Major Skin Loss Down to Bone

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep - you just stick with that story ;)

Come on Be fair
I did that on the first day because I was really unsure of its chances
If facial bones were too damaged there would have been little chance of saving it and I would have taken the advice everyone gave to euthanise it
But got a great reaction from my Gf
She was all worried about the "Poor little snake"
Then she saw the claret and hasnt been near "That nasty beast" since

So in 18 days there has been significant healing...that is pretty amazing !! Considering there was no skin at all......I will be so interested to see when it is healed over how the skin has grown back and how much scarring there is

I am so pleased the poor thing is doing well.....youve really got to think it was either caught somewhere and it happened as it pulled its head out or has struck with force and hit something so the skin was gone....in a flash !!

Definitely in feeding mode
Cruising around and actively sussing everything out
Skin still not quite filling all the gap but closing in from all sides
Looking great

Mowhawk fed tonight
Two small/medium rats
Showed no signs of discomfort at all
Probably would eat more
But Im a mean daddy

Fantastic news about him feeding again. I'm sure you are waiting to see how well he handles those rats before feeding more. You wouldn't want to stretch that healing head too much at first. Time to get that photo reader back from the GF and post photos!

If you can get hold of cuttle fish bone (like you give to budgies) and mix about the top of a thumbnail worth into it's water or sprinkle on prey item it is an absolutely fantastic natural antibiotic, I have used it on every animal and human I have owned (yes I own humans, lol) since being told about it by indigenous people in NSW and for everything from wounds to abscesses to infected teeth and gums, works very quickly.

thats somthing im going to store in my brain....thankyou.

Did you use anything other than the cuttlefish treatment? Do you think that this had an effect on the healing time/outcome? Congratulations . . . is a very positive result regardless.

Am gonna look into the cuttlefish thing for human use to. Could come in handy down the track.

oh . . . and throw up some of those pics please

Last edited:
Great, Longqi. Happy to hear the snake has fed.

What do you intend to do with him once he's fully recovered?

Dreamkiller
In this case I did NOT use the cuttlefish
This was only because it refused to drink the water with cuttlefish in it
I will most definitely remembering it and trying it in future

There is a distinct possibility that Mowhawk will end up at Bali Reptile Park because they want me to train a few snakes for them to be as tame as my ones and he? is deseP1090215.jpgrving of a nice life
Lovely snake who has now eaten four small rats

Second photo is bad one of original injury
First is 16 days later
Third shows no real difference in the photo but was taken today and there is actually a lot of new growth that doesnt show up well
Blame the photographer
Fourth shows how pretty Mowhawk is and another potential problem that should be fairly easy to fix
It had a mild RI and if you look at the top of the mouth you will see slight swelling/mis-alignment there
This could be either a result of the injury or mild Stomasis
Either way not worried about it at this stage
Will fix them as required as soon as I get it fat and healthy enough
P1070927c.jpg
Fed perfectly
Not aggressive in any way when I handled it briefly
P1090218.jpg

P1090213.jpg

It's amazing. He looks very well considering he had a pretty good hole gouged out of his head. Is there any scarring in the new growth at all?

He's a gorgeous snake.

There are really no bad scar marks showing up as yet
It is just like the old scales are slowly growing back nearly in the same places
There are a couple of noticeable differences in the size of three scales comparing it with other retics of similar size but they may have been like that originally anyway
I think there will nearly zero way to tell in a couple of months
That will actually be a bit disappointing in one way because huge scars would have been a great discussion point
But will be better for Mowhawk as it will have no shedding problems

Hi Longqi, I have been watching and reading this thread since the beginning, you have done a fantasic job with this retic showing real love/passion for reptiles. Thanks for providing updates and a great learning experience that has been provided in this thread.

Thanks so much for posting the update photos. It is amazing how quickly such a major tissue loss is closing up. Enlarging the photos shows it really well and also show what a lovely rainbow sheen Mowhawk has thanks to your excellent care and his(?) amazing recuperation.

It just goes to show what tough little blighters reptiles can be. I can't believe that there's no scarring so far.

Scarring on snakes is usually only caused by cuts, or, abrasions that penetrate right through the epidermal layers. Some burns may scar too.

Thankfully, with snakes that are kept by loving owners in a safe and positive environment, you never have to deal with these circumstances. Which is why the recovery time seems so amazing. Even if left in the wild to its own devices, full recovery would have happened, just a bit slower.

Well done Longqi, not going to release it?

Welcome back
see you had a short holiday?

Not sure yet but I try to absolutely minimalise human contact with ones I am going to release
This one has possibly had too much human contact
I picked it up this morning and it just curled up on the bag then cruised round all over me and settled down comfortably on my shoulder while I was doing stuff
Very curious and never looked like tagging me
I prefer the ones for release to still be scared, shy, and a bit bitey
Tend to get them in and out as fast as I can
Just clean them up bang a big feed into them and drop them off in the jungle a long way from people

Mowhawk is just beautiful...I am really thrilled to see the healing...just amazing......and to think nobody will know why s/he is called Mowhawk is a little bit sad.....but in a way a relief.....lucky lucky snake to have come to you longqi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back