Microchipping reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakehandler

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
With the number of lost and found snakes advertised here and in many other places and with great respect the "The Lost Reptiles Home" here in Victoria I plead with all owners that they seek advice regarding microchipping, it costs about $40 per animal depending on your vet, this includes registration on a national database so that if the chip is scanned you can get your reptile returned as soon as possible.

Dr. Shane Simpson of Karingal veterinary has new chips that are a quarter the size of those for cats and dogs! Here is Victoria it was discussed at WPTAC and the following statement was made:
One agenda item covered the use/application of microchips in wildlife. The technical wording of the act is written in such a way that it does make it an offence to mark wildlife (microchips and bird legbands included). The act, written in 1975, could not foresee today’s current situation and DSE agrees that the spirit of the act was/is not such that it intends to make these acts an offence. As such, if a veterinarian applies the microchips, no action will be taken against people holding wildlife marked in said manner. All microchips need to be of the nationally recognised standard (i.e. Trovan or Destron).
This can be read in the very first online edition of the VHS magazine, Odatria found on this link http://vhs.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Odatria_1_OCT082.pdf

So please help the people who find these lost reptiles find their owners....microchip as soon as you can, personally I would see Dr. Simpson as he has the latest technology!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back