Maternally incubated jungles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve heard a few jungle clutches going about 6 days early this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Congratulations man, that’s some real snake breeding stuff right there to doing MI. In my opinion. I have never tried it completely and probably never will.

Congratulations man, that’s some real snake breeding stuff right there to doing MI. In my opinion. I have never tried it completely and probably never will.
Cheers mate its really easy to be honest . All i did was put a polystyrene box with dry sphagnum moss up the cool end of enclosure and misted the hot end with water every now again and mum did the rest. Been feeding small meals since the day she laid and her condition is already pretty good.
[doublepost=1546203398,1545853345][/doublepost]So day 60 is when they all came out . Pretty successful i think got 23 from 26 . 3 were undeveloped unfortunately part from thst all good . IMG_20181231_075100_126.jpg
[doublepost=1546203776][/doublepost]IMG_20181231_080136_168.jpg

Right before the new year too. Well done SP.
Yep good timing ! Thanks mate
[doublepost=1546208672,1546207936][/doublepost]Some of these will be available once established etc if anyone is interested
[doublepost=1547108988][/doublepost]20190110_170203.jpg 20190110_170618.jpg
[doublepost=1547109075][/doublepost]Few after their first shed20190110_163832.jpg

No worries these guys are smashing food . Maternal incubation seems to produce healthy feeders for those who are considering doin it . Fat healthy babies thst feed really quickly in my experience

Interesting about the fat healthy babies and feeding response. I don't do MI but I do remove the eggs in a clump and keep them that way in my incubator, never have to pip, always big healthy babies and the jungles take quite large fuzzy mice first meal, never feed them pinkies.

Yeah all but one of these jungles startin smashing fuzzies straight after their first shed with no dramas and have had multiple feeds since. After reading about peter krauss's observations and his success with maternal I replicated some of his methods and gave it a crack and gotta say I'm happy really happy with results ... funny thing is this clutch of eggs had some serious temp fluctuations and imo only made the hatchies harder. @Yellowtail

funny thing is this clutch of eggs had some serious temp fluctuations and imo only made the hatchies harder. @Yellowtail
The very same can be said for hatchling turtles. If you incubate a clutch from laying to hatching at 28°C right through, they'll be fine and do perfectly well but if you let the incubator fluctuate up to 29°C during the day down to say 25°C every night, the hatchies are very much more robust.

The very same can be said for hatchling turtles. If you incubate a clutch from laying to hatching at 28°C right through, they'll be fine and do perfectly well but if you let the incubator fluctuate up to 29°C during the day down to say 25°C every night, the hatchies are very much more robust.
Yeah I'm no expert but it makes sense to me. Cant see anyway or anywhere that in the wild any eggs would be kept at 31.5 degrees for 60 days. But dont get me wrong doing it that way in artificial incubation gets good results . I feel like maternal just makes them hardier more robust .imo

Yeah I'm no expert but it makes sense to me. Cant see anyway or anywhere that in the wild any eggs would be kept at 31.5 degrees for 60 days. But dont get me wrong doing it that way in artificial incubation gets good results . I feel like maternal just makes them hardier more robust .imo
Yeah there's no constants in the wild... one day a turtle nest could be hitting 30°C on a hot 35°C day and the next day it could be 22°C and raining... no wild clutch sits at 28°C constant for 65 days. You python keepers/breeders are lucky, you can toil away with maternal incubation with little to no worries, too much risk with turtle eggs, it could all end if the nest hit 32°C it's game over. Too much time and patience expended to gamble with leaving eggs buried outside.

The other interesting thing about leaving the eggs in a clump is they all seem to be aware of each other and pip and hatch together over a very short period as do reptiles that bury their eggs. This was not my experience when incubating separated eggs. Did this happen with the MI clutch?
This lot of jungles were about as fat and healthy as you can get and you can see how neatly and uniformly they pip the shell.
IMG_0153.jpg

The other interesting thing about leaving the eggs in a clump is they all seem to be aware of each other and pip and hatch together over a very short period as do reptiles that bury their eggs. This was not my experience when incubating separated eggs. Did this happen with the MI clutch?
This lot of jungles were about as fat and healthy as you can get and you can see how neatly and uniformly they pip the shell.
View attachment 326354
I have to say those are very georgeous nhatchlings :O

I think them not having vermiculite and stuff stuck to them is a factor

@Yellowtail yeah they all pipped within a few days of each other . Definetely not as cleanly as your clutch though! To be expected though with mum sitting on them . Interesting thing was mum was feeding weekly on small rats since the day she layed and is already back in great condition
[doublepost=1548637616,1548565325][/doublepost]Really liking this one IMG_20190128_120132_512.jpg IMG_20190128_120132_512.jpg 20190128_115206.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back