mate was airlifted to hospital for snake bite

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mick666

Reaction score
A friend of mine was driving to Collinsville from Proserpine and was only a few minutes from his destination, when a "mulga" snake bit him on the toe. I thought this was strange, we don't get mulgas around this area. (our mulga snakes were wiped out by cane toads, according to one of our local snake catchers). He went to the hospital and they had the RFDS jet, fly him to Mackay. He couldn't tell me what he was given or what tests they did. When he got out from Mackay hospital, he went to get his car from Collinsville hospital. He found the snake and unfortunately killed it. He had it identified by the local dog catcher for some reason, who said it was a tiapan. I was skeptical, so I took the snake to a local snake catcher who said he was 99% sure it was something else. The snake was so tiny that he had to take it home to get a clear picture with a good camera which he sent to some other snake identifiers for confirmation. The snake catcher called me back to reveal that my friend had survived a bite from the deadly... Green Tree Snake

Thats not good that hew coped a bite, as someone whom spent 3 yrs in and around Collinsville ( never get those years back :) )i can assure you that Taipans are everywhere up there i have personally held 2 dead ones well over 2 mtrs long and thick.. i also had them in our house and backyard, the hot summer days brings them into the house for respite
i hope your friend is okay and all turns out well
tho sounds a tad suss with so many names being dropped on the type of snake

his whole story was suss, he was very vague explaining what happened. we get tiapans here too, and he was helping a bloke move a bunch of stuff from under his house (pig sty) so at least tiapan was plausable. but not mulga snakes.

Could be a tree snake with atypical colouration, and people trying to ID based on colour maybe? Any chance of posting a pic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back