Melbourne = underratted DUW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gus11

Reaction score
I am currently down in Vic to see the family and celebrate my sisters 21st. since its been a few years i decided i'd best make the most of it and find some herps!
Thankfully i was able to be shown around to see some herps and i was more than excited by what i have found the past 3 days. as i've never herped melbourne almost everything was new with only a few species overlapping with north qld.

On to what we found
egernia whitii
DSC_3945copy.jpg

white lipped snake
DSC_4278copy-1.jpg

eastern blue tongue
DSC_4258copy-1.jpg

DSC_4266copy.jpg

blotched blue tongue
DSC_4683.jpg

lymnodynastyes tasmanensis
DSC_4005copy.jpg

parasuta flagellum, when scared they curl into a ball
DSC_4034copy.jpg

DSC_4047copy.jpg

nephurus milii
DSC_4125copy-1.jpg

delma impar in 2 color phases
DSC_4172copy.jpg

DSC_4184copy.jpg

DSC_4202copy.jpg

spade foots
DSC_4206copy.jpg

morethia boulengeri
DSC_4056copy.jpg

lerista bougainvillii juvenile
DSC_4023copy.jpg

adult
DSC_4060copy.jpg

pseudomoia entrecasteauxii
DSC_3924copy.jpg

DSC_3931copy.jpg

niveoscincus metallicus
DSC_4310copy-1.jpg

egernia coverntryii
DSC_4326copy-1.jpg

DSC_4335.jpg

aprasia parapulchella
DSC_4076copy.jpg

DSC_4085copy.jpg

crinea significana
DSC_3973copy.jpg

Pobblebonk frogs
DSC_3992copy.jpg

litoria ewingi
DSC_3772copy.jpg

litoria pearoni (i cant remember)
DSC_4139copy.jpg

forgot the name of this one
DSC_4016copy.jpg

we also managed to see these but i didnt get photos. i could have cried as i watched the raniformis swim away...
ctenotus robustus
litoria raniformis

i also missed a lot of skinks along the yarra that were a bit quick for me to get photos or ID.
I'm still yet to find a tiger or copperhead but i still have two more days! To rub it in they even advertise that snakes are abundant in some areas...

DSC_4750.jpg

just to finish off not a reptile but a funny little bird, the fairy penguin

DSC_4519.jpg

Hope there is some tigers and copperhead shots to come
Gus

Awesome! Great pics of some nice finds, I like that second phase of the impar. I had a little L ewingi on the porch just the other night too.

Nice pics mate, I'm very sorry I couldn't come out with you now, you cleaned up!

Great photos, glad you are enjoying the herping in Victoria! :D

It would have been a great night for you to join us at the VHS meeting tonight! Great talks and great auction with lots of reptiles being auctioned as well as lots of products, books, magazines etc! The free pizza and refreshments did not go astray either!;) Enjoy your stay!

just out of interest, where did you see the delma impar? Were the two colour phases found in the same locality?

Well Done Angus

Cheers,
Scott

BAHHHHHAHA when I read your heading ..I thought oh Melbourne must be having a hard time getting RATS!! underratted.....then when I saw your lovely pics realised you meant under rated ;)

great post and fotos Angus.

How far out of melbourne were you ranging on your trips to find all these?

I'm surpised you found so much but that Tigers and Copperheads still elude you.

cheers

Greg

Beautiful finds Angus - I spent 24 years in Melbourne and only ever saw about 1/2 of them!! Noice.. lol.

Fantastic pics Gus - great job.
As a complete noob question (and as someone who lives in Melbourne) where did you find these little lovely's ??

Wes

Trader, i forgot to even look if there was a meeting on whilst i was down. last time i was down i came to steve wilsons talk, which i quite enjoyed.

mike72, I was shown around by a friend so i can't give out any locations for things, and to be honest we went to quite a few places and most of the time i had no idea where we were. The two delmas were found within a few meters of each other.

froggyboy86, i was devastated about the raniformis. I had no idea how pretty they were, and the one we found was beautiful.

saratoga, i was suprised, as was the person who took me around that we didnt find any tigers or copperheads, but that changed today when we found a beautiful little tiger snake!! i'll post photos soon. i know we were within a few hours of melbourne but as i said to mike72 i'm not really sure where we were.

Wes, as i've said just above i'm not to sure where we were when we found these things.

So excited about the tiger today, pics will be up soon!

Gus

Today, the hunter for tigers continued, quickly a tiger was spotted but it quickly vanished into the grass...so close. 5 eastern blue tongues were found
DSC_4987.jpg

Then our luck changed. Thankfully a friend who previously had shown me around was able to spot a tiger! this one was slightly more cooperative and put on a nice display.
DSC_4933.jpg

DSC_4972.jpg

DSC_4949.jpg

To end the day we came across another little whip!
DSC_5026.jpg

DSC_5016.jpg

Gus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back