Melbourne Newbie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpDerp

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi all,

I'm new to the forum and new to snake ownership (not that I actually own one yet but you know what I mean, I'm sure). I have always wanted to own a snake and have recently decided to take the plunge and have started looking into terrariums, etc. This is all fairly simple. Basically I'm just looking at the quality of the product versus the cost. Simple.
But now I am looking into breeders. I have done some research and decided I want a jungle carpet python. They seem pretty simple to look after, fairly hardy and tolerant of newbies. But I don't really know what I'm looking for in a quality breeder. Or how to tell if someone is legit or full of s***. Is there a website or somewhere that compares breeders objectively? etc etc I'm sure you get the idea what I'm looking for.
I'm not in a rush to buy. I want to take my time and make sure I'm doing things right rather than rush into things and make a botch of it. So the more suggestions the better :)
I'm did see a buy and sell section on this forum but I'm not sure I want to go through a private person. I would feel more secure dealing with a business of some sort until I know more and am more comfortable with my knowledge base, if that makes sense.

Thank you for reading my ramblings.

the best way to find a reputable breeder is just that, being reputable.... having a name for themselves and being recommended by others - that is where you ask (like you have) other people who live near you on who they recommend.

stores, buy from breeders and sell for inflated price - there are some horror stories Im sure from people buying reptiles from stores. -in saying that, a good store will help you and give you the basics including heat source, enclosure, required temps - just at a bigger cost

to know whether they are good or full of ****, they will help you, give you some tips and tricks and understand that your new, maybe even ask for your license number, they wont just give u a snake and off you go.

If you do manage to get inside a breeders collection (some of them have a 100% no outsider policy), pay attention to the enclosures. are they clean? does he take care of them? do they look healthy? etc

the best way to find a reputable breeder is just that, being reputable.... having a name for themselves and being recommended by others - that is where you ask (like you have) other people who live near you on who they recommend.

stores, buy from breeders and sell for inflated price - there are some horror stories Im sure from people buying reptiles from stores. -in saying that, a good store will help you and give you the basics including heat source, enclosure, required temps - just at a bigger cost

to know whether they are good or full of ****, they will help you, give you some tips and tricks and understand that your new, maybe even ask for your license number, they wont just give u a snake and off you go.

If you do manage to get inside a breeders collection (some of them have a 100% no outsider policy), pay attention to the enclosures. are they clean? does he take care of them? do they look healthy? etc

I was warned against buying from pet store as they often don't know how to care for reptiles properly and they are often in poor condition. I would hesitate to buy from such an environment as I wouldn't want to support a place that, unintentionally or otherwise, mistreats their animals. I don't know how true this is as I haven't gone around and inspected pet stores policies and procedures manuals but it has a ring of truth to it. But it was being warned about pet stores that has prompted my post here. As I am concerned that it was my assumption that a pet store would be the best place to go. I don't want to assume a breeder is good because they impress me with big words and knowledge that I can't tell is good or not and unintentionally support someone who is not taking good care of their animal. etc and soforth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back