Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
congrats for the new family!!

Also how big a cage would an adult olive need. I really want one.

The year of the Olive - yep it does seem like it doesn't it. It's taken a few weeks to get it together - I had only planned on one but circumstances changed a little and I decided to get two. I don't have any immediate plans to breed, well not for at least four years with these two. At the moment they're in a small enclosure where they will stay for the next 4 to 6 months.

Alexahnder I'm not sure yet how big the adult enclosure will need to be I'll need to figure that out. I'd like to set up a realistic one for them so I'll need to do a bit of research.

Food wise as you can see fromm Slatey's comment they will certainly be needing a good food supply. I don't really want to start breeding my own rats and rabbits so I'll have to figure out the best way to supply them. 8)

Have I done something wrong? If the information I got at time of purchase is correct then my Bredl's are just on a year old but they are 120cm plus, Is this too big for a yearling ?? Have I condemned my pride and joy to a life of deformity ??????? :? :shock: :? :?: :idea: :!: :( :(

Phil

the photos of your Bredls show a pair of very fine looking snakes, I'm sure you can't be worried about them.

The diamond is supposed to be one of the slowest growing of the Aussie pythons. The Olive seems to be one of the fastest (Slatey's yearling at 2.1 mtrs supports that). I plan on keeping some accurate figures for my guys.

Phil - when you said in another post (or in chat, I can't remember) that your yearling were 4' i Thought :shock: "that's way too big for yearlings" but before I said anything , thought that I'd better measure my yearling coastals. :? HHmmm, the small one is 115cm and the bigger one about 125cm. So I didn't say anything! :oops: I'd consider mine to be a very healthy size, possibly even a bit small for their age as both were late starters in the eating stakes and I definately don't overfeed according to most information I can find (10-20% BW 10-14days) :D So don't worry, be happy! BTW, my 3 year old is only 150cm long but about 10 times the body weight as she is so much thicker.

The scale immediately in front of the left eye on one snake has a slightly greater angle to the leading edge than that on the other snake. This should help you ID them at least until a few sheds have passed. Examine them for small differences like this after each shed and you should be able to find identifying feature or two to help you distinguish between them. I actually ID my male and female Bredls by a small difference in a marking on the back of the head.

Good luck Grey-ham!
Damn they look sooo cute together! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back