Marsh/ Swamp Snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ando611

Reaction score
Does anyone keep or breed these? Just wondering how they go in captivity and what price you generally pay for them?

hi, im not sure on this but was going to put a post up soon myself as i am looking after a male marsh snake for a friend but it seems that he may not be coming back to collect so was wondering if anyone has a female they want to sell or do a breed with , sorry not trying to hijack your thread

No that's fine, i'm glad someone actually replied to it :D What are you feeding it by the way?

How hard are they to wean onto a diet of rodents?

A few blokes keep them. Their pretty easy to look after. Young ones need skinks,frogs,tadpoles or fish. Adults can usually be weaned to pinkies. They usually go for around a $150.

Cool so you can give em feeder fish? cause i believe it's illegal to feed em skinks and frogs. Be a pain in the *** trying to catch em for food too.

Are they nippy characters?

It's not real good to just feed them on small fish. Their fairly laid back. You'd have to be pretty rough to be bitten by em. Just catch a heap of garden skinks and put them in the freezer.

It's not real good to just feed them on small fish. Their fairly laid back. You'd have to be pretty rough to be bitten by em. Just catch a heap of garden skinks and put them in the freezer.

Isn't that illegal? Also, feeding snakes wild caught food increases the chances of parasites.

Is this snake poisonous.........?

yes, but in saying yes someone will probably say that venom isnt poision but it is. It is more accurate to call them venomous but poisionous is ok too.
Very mild venom from what i have heard.
The one in the "what this" thread i post had a go at me, but my dog found it when it was catching a calyptotis scutirostrum(little skink). It was alot more red than it appears in the photo nicest colouration i have ever seen in a marsh snake :)

Attachments

• marsh snake2 24.9.jpg
    marsh snake2 24.9.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 143
  • marsh snake 24.9.jpg
    marsh snake 24.9.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 126
  • marsh snake head 24.9.jpg
    marsh snake head 24.9.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 122
Jaywalking's illegal as well. What's your point? Snakes have got to eat.

On the feeding issue would it be legal to feed them herps held on licence?
In brisbane we got AHGs anyway.
I wouldnt mind getting some in the future, nice little snakes :)

It's probably illegal to feed them skinks everywhere. Unfortunatley if you keep them you dont have a lot of choice. It's a pathetic law. Some take to pinkies fairly easily, others refuse no matter how hard you try.

i know someone who has recieved a bite from a marsh snake, a little bit of miscomfort and swelling of the hand ( where he was bitten) lasted for about 24 hours

I'm pretty sure you are allowed to catch skinks and feed them to your snakes in NSW. Just as long as you don't take them from National Parks and other protected areas. Freezing them for 6 weeks before feeding will also kill most, if not all parasites.

In queensland you can feed them a variety of wild caught skinks(check the code of conduct or regulations) even ones that are disapearing in alot of places.
But in most cities in Qld there are AHGs so no needed to be killing the natives.

Also when it comes to doing the right thing laws only apply if you get caught ;)

I think breeding your own frogs could be a good option for feeding them too, is that legal?

AHGs. = asian house gekko?

If so are they the ones that you see running about your house at night, are they introduced?

If so I remember, when they were in Cairns, didn't have many around when i moved from Bris to Syd in 2000. Went back up this year and they were everywhere.

I was bitten by a marsh when i was 8yrs old only a bit of swelling thats all.Good luck finding them and i was wondering how big they get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back