Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello all, i'm new here! well der!

22, female in the ACT, and a big reptile fan.......

I've always been interested in snakes, i just think they are so beautiful and unique!!

I'm going to get a python soon, does anyone have any suggestions as to which ones (that are legal on a licence for class B reptiles in ACT) have the best temperaments?? i really like the Coastal Carpet Pythons, they are really nice looking snakes.....

anyway, look forward to chatting to some of you!!

Peace out.

I'd say a childrens (antaresia) is a good start as the are quite managable in size and space, even if you get one that is initially agro any bite is more of a shock than actual pain. Coastal carpets are variable in temperament I've heard (I've never had any myself) some are lovely, some bitey. Though with handling when young the majority become good handlers.

Olives are very placid in my limited experience.
Blackheaded Pythons and womas are more expensive but have wonderful temperaments and my BHPs have never had a go at me (even with minimal handling).

A carpet or childrens python are the common starters. My advice is get as much information on the species that you want prior to buying any. This site is good to get in touch with experienced keepers. Take care with you first buy as you bond more with it than any reptile you may get later.

Have fun

This site is good to get in touch with experienced keepers.

Yes, i am an experienced keeper and you can get in touch with me on 0422 406 9XX (PM me for last 2 digits) hehe..

P.S. i'm 22 and male, it's like we're a perfect match..

Hey Meg,
My first python is a Stimson python. He is just beautiful. Perfect nature (my 2 1/2 year old son can hold him) as a great size for a beginner. But beware, they are very addictive. If my husband would let me, my house would be filled with reptiles...

Welcome to the site, everyone here is great.

Mel

wow! thanks guys!

Mr Bredli - shame on you!! ha ha!! :wink: do you have any pics of your pets??? i love looking at what people have, so inspiring!! dammit i want one NOW!!!

Mel, thanks that's really helpful, i've heard that Stimsons are very well natured, gorgeous too!

I'd totally get a black headed python if i could, i'd have to say that they are just the most beautifully marked snakes ever!! i held one, one time that just wrapped around my arm and then stared me in the face for like 3 whole minutes, slowly getting closer and closer (made me a little nervous to be honest), then gave me a little lick on my forehead right between the eyes!! i fell in love with them that day!! she was about 2 metres with the glossiest most perfect head!!

Alas, they aren't available to me with my major lack of experience. Same with Olive pythons, but thankyou for the suggestions, much appreciated!!!

these are the ones i can have.... according to ACT law..... but they donts gots to know about it!!! ha ha - just jokes!!

Boidae Children's Python Liasis childreni
Diamond Python Morelia spilota ssp spilota
Carpet Python Morelia spilota ssp variegata
Spotted Python Liasis maculosus
Stimson's Python

here's a pic of both the male snakes I have. They are more well patterned than the females. Not really intentional just happened that way. Fluffy was my first one was snappy and nervous to begin with (8 bites from him). He's sttled down and is wonderful the girlfriend favorite.

Go the Coastal. GREAT pythons and also a good first snake if you want something bigger than a Childreni. And thats coming from me with 15 Childreni hatchies for sale! Too honest for my own good lol :)

Welcome to the site Meg. I would go the carpet python, get a hatchie and let it grow with your experience, jmo tho cause I prefer the bigger snakes. You have probably been but the reptile centre has some great displays and good advice (near Cockington Green - Im originally from ACT and dont know if it still exists??)

it's settled then!! i think i'll start with a coastal, then go for a BHP further down the track!

Olive Hydra,

i'll check out Cockington Green this w/e, i'm pretty sure it's still there, i've been going to Canberra Exotic pets in Kambah, they've got a lot of little hatchies at the mo, as well as some very impressively marked specimens that you're allowed to hold and all of that, and very experienced people that are always willing to offer advice, and they've said that some juvies are more docile than others so if i'm worried about temperament, just pick a nice calm one and raise it accordingly, with lots of good handling etc.

Would you guys all agree?

Yeh I have been to Canberra Exotics, pretty good little setup especially the turt pond with lizzies. Personally I would go for the fiesty hatchie over the docile one cause more chance of it being healthy and a good feeder. I have found that juvenile personality doesnt mean alot as they change so a snappy babe can turn out pretty calm as an adult. The chap at Cockington Green (cannot remember his name, but has a good herper beard :wink: ) is always on for a chat and you may find his advice differs greatly from what you get from Canberra Exotics, being a pet shop. I think you need to make up your own mind about differences of opinion in regard to husbandry, as I know the "bearded chap" preaches minimal food, handling, and heating. I tend to agree with him, but others dont :wink:

Ps dont forget to check out his scrubbies, they are awsome.

If you have not already you may wish to join up with the Monaro Amphibian and Reptile Keepres (MARK). From what I know of them they are pretty laid back and friendly:

PHONE: 0413 582997 (Ron Dencio)

MEETINGS: Canberra Senior's Centre, 10 Watson st. Turner

MEETING TIMES: 7.30 pm every second Wednesday.

EMAIL ADDRESS: [email protected]

Hi Meg, We started off with a spotted python, and then got a diamond and now we have 2 more being into herp's is very addictive actually our son has them but they are all loved very much by my husband and I. We joined a reptile & frog association for the advice and they have get togethers and we have made a lot of new friends we see each other regulary. We have been to Canberra Exotic's and Peter is a very helpful person and would steer you in the right direction with advice and help you can't go wrong in seeing him..
Welcome to the site talk to you again sometime.... Bronwyn

Welcome 2 the site Meg. I would go for a Stimson's.

Welcome Meg. Murray Darling Carpet Pythons are a great beginner snake as well. Ours are now about 11mths old. Got both as hatchlings. Very placid snakies. Cheers Cheryl

Hi Meg, It's nice to welcome another newbie like myself.

Go for the Childreni like my "Monty". They are great for first time handlers. I got him at 12 months old on thr 15/11/2005 and now have 6 reps in the "shed". This Herp thing is very addictive you know.

I can recommend a person with some Childreni's if you would like.

I'm Shane by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back