Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lplater

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Anyone heard on the news today of a man bitten by a snake in Melbourne when he put his hand into a dumpster? He is now being treated in hospital for the bite according to the news on JJJ.

fair go ren:( na im aussie , a dumpster is a large rubbish bin or skip if you prefer

This sort of says that "Tom" over estimates his experience :rolleyes:

After searching in the laneway for less than an hour, Tom 'The Snake Man' Vida said it was "impossible" the cleaner was bitten by snake.

"If the snake was here, I would have found it," he said.

"I've been doing this a long time - he got bitten by maybe a rat and panicked maybe thinking it was worse than it really was."

But advanced life support paramedic Heidi Taylor said there was no question a snake had bitten the man.
The big question is how a Brown got to be in the CBD in the middle of Winter... and during a cold snap at that.

Please remember that the snake was identified by a snake venom detection kit, not a physical ID, this means that they have only identified the toxins, not the snake. A person on the peninsula has recorded positive for a brown snake bite when he was bitten by a tiger snake, although not common, it can happen.

The snake could come in on trucks etc, or if not a brown we remove several tigers every year from the CBD!

As Snakehandler said, the SVDK only indicates which is the appropriate antivenom to use for a particular bite, it does NOT indicate what snake a person was bitten by.

We had an example in the papers here a few years ago where a person was said to have been bitten by a Tiger Snake which of course are not found around here, but because the SVDK indicated Tiger Snake anitvenom should be used (if required) it was assumed she was bitten by one.

Melbourne is a dangerous, dangerous hang-out ;) :p.....it's better than being glassed in an inner-city pub :lol:

He was probably bitten by one of our filthy Swanston Street hookers :lol:

The snake was IDed from toxins yet he wasn't envenomated??? I know BHP saliva can turn up as a elapid bite, how do these tests react to other critters....like rats ;) all sounds a bit odd to me...

LOL! Hookers! I guess there would be plenty of rats and mice in the CBD for them to live on and plenty of hiding spots. I heard that there are tons of foxes living in the CBD, scavenging in the trash, living in rundown building etc.

yeah you see foxes all the time
whats amazing is that they have learned not to become road kill you never see road kill.

As Snakehandler said, the SVDK only indicates which is the appropriate antivenom to use for a particular bite, it does NOT indicate what snake a person was bitten by.

We had an example in the papers here a few years ago where a person was said to have been bitten by a Tiger Snake which of course are not found around here, but because the SVDK indicated Tiger Snake anitvenom should be used (if required) it was assumed she was bitten by one.
I know from personal experience that Marsh snakes (Hemiaspis signata) return "tiger"

yeah you see foxes all the time
whats amazing is that they have learned not to become road kill you never see road kill.
Only in cites, in the country they are still common RC, particularly in spring when last years young become independent. Also you rarely see crows or galahs ( the feathered variety) as RC

If It was a brown hed have to have some venom in him.. Lies...
Have you heard of a dry-bite?

Well Fuscus(if quoted correctly by the media) the snake catcher said "As he couldnt find the snake, it must not have been there at all ..."
Because as you know with all callouts the snake catcher always gets his/her snake .....LOL
I plan on using that great information next time I get a callout to..."I am sorry sir/madam you must have imagined that long brown snake slithering across your pathway ...because I am a snake catcher and cant find it ...so it must not have been a snake at all ....":)

If the vdk returned a positive for snake venom, there must have been a snake.
The type of snake is the thing that is still up in the air.
Personally, I have never removed a brown from the cbd, only a couple of tigers and other assorted escaped pets but I dont see why it wouldnt be an e.b.
The newspaper must have rung all the catchers to get their opinions on how they can make a sensational story,,, i mean what type of snake it might have been.
I told them, If i was a snake in the city,and if I was warm enough,id be hanging around the areas where rodents live.
Id follow my nose till i found a warm place with meals laid on.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back