Merry Christmas Young Police

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speed limits (IMHO) are indeed implemented to prevent injury and death. I do however also think that the policing of speed limits is quite often more aimed at revenue raising than for saftey. Why is it that fixed speed cameras are never on steep hills (on the incline side) and only ever on the downhill portion where it's almost impossible to stay on the speed limit without braking? Why are they not positioned on sharp corners where excessive speed could have serious consequences? The reason: more revenue is gained by placing them where it's more likely to exceed the speed limit, not where it is more dangerous to exceed the speed limit, ergo more revenue.

There are laws governing where radars are positioned but not sure if that refers also to fixed speed cameras though. I was told by the Traffic Police when I questioned a speeding fine, that radars can only be placed within 1klm of where a fatal accident has occured.

Not sure if that relates to all states either.

you need a girlfriend

my boyfriend got pulled over the other day and i started crying and yelling at him cause i dont drive and need him and the cop let him off haha must have felt sorry for him

Married with kids. Don't need a girlfriend.

what was the speed you were doing when booked and what was the speed limit, and what is the rule re automatic loss of licence for speeding?.
you say 2kph more and you would have lost your licence, you must have been well over the speed limit.
cheers:)

I was doing 128 in a 100 zone. I was well over the limit.

Kersten is right too, I shoulda been on a harley, no way I would have been booked for speeding:lol:

Married with kids. Don't need a girlfriend.

I was doing 128 in a 100 zone. I was well over the limit.

Kersten is right too, I shoulda been on a harley, no way I would have been booked for speeding:lol:

I'm betting there's few people here who have a lower opinion of aliveandkicking's performance than he does himself.

You might not have been booked for speeding on the Harley; probably would have been booked for poor taste and slowing traffic....at least you'd have got a lift home and wouldn't have needed to push it any further ;)

Oh please. For all of you who say "speed limits are there for a reason" etc etc. I agree he may have been silly for speeding and what-not. But look at yourselves. As if 1 of you haven't sped in your life before. And if you haven't. Your time will come.

I, myself, donated $125 and 2 points!

Speedlimits are set for average drivers in average cars in average conditions, Unfortunately at this time of year driving isn't average, There are lots of once a year country drivers with more than usual passengers driving on strange roads which is a recipe for disaster. Then there is caravans and P platers which add to the frustration. If possible the safest thing is to stay off the road in holiday periods.

Sorta off topic...

P platers are targeted more than they should be. I nor any of my friends have been in or caused a crash. I honestly think most of the older drivers are the bad ones, because it was much easier to get your license back then. I will say here a lot of kids are stupid behind the wheel, very stupid. BUt you cant just say "p platers this" when everybody knows that older people are just as bad if not worse :).

Myself being a P-Plater. I have been picked up 11 times since ive had my license ( April 08 ) and booked once. PIcked up "just cos".

Why was i picked up? Just because i was a p-plater. I've seen cops completely ignore someone speeding in a BMW to go catch that P plater in the kingswood.

Last edited:
Sorta off topic...

P platers are targeted more than they should be. I nor any of my friends have been in or caused a crash. I honestly think most of the older drivers are the bad ones, because it was much easier to get your license back then. I will say here a lot of kids are stupid behind the wheel, very stupid. BUt you cant just say "p platers this" when everybody knows that older people are just as bad if not worse :).

Myself being a P-Plater. I have been picked up 11 times since ive had my license ( April 08 ) and booked once. PIcked up "just cos".

Why was i picked up? Just because i was a p-plater. I've seen cops completely ignore someone speeding in a BMW to go catch that P plater in the kingswood.

Ill keep this short so this whole thread doesn't become an argument over P platers and Golden Oldies. But the majority of times I have witnessed extremely bad driving, a gray head can be seen peering over the steering wheel or a P plater, and i have my p's, I have seen ALOT of idiot P Platyers, most probably drunk, just waiting to kill some one, and I feel like smacking into them and making them plow off the road into a tree before they kill some innocent person, and you can see the look on the young guys or GIRLS! yes its girls too, and they think they are the coolest **** out because they can drive fast in front of their mates, its pathetic.
Well turns out I couldn't keep it short.

There are laws governing where radars are positioned but not sure if that refers also to fixed speed cameras though. I was told by the Traffic Police when I questioned a speeding fine, that radars can only be placed within 1klm of where a fatal accident has occured.

Not sure if that relates to all states either.
from http://www.monash.edu.au/muarc/reports/muarc204.pdf

Speed cameras in Queensland can only be operated in approved locations. Crash history is
the primary criterion for the selection of a potential speed camera zone. A zone is an area
of land that is 1km in diameter in urban areas or 5km in diameter in rural areas and is
chosen based on a high incidence of speed related casualty crash or non-intersection
casualty crash problem based on analysis of recent crash data. Each zone of operation must have undergone a speed limit review and be approved by the Traffic Advisory Committee
relevant to that zone (Queensland Transport, 2000). Within each approved speed camera
zone, specific sites are defined where the camera may be placed for use. Sites are also
nominated through secondary criteria including: roadwork sites and sites nominated
through documented and validated public complaints and stakeholder knowledge of
problem locations.
The number of zones in which a speed camera in Queensland could be operated in the
initial stages of the program was around 500. Each camera is scheduled to operate at one or
more of 3 sites per day. The 3 sites are chosen randomly using a scheduling procedure
based on the Random Road Watch technique with the potential to vary these so long as
justification is given and the change is approved by the relevant Senior Police Officer.
Each camera was operated for up to 6 hours.

Well speeding, weve all done it, but I'd like to take you to the door of a family when you have to tell the parents that there child/family member is dead because they were speeding and crashed their car. Delivering a death message and seeing the carnage that it has and lasting effect on the family. It will slow you down.

Pines

I think all the laws that have come into effect over the past decade or so to do with p plate drivers are unfair, unreasonable and plain stupid.

At 18 people are legal adults, they can vote, they can buy alochol they can marry and most importantly THEY CAN GO TO WAR FOR THIS COUNTRY AND DIE.

All these passenger limit laws and curfews are insanity at its best.

So this country is fine sending a 18 year old of to Iraq to die but they cant drive after a certain time?

WRONG.

I think all the laws that have come into effect over the past decade or so to do with p plate drivers are unfair, unreasonable and plain stupid.

At 18 people are legal adults, they can vote, they can buy alochol they can marry and most importantly THEY CAN GO TO WAR FOR THIS COUNTRY AND DIE.

So this country is fine sending a 18 year old of to Iraq to die but they cant drive after a certain time?

WRONG.

for once i agree on something you have said:D

my mother was in a car crash 3 years ago.why? because someone was speeding and they had no right to change her life for ever,now my mum cant work,cant go out..has many health problems.
just a couple kms over the limit CAN kill someone.

Sorta off topic...

hehehe I am a "P' plater and an 'older' one at that.
I have been stopped probably because I was the only car that came through for about an hour and he had to look like he was doing his job.As far as I am concerned I have never been 'targeted'.
I have tinted windows so they really don't know that I am older until they do pull me up.

WRONG.
You're right.
If teenagers can go to another country to potentially be killed or kill someone else,
they should at least be allowed to do it in their own country.

Last edited:

WRONG.

Doesn't doing time with a "P" plate licence result from driving experience as opposed to age??

Not necessarily. I'm a P plater and because I'm over 25 I don't have to hold my Ps for as long, I also didn't have to do the logbook hours that are required for L platers under 25.

You're right.
If teenagers can go to another country to potentially be killed or kill someone else,
they should at least be allowed to do it in their own country.
well said

:x I donated $105 for driving unreg on Boxing Day. No, I wasn't aware the car had run out & the cop acted accordingly, lucky for me.
I can't throw any stones your way as I do live in a glass house :rolleyes: ! 128km in a 100km zone....yes, I have been guilty of that ( & worse :oops:) Easy done, I'm afraid, when you live in the sticks with looong straight roads & no traffic. (It's not deliberate, it just happens.)That said though, when in traffic or built up areas, I do stick to the limits.

The government no doubt will bring in gps speed control systems. So you wont be able to speed in the future.

Welcome to 1984 a few decades late.

:x I donated $105 for driving unreg on Boxing Day. No, I wasn't aware the car had run out & the cop acted accordingly, lucky for me.
I can't throw any stones your way as I do live in a glass house :rolleyes: ! 128km in a 100km zone....yes, I have been guilty of that ( & worse :oops:) Easy done, I'm afraid, when you live in the sticks with looong straight roads & no traffic. (It's not deliberate, it just happens.)That said though, when in traffic or built up areas, I do stick to the limits.

Thanks for that;), Atleast a few people can admit they occasionally wander above the posted limit. Even pines (who I assume is a Boy in Blue;)) can admit to speeding.

I love how quick so many people were to point the finger, so many mother Theresa's:rolleyes: in here, you'd think its the Vatican's own site. People aren't perfect and yes, sometimes mistakes are made:shock::shock::shock:

Yeah, I wasn't paying attention, went to quick and ended up paying for it. The sergent who pulled me over was more understanding than some of you lot.

How many of you Drivers have been at fault in a accident, run off the road, rear ended a car at the lights, cut a car off, not used your blinker,driven angry, been involved in roadrage, not checked your mirrors, spoken on the phone, had a beer or wine too many, spun a car, done a burnout, driven while tired, fallen asleep, zoned out etc etc etc. All these things can easily result in the loss of life too and I'll bet my left nut every driver had done atleast ONE of these on more than one occasion. Say you haven't and I'll call shenanagins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back