Making Feed Hoppers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I have the rack pictured below (I hope Glimmerman doesn't mind me stealing his photo but it's late and I don't want to go out and take photos). It's an awesome little rack that's a great size for my setup but the only problem is the way the food is distributed. Currently I am just putting the cubes on the mesh on top of each tub. This has a couple of problems though. First of all it is pretty tight between the tubs so you kind of have to throw handfuls of food on top and they don't always go where you want them to. The second thing is that having it covering a quarter to a third of the top reduces air flow which is not good at this time of year. The last thing is that it seems difficult for the younger ones to even reach the roof to get the food. So I want to make little food hoppers but you can't just make the basket style ones in the mesh because then the tubs don't slide in and out. I was thinking of making like a "food cube" that is just like a free moving food hopper that can roll around in the tubs but has anyone else encountered this before and come up with a better solution?

attachment.php

You can use those things that you put knives and forks etc to dry in when you are doing the washing up. They even have the little hooks to hang them on the side!

When was the last time you saw glimmermans set up? I swear everytime I get rats he has changed something or moved something around lol.

Nah that's not his setup I just bought the rack from him and that is the photo from the ad.
The cutlery dryer thing is a really good idea thanks. I'll have a look for some today

I find the rats like the privacy created by the food on top. Maybe it provides a "temperature gradient" so they can be warm and cosy , under the food or in the outdoors, exposed under only wire. If they cant get enough air through the 1 sq foot that isn't covered in food then there is too many rats in the tub.
If you are really bored you could make an automatic feeder with quad downpipe vertically down the side of the rack and appropriate 'T" s at each level to divert food onto the wire. the down pipe will restrict the spead of the food to say 100mm x75mm where the downpipe meets the wire.

Why can't you make the wire basket as you would if mounting it in the mesh top, instead mount it on the inside of the tub to the side or front. You will still have to slide open the tub a bit to feed but with that system there isn't a lot of choice.

On second thought, you could also cut a large slot out of the front of the tub and make a V shaped hopper, bolt this over the slot you cut out with the open part of the V at the top obviously to drop feed into.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back