Mbd?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BDkeeper

Reaction score
Hi all it's a worry and I unluckily have to ask this question. Do you think my thick tailed gecko has MBD?
uzunazug.jpg

As you might be able see from the photo his top lip is bent down and he's walking really weirdly. Plus on top of all of this his back is in a weird shape as well and another thing on top of all this to worry about is that he's not eating and he's getting quite skinny as you might see by the photo. ( I know it's going into winter and he might be bey mating but he is still running around every night and just not eating crickets)
What should I do, do I book a vet appointment?
I come to this website looking for help so please no negativity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based on that pic I would say a trip to a reputable vet is in order and soon. Its jaw and gait are definitely problematic. I'll let someone with more experience comment on what other options you have.

Fortnightly I guess but yeah I'll most probably be booking the vet in this afternoon and going asap :/

Thats your issue then, every second feed should be dusted at minimum with calcium powder. So yes its more than likly mbd caused by calcium deficiency it Highly lacking in calcium to have healthy bones.

He needs to see a vet. It's hard to see the full extent from the pic but he may even be too far gone. Looks like very severe MBD. I imagine the vet should give him oral calcium for many months. He might be permanently disfigures if he lives. I would imagine you will need to syringe feed him small amounts until he gets his appetite back. Don't give him too much if he hasn't eating in a long time. Just little amounts every day. I would start with Hills AD.

Thanks all I will be booking in the vet tomorrow and seeing them ASAP. I know I have been slack with the calcium never know it would of gone this far :'(

Good news I have put a uv light over his tank to try and help with the calcium and he came out at about 7:30 and started trying to catch the crickets :). But unfortunately he is to weak and slow to catch them so I have put a couple in the fridge to slow them down and we'll see how that goes.

Take it to a vet. Do you not realise how serious it is? UVB is not good for these types of geckos, did you research there care at all?? If you want to slow the crickets down take off the back legs. But it HAS to go to a vet to see what damage you have done to it.

try giving him some woodies (roaches) not only just crickets and yes just adding a UV light wont solve his problems. Vet trip it is for him.

Really needs oral calcium injections, there is no benefit giving it exposure to UVB.

Yeah I went to the vet a couple of days ago and got liquid calcium and liquid painkillers for him. I have stopped the uv lighting and will see how he goes from now.

I don't where the idea that UVB is bad for Thick-tailed Geckos comes from but it is not correct. This species are known to forage occasionally in daylight. For the uptake and ability to utilise calcium, they require Vitamin D. Given the gecko has been provided with calcium supplements on a fortnightly basis, which is not a long way short of meeting its calcium needs, given an adequate diet, my suspicions are inadequate Vitamin D, particularly given that it has ended up displaying the severe symptoms that it has.

Woodies are more nutrious than crickets. Try feeding them both on calcium rich greens such as collard, kale or dandelion leaves for a few a days before giving them to the gecko. Dusting with calcium should be done twice or maybe three times a week but no more. If done too regularly the continuous high level of calcium in the blood can result it registering as excess, resulting in excretion of it rather than storage in the bones (compliments of GeckoDan). Dusting twice a week with a vitamin supplement that contains Vitamin D is important. A UVB light of 2% would also facilitate Vitamin D production.

Oral administration of calcium has been found to be more effect than injection for animals suffering from severe lack of calcium in their bodies.

Blue

^Given the current state of the gecko, UVB is pointless. Problems show in reptiles after they have had plenty of time to manifest.
I understand that in the wild reptiles are opportunistic feeders, but from my observations of the the milii I keep they will feed during the day but return to there hides or shelters as soon as they are satisfied. That doesn't leave a lot of time for exposure or benefit from the UVB light. If this was my gecko (after consultation with a vet) I would be ensuring that the feeder insects had a "gutload" of nutrients that would meet the geckos nutritional needs before feeding.
I take great care in making sure that the feed I offer to my insects (as I feed them out) will be of benefit to the destined animal.

BD keeper maybe you need to evaluate the quality of the food provided to your little one.

Sorry to inform you all but he has passed away overnight last night. Thank you all so much in you're help it is more of a response than I expected and hope he has gone to a better place now.

Sorry to hear, this has reminded me to get my little one some multivitimen as I'd forgotted to up until seeing this, he'd been eating and shedding fine so far, done 2 sheds about to do another but I'll get the multivit anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back