melamine or timber?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crikeymate

Not so new Member
Reaction score
What are the pros and cons on having a melamine enclosure over a timber one. I have noticed both and would like to know, if one is better than the other.

Timber looks better, just so long as it is sealed properly. Melamine is ok, it is fairly moisture proof (to a certain extent) but again it needs to be sealed (joins etc).

melamine is basicly chip bord. if it gets wet it will fall apart very easaly were as timber just looks bad if it gets wet as ray said just seal it properly but just make sure with mel. timber cant have mold grow in it so when you see mold on the timber you have a chance to fix it with mel the mold will most probebly start in it. timber looks better and can be ezer to work with most of the time. timber can support more weight then mel. i think the one advantage of mel ( correct if im wrong please) is that its cheaper then timber. also if you would like to sercure things to the wood then timber will hold better.

any other questions about woods or anything to do with wood work send me a pm and i will try to answer you asap

Depends if you're talking about ply or something of the sort, or building a frame and cladding it with T&G boards or something. I find melamine quick and easy because you don't have to paint it and a whole enclosure only takes a couple hours at the most. then again if i was building a nice big display enclosure that would be like a piece of furniture, obviously i know what i would be going with.

Melamine is by far the quickest to put together because it doesn't need a lot of priming, painting, treatment etc... It doesn't need sealing like timber, just silicone along the inside joints is enough. Check my album, I've made a 3 bay melamine enclosure with timber on the outside, looks good and is practical and easy to clean too.

Just ensure the melamine sheeting you get is HMR or MR - relates to high moisture resistance. You can usually tell because the moisture resistant stuff has a greenish matrix. It will be printed along the edge in any case.

Jamie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back