quickly.
What is the idea behind the cuttlefish? Calcium is great for bones, not that snakes need it though, and it can also help in the absorption of certain vitamins, but again not necessary for snake.
I recommended it as I was told about it by indigenous people up Northern NSW when my son had a very infected cut. It has more in it than just calcium and I have used it successfully on many animals for many things. I thought it may be worth a try as antibiotics are hard to come buy in Bali.

"The cuttlefish has Chinese medicinal value. As recorded in the Chinese Medicinal Manual, the bone of the cuttlefish is very useful. I am introducing this to us today. Enjoy your reading!
Cuttlefish has a silvery gland inside its body to store black ink. Cuttlefish has pair of big eyes, 4 short arms and 1 long tentacle. There is a piece of bone (mainly of calcium carbonate) inside its body which is rich in phosphate salts, alkaline and elastic protein. You can find the bone is being use in Chinese medicine.
Cuttlefish bone is great for those having too much acid, frequent bleeding in the stomach, or Qi-asthenia in the stomach. For external wounds, nose bleeding or bleeding at the corner of the mouth, grind some powder from the cuttlefish bone and apply to the wound for an instant stop of bleeding. Therefore, it is best to save the bone and sun dries it for later use when you eat cuttlefish.
Ground cuttlefish bone is the best cure for gastric ulcers and wounds. Swallowing 6g of ground cuttlefish bone before breakfast not only stops stomachache, but also promotes the healing of wounds.
Generally, consumption of cuttlefish heals gastrointestinal ulcers."

Last edited:
Dont worry kaotic
I will have injuries in the future that I most definitely will treat with cuttlefish bone

I now have 99% faith that Mowhawk will make a complete recovery
The wound is closing very very quickly with skin growth covering about 80% of the area
The facial bones are all covered and it is quite active now
Definitely not drinking as much so must be rehydrated enough
Has shed
Is sitting in a box beside me as I write with its nose sticking out of the hole

It has been very interesting to follow the progress of 'Mowhawk'. It is amazing that he can make a relatively uneventful recovery from such severe tissue loss. You have to admire the toughness of the animal and the natural healing which you have assisted in every possible way. That recent shed must have an interesting gap :) I'm sure that you will be relieved when he eats an appropriate prey item rather than tasting you. We will all look forward to a before and after photo. Perhaps you could write up a little piece for Scales and Tails or one of the herp society newsletters as an interesting case study in reptile medicine/healing.

Pythonmum
I only let him bite me to make sure his facial bones were ok
I think they are fine
The shed was completely off but mostly broken up by the time I saw it

Am learning lots over here about lots of alternative treatments
Very very interesting some of them
I dont think Florazine or Silverzine would have worked any faster and probably they would have been a bit slower from past experience
I took photos three days ago but GF has the card reader with her in Kalimantan
Will post them when she gets home
Before during and after will be interesting because the recovery time for such a major loss was pretty quick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back