Man dies after bite from venomous tiger snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

News Bot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Authorities are reminding people of the dangers of snakes after the state's first recorded death from a snake bite this year.

Published On: 01-Dec-10 08:55 AM
Source: ABC News

Go to Original Article

Whilst I feel desperately sorry for the man, his family and friends...there has to be more to this story! Perhaps he's tried to "tough it out"?? There shouldn't be a fatality like this if the correct first aid proceedures are administered. I'm a little suss.

Still, a terrible shame!

yeah i would agree with moosenoose, there have been 77 recorded bites this year and this is the first death?

also regarding the thread title a venomous tiger snake? is this opposed to the non-venomous tiger snakes? lol

not every one has the same view on death. and i don't believe any one has "pulled the piss" out of the guy involved moos and i both stated it was odd he was the first death out of 77 bites and believed he chose to do something silly like not seek immediate attention.

and feral was making a jest at the articles terminology, so perhaps you should read first consider second before you jump on your high horse.

It has now been confirmed as a Western Brown not a tiger snake.

Can nuchalis cause sudden death like textilis can? Anyone know? Jonno?

That's really sad it's the first death this year, so close to xmas aswell =\

Last edited by a moderator:
Can nuchalis cause sudden death like textilis can? Anyone know? Jonno?

G'day mate,

I'm not the one to ask - I've been cramming recently with regards to the clinical effects and treatment of Australian elapid bites but it is so complex and variable that definitive answers are hard to come by. My semi-educated guess would be a definite yes though - they are a very dangerous snake.

The fact that the snake was originally identified as a Tiger, and later found to be a Western Brown suggests that standard First Aid procedures for snakebite were definitely not followed somewhere along the line. I will make some enquiries and see what the story is.

Oh my, dreadful news! -If your not safe indoors,while near a computer,even a baby wrongly identified snake,can find you and kill you.-that doesnt make sense.hmmm

Poor man! A snake that small you may not even feel the bite. Or it sounds like the hospital might have given him the wrong antivenom? Doesn't really add up.

Yeah it sounds like something more than just the bite went wrong, either he didn't really know he had been bit, or the medical treatment might have been wrong.

Anyways shows our snakes are extremely dangerous and even smalll bites should be taken seriously.

I was watching the ABC, they properly identified it as a western brown, quite pretty really.
The expert called in was Brian Bush, the guy who trained me in snake catching.

Oh, and Echiopsis? You deal with it how you wish to, but by not immediately calling for the ambulance, he sealed his own fate.

I did, coz i want people(my mates) to know about snake bites!( and since im getting a snake good and bad sides to all types, ect anyways why em i explaing myself -.- ) Does'nt seem suss at all -.-

Jonno - Didn't mean to put you on the spot dude, just though you may have heard something! I'll ask BGF next time I talk to him.

I remember when I was bitten by a hoplo, what was it, 6 or 7 years ago now? VDK came back positive for Black Snake. They tried to give me black snake AV, which, apparrently would have been useless. Bart was not on call that night, so was relying on treatment from some poor ER Dr who had no idea about snake bites. I am so glad I had Bryans help, I can still remember hearing him scream at the Drs making sure they gave me the right AV, haha.

I remember Brian Bush years and years and years ago reporting that BHP saliva came back as Black Snake on VDK too. Scary!

Poor guy, would be interesting to know what happened once he got to hospital..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back