me != food!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

liedra

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey guys and gals,
my coastal finally ate after 2 and a bit months (and a guts s/he is too!), but now whenever I come near the cage he rears up and strikes at me through the wire top! (of course he doesn't really get more than a bit of a shock). Is he hungry still? I would have thought 2 largish pinkie mice in one meal would be enough for a 3 month old python, especially when he ate another single pinkie mouse two days before (and did a quick recycling job)...
I've been told I should feed him with tongs to get him to disassociate the smell of me with food, how long should such tongs be, and should I also do something in particular when I defrost the mice? at the moment I just dunk 'em in some warm water and swish them around a bit til they're warm, should I put them in a plastic bag before I do so instead?
I'd like to be able to pick him/her up and stuff like I used to, but now I just get bitten instead :-(

Any help muchly appreciated!

Betcha feel heaps better now hes eating.
Two pinkies is enough but he would eat another one or two if given the chance I'm sure.IMHO I would keep feeding him two for a while and keep him a little on the hungry side to keep him keen.
You should use tongs as he might miss the pinkie and hit your hand by mistake so obviously that would alleviate that problem.Small tongs should be fine, we use tweezers a little longer than the normal kind..
What you are doing defrosting pinkies is fine.We drop ours in hot water from the tap,leave until cool then repeat.The second time is really just to make sure its defrosted fully.

Give him 2 days before handling him.Put your hand and just scoop him out.Dont hesitate too long and he will soon get the message that he cant bluff you.You will get bitten a few times but it dont hurt and since you should be expecting it then it shouldnt startle you.Important thing here is not to let him bluff you.He will calm down quickly with daily handling,just be confident and patient with him.

He is most likely striking at you thru the lid because he is scared/insecure as opposed to hungry.Once he realises you mean him no harm it should stop.

cheers M.........

You don't need to put them in a plastic bag to defrost them, I just drop em in a basin of hot water and the snakes seem to like it just fine :) If he didn't eat for a long time then it is quite possible that he's still hungry. Did the feed leave a good sized bulge in his belly? Is there anything happening around his enclosure that could be making him nervous or stressed? You say he strikes at you through the wire top, this suggests to me that you may have him in an all glass tank? If this is the case just try covering three sides of the tank as being in a tank through which he can see on all sides sometimes makes them very nervous and distresses them which can make them agro. Also make sure that when you pick him up you convey confidence to him as tentative hand approaches can also cause them to strike. As for the tongs it is more to seperate your hand from the food as pythons have poor eyesight and will often miss their prey when they strike so if your hand is holding the food he'll probably get you instead! So the length really is up to you and what you are comfortable with.
Hope this helps a bit :)

Thanks for your help! He didn't have any problems with me picking him out before (I have him in a clear-ish plastic tub with the top chopped out of it and wire flyscreen put in) but you might be right; I'll try blocking off the sides and back. The two pinkies were almost fuzzy sized so they made a considerable bulge, but I have some fuzzies I might try him with next time.
The suggestion to grab him anyway sounds like a very good idea; I've sat there with my hand outstretched over the top so he can have a good sniff and he seems to be getting used to me which is good :) and besides, I quite like showing off my "snake bite scars" *wink*

I've picked up some tong-things today so I'll feed him with those (they have a nice long handle which will probably also come in handy later! :) so yeah.

And yes, Fangs, I was so relieved I went and wrote up a website for records of such things, (here), because I'm terrible with books but enthusiastic with websites *grin*.

Anyway, it seems as though he just must be a bit territorial. I went in with some teatowels wrapped around my hands (just to see how that would go) and he struck at the teatowels, but was fine after I took him out and let him explore around. I didn't even need the teatowels after that, I got rid of them and he had a good old explore'n'sniff session. I think perhaps if I just do it every day he'll soon get used to me and I probably won't need the teatowels ;-)
Thanks for your suggestions!

Alot of snakes are like that,snappy inside the enclosure then settle once out.Because I fed mine inside there enclosures I use hooks to remove them,even the hatchlings,I feel that way they associate the hook with being held and not with being fed.They seem to get used to the hook and realise that when I use the hook I am about to handle them or clean their enclosure,and there is no aggressive response.

PS
I dont know about teatowels but I am a member of the glove party :p

Maybe it's time for Liedra to become an honorary member for "Love The Glove".....??? :D he he he

dan_lizard said:
Maybe it's time for Liedra to become an honorary member for "Love The Glove".....??? :D he he he

hahaha :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back