Merry Christmas Young Police

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And I guess you sit smack bang on the speed limit bloke, wearing your volvo hat with your hands 10 and 2. You're a pretty judgemental bloke aren't you Mr. brown!!!

It was a deserted country road. The cop was the only car I'd seen in 45 mins.

Doesnt matter whether its a deserted country road or a city road limits are there for a reason.

Just because people sit on speed limits doesnt mean they wear a volvo hat, now thats pretty judgemental !!

Something wrong with sitting right on the speed limit?
So the cop was the only car on the road, that makes one car you might have smashed into....therefore someone still could have been killed. The speed limits are there for a reason.

Revenue??

Actually its to allow drivers sufficient reaction time to respond to any extraordinary circumstances, thus preventing a possible catastrophe. Speeding or taking mind altering substances reduces this reaction time and where a driver may have needed just one second to avoid a collision, if they speed they may be left with only half a second.

I know it may come as a surprise to you but not everything the government does is to inconvenience or annoy you personally.

I agree that speed limits are there for a reason BUT COME ON ...are you all trying to say you HAVE never EVER gone over the speed limit before? I think 99% OF drivers do at one stage or another exceed the limit...and the other %1 drive that slow that they are just as dangerous as the ones exceeding the limit.....

Something wrong with sitting right on the speed limit?
So the cop was the only car on the road, that makes one car you might have smashed into....therefore someone still could have been killed. The speed limits are there for a reason.

Or considering it was a quiet country road, you could have hit a roo and seriously hurt yourself. Speed limits aren't just there for everyone elses safety but for yor own too! Im not perfect either, I have gone over the speed limit a few times but I now use cruise control at every avenue possible :)

I agree that speed limits are there for a reason BUT COME ON ...are you all trying to say you HAVE never EVER gone over the speed limit before? I think 99% OF drivers do at one stage or another exceed the limit...and the other %1 drive that slow that they are just as dangerous as the ones exceeding the limit.....

That is so true :D

After being in a minor accident recently which caused me quite a lot of injuries, it really shook me up and has made me a much more careful driver. I always tried to do the speed limit wherever possible but I used to drive a bit more aggressively which I don't anymore. Physical pain is a wonderful teacher at times. Oh and the accident wasn't my fault either. Some old dude who was handicapped and who in my opinion shouldn't have even been behind the wheel, slammed into a girl at full speed on the highway, which then pushed her car into me. I had stopped due to the traffic coming to a stop because of a previous accident.

Maybe if you were involved in an accident it might make you rethink your speeding. How would you feel if you were responsible for the death of someone?

Speed limits (IMHO) are indeed implemented to prevent injury and death. I do however also think that the policing of speed limits is quite often more aimed at revenue raising than for saftey. Why is it that fixed speed cameras are never on steep hills (on the incline side) and only ever on the downhill portion where it's almost impossible to stay on the speed limit without braking? Why are they not positioned on sharp corners where excessive speed could have serious consequences? The reason: more revenue is gained by placing them where it's more likely to exceed the speed limit, not where it is more dangerous to exceed the speed limit, ergo more revenue.

I am a careful driver and rarely speed. I'd be a liar if I said I've never looked down at the speedo and noticed I'm doing a little over the limit. I don't do it intentionally, so technically I am not comitting a crime (isn't intent required). Before anyone tells me I'm a bad driver because I should be aware of my actions, I have been driving for 30 years, have not had an accident for 28 years and have not been booked for anything for the roughly the same amount of time. I have driven every type of vehicle from cars, bikes, semi trailers, buses - heck, I've even been a train driver in a past life. ;)

Double demerit points.... I do not think they are a good idea either. The only time I'd believe the policing of speeding drivers is not a revenue raising act is if I saw 100% of the revenue raised put back into measures designed to reduce injury/death and not go to the already swelling government coffers.

Actually its to allow drivers sufficient reaction time to respond to any extraordinary circumstances, thus preventing a possible catastrophe. Speeding or taking mind altering substances reduces this reaction time and where a driver may have needed just one second to avoid a collision, if they speed they may be left with only half a second.

I know it may come as a surprise to you but not everything the government does is to inconvenience or annoy you personally.

Speedlimits are set for average drivers in average cars in average conditions, Unfortunately at this time of year driving isn't average, There are lots of once a year country drivers with more than usual passengers driving on strange roads which is a recipe for disaster. Then there is caravans and P platers which add to the frustration. If possible the safest thing is to stay off the road in holiday periods.

And I guess you sit smack bang on the speed limit bloke, wearing your volvo hat with your hands 10 and 2. You're a pretty judgemental bloke aren't you Mr. brown!!!

It was a deserted country road. The cop was the only car I'd seen in 45 mins.

When you lose a couple of good friends or family members to speeding drivers you might just see the light and not be so proud of your achievements. No, I don't drive a volvo but I have not had a speeding ticket in the last 15 years. Speed limits are there for a reason - to prevent loss of life. I think that's a fairly reasonable goal and if that makes me judgemental to point that out then so be it.

My lesson....

One day I was driving in my car - a very long straight road. It was night... No other cars (except for the Ford in front of me)... 100km/h speed limit. And he (in front) was sitting on about 95km/h.

It annoyed me of course so I overtook him - got up to 114km/h (you'll know why I am so accurate in a second) and didn't slow down much for a fair bit until the blue and red lights from behind forced me to stop - the damned Ford was an undercover copper...

Well needless to say I argued that he was doing 95km/h and that I should be entitled to overtake safely and if that meant speeding then so be it - the manoeuvre was otherwise perfectly safe.

Surprisingly enough the cop agreed with me but told me I needed to slow down once the manoeuvre was complete.

Even though he didn't give me a ticket he gave me the best bit of advice that I have ever had in my entire life when it comes to saving money from speeding fines... He gave me two words... Cruise Control!

Now I always use cruise control almost every where I go. And it really has changed the amount of times I could have got a ticket!

I'm not giving any Police Christmas joy I tell you! NEVER!

I say to anyone who thinks its great fun speeding that you should join your local fire and resue or ses unit (or who ever does road crash resue in your area) Believe me its not fun cutting deceased people out of cars, you do get a wake up call on how bad things can go. It makes you think twice thats for sure.

When you lose a couple of good friends or family members to speeding drivers you might just see the light and not be so proud of your achievements. No, I don't drive a volvo but I have not had a speeding ticket in the last 15 years. Speed limits are there for a reason - to prevent loss of life. I think that's a fairly reasonable goal and if that makes me judgemental to point that out then so be it.

Dan, I'm not proud of my achievements. I felt like a right tool. This is the first speeding ticket in almost 20 years of driving. I too have lost friends in crashes. I was trying to make light of the situation I have gotten myself into.

Yes, speed limits are there for a reason and I usually stick pretty close to them, my right foot just filled with lead:)

i agree with dan, and i don't drive a volvo or a camry.
cheers:)
And I also agree with Dan.
And the bit about being the only car on the road is just dumb. I remember two Christmas's ago, on an empty country road , a car strewn over 200 meters with chunks of meat scattered between the twisted metal. The crows were well fed that day

you need a girlfriend

my boyfriend got pulled over the other day and i started crying and yelling at him cause i dont drive and need him and the cop let him off haha must have felt sorry for him

I was driving a little too quick. 2 kph more and I would have lost my licence.

what was the speed you were doing when booked and what was the speed limit, and what is the rule re automatic loss of licence for speeding?.
you say 2kph more and you would have lost your licence, you must have been well over the speed limit.
cheers:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back