Mice

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KREPS2011

Reaction score
I just a few quick question about the care of mice.

1 - whats the best bedding to use? I am currently using tasmainian oak wood shavings.

2 - what is the best food to offer them.

3 - Can i leave the male with the females after they give birth. Or is it best to seperate. I currently seperate the females into a different tub when preg.

4 - Whats the best sized tub to house them in.

Cheers
Kyle

Hope this helps :)

1.Kitty litter works well but shavings are good if they are clean
2.Pet shops sell complete mouse/rat food,you can supplement it with cereals or green vegies
3.Female mice can mate and get pregnant right after giving birth! keep males separate(males can be a danger to the young too)
4.Depends on how many mice.they may fight over food and space.

1 - whats the best bedding to use? I am currently using tasmainian oak wood shavings. I use breeders choice kitty litter, available from Woolies Big W and leading pet stores. I use a handful of hysorb woodshavings, shredded paper and toilet rolls (the cardboard bits) in winter for them to use as bedding

2 - what is the best food to offer them. I mix Equestrian mix with small parrot seed and a good quality dog biscuit like eukanuba or Iams. I also feed fresh fruit and vegies. Mine like sweet potato, carrots, cucumbers, pumpkin and apples the best.

3 - Can i leave the male with the females after they give birth. Or is it best to seperate. I currently seperate the females into a different tub when preg. Depending on the males. In an established colony you can. If I find any mutulation or killing of babies I keep an extra eye on the colony to establish the culprit and kill them once found. It takes a long time to establish a good colony. I hate mice, they are destructive and disgusting. A dominant female can cause more damage than a male, killing all young that arent her own. I have come out to a tub full of body parts only to have to clean it up and start again. Be very cautious of new blood lines, they are sometimes like buying somebody elses problems. If you have mutulation of young, I seperate the pregnant ones by themselves to try to establish the problem mouse.

4 - Whats the best sized tub to house them in.
Good question! A lot of people modify and find what works for them. I have a wild mouse problem. The wild males love to come and pick fights which can lead to wounds and possible disease in your captive mice. I don't use cages. I can't afford a rodent rack. I buy the plastic storage tubs you use for clothes from crazy clarks etc. 55L up to 120L. I buy them on sale or if they have damage to their lids or tops. I make lids out of pine wood frame and screw on mouse wire. These sit snug around the top and the wire sits flush with the rim of the tub. The cannot climb out. I hang the bottles from the sides of the tub with wire. I also use to use this for my pedigree guineapigs when giving birth. Very easy to sterilize. They aren't UV resistant so don't store them near the sun when not in use. They are easy to stack and Big ones come with wheels so you don't have to carry the heavy ones. Size of tubs determine how many are housed. For my 55L I go one male to 3 females. Larger tubs (100L to 120L) I will have a small colony up to 7 animals. Remember tho when they breed you can have up to 30+ mice in one tub! I mainly keep the larger tubs for growing out the weiners. One tub for boys and one for girls.

It takes a while but once you get a good colony going you can start selling cause you'll be over run!

Hope this helps

Last edited:
i have 3 females and one male per tub all the time the males never touch the babies they will kill another males babies but never there own. i feed them bio mare you can get them from produce stores they are 20 something dollars a bag and give them all thy need

i use a 50L (i think, cant remember off the top of my head). kitty litter as a substrate. use my brothers rabbit food. and i have never seperated the male from the colony (1m 4f) and have had no problems. i also mix a handfull of food with the substrate.
hope that helped.

cheers tyler

i use 53l tubs with bio mare and frozen peas and carrots (if you want them cheaper grow them in for veggie patch and freaze them)
i use 2 females and 1 male in a tub but im going to have 3-5 females soon then i have a 4 ft fish tank that i use for a grow out tank :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back