Massive' eastern brown snake found in grounds of Canberra palliative care home

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny how every snake encounter you read about in the news involves a MASSIVE deadly black or brown or a HUUUUGE killer pyhon. Can't believe i have actualy survived this long ???

That's the same reason that you don't hear about people winning $10 in the lottery or someone being chased by a pomeranian. If it's not massive or dangerous they just don't care about reporting it. Hell even if it's dangerous most of the time they still wouldn't care if they can't think of a way to sensationalise it.

About 500 people get hospitalized from venomous snake bites in Australia per year. But it wont get reported if it doesn't sound exciting.

In this particular instance I would have to say they got it right and the description is appropriate. A 1.8 m individual is a large brown in anyone’s language, let alone at such a southerly location (as mentioned in the article). At 1.8 kg, with a body on it that looks more like a Mulga, it really is massive. I reckon something that size would also make short work of adult blueys and shinglebacks.

I used to see lots of browns at a property i used to work near Bungendore NSW , and i saw quit a few around that size over a period of 9 years0. Though most were around 1 to 1.5 metres. There was plenty of rats , mice and rabbits around to feed on. Plenty of bluetounges , shinglebacks , cunninghams and beardies as well. Was a great place to work for someone who is nuts about reptiles.

Latest posts

Back