Man dies after bite from venomous tiger snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is alot that can go wrong with any venomous snake bite that can cause rapid death, even in todays modern world. There have been alot of talk over many years that for some reason humans are particular more suspectable to P.nuchalis venom than the lab test suggest. There is quite a few cases of keepers despite correct treatment being in serious trouble in very short time frames.

Makes no difference to the attending medics what it was ID as, as the hospital would have run tests anyhow, purely a case of media jumping on a story without facts. And Feral your comment as to what he was doing at the computer was in poor taste for someone who had just been killed, and you can't expect everyone to have the knowqledge of snake bite treatment that most on this forum would possess, the poor bloke probably reacted in panic and made a mistake that cost his life.

I know a few people who have been done by nuchalis, saw it happen first hand once too. One guy is still recovering 6 years down the track.. My point was that it is well known that textilis can cause death from heart failure within minutes. Last I heard it wasn't understood if it was a component in the venom of certain populations, or, if certain people were sensitive to said component. I was told in detail how it MIGHT work, but it was years and years ago, I can't remember!

Was wondering if immeditae (<5 mins) heart failure had been reported in nuchalis? Do you happen to know of any mate? (bushfire)

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes no difference to the attending medics what it was ID as, as the hospital would have run tests anyhow, purely a case of media jumping on a story without facts. And Feral your comment as to what he was doing at the computer was in poor taste for someone who had just been killed, and you can't expect everyone to have the knowqledge of snake bite treatment that most on this forum would possess, the poor bloke probably reacted in panic and made a mistake that cost his life.
Yes, my comment was in poor taste, call me human for using humour to deal with tragedy, I wouldn't be the first, and I highly doubt I'll be the last.
So there you have it.

And comments like he decided to "ride it out" or "tough it out" are just as bad as media sensationalism

It has also been reported the bloke put a fair bit of effort in trying to catch it. Probably in the misguided belief it would need to be identified, a myth that this thread runs the risk of enhancing

It has also been reported the bloke put a fair bit of effort in trying to catch it. Probably in the misguided belief it would need to be identified, a myth that this thread runs the risk of enhancing
I don't see how? Geez, even the experts need to go to the DNA level to be sure these days.

What are you talking about? What don't you see how?

I don't see how this thread can contribute to the mis-information regarding snake bites and the need to properly ID them

****, this isn't going too well at all...I came here tonight to own up to bad taste and poor form and now...

And comments like he decided to "ride it out" or "tough it out" are just as bad as media sensationalism

Not the first time anyone has ever tried doing that. I know exactly the sorts stubborn enough to try it also!

So he either didn't know he was bitten (which is highly likely) or he did exactly that- try to ride it out!! I don't know what's sensationalist about that?? It's either one or the other. By all reports he delayed getting medical attention. Perhaps he didn't know he'd been bitten??? All speculation, but otherwise a realistic couple of scenarios.

So now it's a brown snake. The time for the guy to have reacted just got narrowed down even further.

I did, coz i want people(my mates) to know about snake bites!( and since im getting a snake good and bad sides to all types, ect anyways why em i explaing myself -.- ) Does'nt seem suss at all -.-
Okay, sorry I took it the wrong way.

Not the first time anyone has ever tried doing that. I know exactly the sorts stubborn enough to try it also!

So he either didn't know he was bitten (which is highly likely) or he did exactly that- try to ride it out!! I don't know what's sensationalist about that?? It's either one or the other. By all reports he delayed getting medical attention. Perhaps he didn't know he'd been bitten??? All speculation, but otherwise a realistic couple of scenarios.

So now it's a brown snake. The time for the guy to have reacted just got narrowed down even further.

I realize there are plenty who do ride out bites, but to try and suggest that this bloke chose to ride it out with a, she'll be right mate attitude is crap. The more likely scenario is that he got bitten and had no idea of the procedure to follow for treatment or he did and the panic just through procedure out the window, it now seems the bloke thought it necessary to ID the snake and put in considerable effort trying to catch it. This mans efforts were not stupid they arose from lack of education, to suggest he decided to ride it out, is to suggest he acted like an idiot which is unfair considering he is dead.

Why would it be crap??? Because you've now read the latest reports, as have I, and now know the whole thing came down to a "dumb" lack of education?? There are plenty of numb-nuts around who still think a tiny snake won't do much to them because they are too big and tough! Considering most people can survive a bite without too much to worry about in this day and age (even young kids), and then have some poor sod cark it because he was bitten by a snake just seemed a little too odd for my liking.

So I don't know what your problem is, perhaps get off your shoebox for a start. Anyone in this country, in my humble opinion, who lives in the locality of venomous snake species (which is bloody-well everywhere!) needs to know how to deal with them and in a emergency situation, a bite! It's like living in the bush and not having a fire plan, it's like having a pool in the backyard and not teaching your kids how to swim! So yes, this bloke was a bit of an idiot regardless of what he did, because he turned a controllable situation into something lethal!

If anyone needs to step down from shoeboxes or soapboxes it's you. My problem is people like yourself who have a bit of knowledge about snakes expecting everyone else to share it. then media and people like you sensationalize a situation before the facts are even known therefore helping to perpetuate myths. When these myths do the rounds people think they're getting good solid information it's not stupidity or someone being a numb nut it's acting on misinformation, fortunately situations like this don't occur to often

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back