Marbled Velvet gecko & Enclosure Questions?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptiles101

Reaction score
So I've got my Thick-Tailed gecko in an Exo Terra Terrarium that's 45x45x45 cm, I've started to think of all the upper space I'm wasting as he doesn't climb, so I'm going to purchase one of those Low Exo Terra Terrarium 45x45x30 and put him in that instead so I'm not wasting any upper space.

Which got me thinking what will I put into his old enclosure, I'm so in love with Marbled Velvet geckos and have them in that instead.

Is an Exo Terra Terrarium 45x45x45 an appropriate sized enclosure for one or two?

As I know these guys are arboreal, is it better to heat the enclosure by a heat mat connected to a thermostat or a heat lamp?

This might be a stupid question as I know these guys are nocturnal, but do they need UV or any type of lighting?

& any other things I should know are more then welcome.

I dont have any lights on my tanks, and i dont think its necessary. A heat mat on the side of the enclosure does wonders.

Thanks Jordant, can I ask why do u have it on the side of the enclosure?
also is Eco Earth coco nut husk an appropriate substrate to use?

Last edited:
Its on the side to keep a hot and cool side and as they climb the glass they can get to the hotter spots very easily, it should be fine, i have used playsand and also a bark mulch as long as there is no chemicals in te sunstrate it should be fine, very easy to take care of and for winter you dont even need any heat for these guys.

I have purple globes for a basking spot a few hours each night, that way they sit out and bask instead of hiding all the time.
45cm cube will be adequate for up to a trio (FFM)

I have purple globes for a basking spot a few hours each night, that way they sit out and bask instead of hiding all the time.
45cm cube will be adequate for up to a trio (FFM)

What wattage are they? and are they connected to a thermostat?

Marbled velvet gecko care

Hey all, looking into getting a pair of marbled velvet geckos real soon and need a bit of help :)

My enclosure is going to be an Exo Terra - 45x45x60 so plenty of height for them, I will be using one of those Exo Terra glow lights and have a 50 watt red Exo Terra bulb for heat that will be connected to a micro climate mini stat 100 set to about 30-31 degrees, do I leave that on all day and night or only turn heat on at night?

I don't need any uv so got that sorted, but what kind of substrate I'm thinking sand or coco peat? but not to sure on what substrate will work with their natural environment.

there's going to be a few hides on the bottom and a small water bowl and heaps of fake plants and decor so thats all sorted as well :) any help with the above questions will be extremely helpful

Last edited by a moderator:
Just use sand its easy to clean. vertical hides are better that ones of the floor.

Hey Andrew! would a mini exo terra terrarium (30x30x45) work with hatchling velvets? I've got a spare one in my garage that I want to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back