Man accused of smuggling Aussie lizards

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shona

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Published On: -
Source: Nine MSN

A Californian man accused of attempting to smuggle 15 protected Australian lizards to the US by strapping them to his chest has lost a bid to expose the identity of an informant who tipped off US authorities.

Michael Plank, 40, faces up to 20 years' jail in the US if convicted of smuggling the 11 skinks, two geckos and two monitor lizards he allegedly collected in the Australian bush last November.

US authorities allege Plank is the owner of Big Game Reptiles, a Californian company promoting itself as a world leader in the breeding of Australian geckos.

On November 15 last year, two days before Plank boarded a United Airlines flight out of Sydney for Los Angeles, US authorities received "a call from a confidential informant" indicating Plank would be "smuggling lizards", US prosecutors allege.

When Plank's plane landed in LA a Customs officer performed a pat-down search on Plank and allegedly found two money belts containing 15 live lizards strapped to his chest.

Plank's lawyer, Larry Bakman, called on US District Court judge Otis D. Wright to suppress evidence derived from the pat-down search, claiming the search was "unsupported by reasonable suspicion". Mr Bakman also asked for an order disclosing the identity of the informant.

Judge Wright denied both motions, but left open the possibility of compelling the disclosure of the informant's identity if Plank can "present new evidence".

Plank has entered a not guilty plea to the smuggling charge and a jury trial is scheduled to begin in Los Angeles on July 27.

Go to Original Article

i wonder how many of his lizards in the park have been smuggled

good on the informant for coming forward and good on the courts for not identifying the person i say

bigi, how naive are you, mr tennessee confidential was only trying to eliminate his competition.

there are 3 people in australia currently shi*ting themselves atm that he doesn't get named and have to reveal what he knows, the canine-vet, the film-maker and the candle-stick-taker. sleep well boys.

well, i think she just told us who the informant is and the perp's 3 aussie contacts. lucky she is not in california, or she would be charged with sub judice.

If I was her (siouxie) I would be shi*ting myself that one of the 3 hasn't got a gun. Especially the candle-stick-taker - they can be witheringly vicious.

sorry, i didn't realise that if you call someone the "candle-stick-taker", how many of you guys think i am referring to you.

if i was me, and i am, i wouldnt fully understand what is going on here....

This is starting to read a bit like a script from underbelly......The nick-names mean nothing to me, I'll have to ask around. The candle-sticker-taker is a new term to me, although the mind boggles

sorry if this is a dumb question but...
how come if they got the tip off 2 days before he was leaving oz
didnt they stop him once he was about to bored the plane in sydney?
because he got stopped in the US does that mean the lizards cant be returned
to Australia? just curious.

interesting thread

we could turn this into the next APS competetion, Guess the Smuggler

but the clues are really too easy

Last edited:
He had made a dozen trips hey. He would have kept making them too.

Of course, 'people' here approve of poaching - im assuming thats only when its their rich mate that gets caught redhanded, what about a seppo scumbag trying to 'improve the hobby for all Americans'?
Lets here all the 'poachers arent bad people' rubbish again hey :lol:

i'd like to know how he didn't get caught taking herps from the wild without a permit?? and if authorities were notified 2 days prior to leaving, why didn't the australian authorities do anything....Slack much!

sorry if this is a dumb question but...
how come if they got the tip off 2 days before he was leaving oz
didnt they stop him once he was about to bored the plane in sydney?
because he got stopped in the US does that mean the lizards cant be returned
to Australia? just curious.

I am also curious about this ^

i'd like to know how he didn't get caught taking herps from the wild without a permit?? and if authorities were notified 2 days prior to leaving, why didn't the australian authorities do anything....Slack much!
I'm glad they busted him in the US, if he was caught in Aus he would have gotten a measly fine, I much prefer him spending 15 months wrangling the "snakes" in a federal prison!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back