major skink/humidity

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluetongue

Reaction score
hey all, i have a question regarding major skink since they live up the coast do they need quite high humidity like pink tongues ? and does anyone have any pictures of major skinks i have notice barely anyone keeps them which is a pity for such a beautiful lizard thanks

Bluetongue,

Major Skinks are one the easiest skinks to keep . Humidity is not a factor . I have kept/bred them in indoors on washed river sand and hollow logs with heat only supplied through a 50watt 12 volt halogen globe ( tip :soak the lens part of the globe in thinner and lever out the lens cover , these globes do produce a little UVB ) .

I now keep my Majors outdoors . Had no problems with juvies or adults surviving the winters in 220litre black bunnings tubs . Given the chance in large outdoor enclosures with deep substrates , they will burry themselves for the winter , reappearing again in September . Bear in mind I'm in SE QLD , further south you may need to bring them inside for winter .They are as hardy as Cunninghams .

View attachment 174339View attachment 174335View attachment 174337View attachment 174338View attachment 174336

thanks for the information rory greatly appreciated, and the pictures ofcourse, its good to know humidity isnt a large factor for them i might have to get some , just a question since their like cunninghams and run away at first site of someone normally may i ask how you kinda feed them? by saying that i mean how do you know they both had their fair share? thats ofcourse if you cant visually watch them eat

Juvies are mainly fed insects but also offered 'barmixed' veges with catfood . You can keep newborns with their parents until the following year's breeding season . I keep the young together from the same year , they tolerate their siblings , but keep them away from the previous years breedings as they do fight . Adults are fed veges ( I'm lazy and use frozen mixed veges ) with a little catfood , sometimes they are treated to insects and pink mice . I always offer them more than what they can eat , that way everyone gets their fill , and they know when they have had enough . I have no problems with obesity in these skinks .

Like Cunninghams , they are flighty , and do not like handling , but they do tolerate your presence if you move about them carefully . Feeding time is one of the best times for observing them . Goodluck

Cheers,

major skinks

Rory,

Hello, I recently aquired some major skinks and I was wondering if you can share more info regarding their care. How cold tolerant are they? I keep them inside but summer is rapidly approaching in the US and I would like to give them some natural sunshine each day.

I saw the pictures of your setup and it looks like that works really well. How difficult is it to breed them? Also, are the sexes differently colored? I dont have pics up yet, but I have the uniform tan ones and the others that are brown with blackish spots on them. I was told by one vendor that the tans ones are males but another vendor has said that the brown with black spot phenotype are males. I'll upload pics once I can get some good ones taken.

Above all, nice to "meet" you and I appreciate any info that you can share. I just joined this site.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back