Mine worker fined over reptiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

News Bot

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
A FLY-IN fly-out mine worker in Western Australia has been fined $3700 for illegally possessing five native reptiles.

QisONqjkIA8

Published On: 17-May-11 05:04 PM
Source: AAP via NEWS.com.au

Go to Original Article

From what I understand they don't have ballots in WA (maybe one of our western friends can confirm this). You also can't just release them without knowing where exactly they were captured

Same with any exotic that comes into the customs doors illegally, they get killed, it makes me sick, i want to start a thing where i can quarintine the animals and either send them back, give them too a zoo or keep them, i dont know what kind of "thing" i would need thou

Not sure really. I guess there are arguments for and against but apparently someone smarter than you or I decided it's not

DEC is very anal about introducing disease into wild populations. They will be euthed or balloted to licensed reptile dealers.

yea it is quite important that they are released from where they came. Snakes are very territorial. a couple of sites i work on, i know exactly where the red bellies live, never changes, same snake, same rock, everytime i see them. I cought a baby blue tongue from my partners front step in fear of the dogs getting it (was tiny!) kept feeding it things that i found in the yard, and made him hunt for them (i didnt get him too house trained) got a hold of a friend who worked in animal management. He said, the native animals have rite of way over domestic pets, so legally, he should be released back into my partners yard. he said they cant re home him somewhere else as if there is already a bluetongue in the area the dominance will come out and one of them will be injured or killed. its a hard subject releasing animals back into the wild.

As far as I am aware if some facility that did have Australian Standard importation quarantine facilities expressed interest in the animals whether they be natives seized like this or exotics coming into the country, then DEC would allow them to take the animal. However rarely if ever is something interesting enough seized that this actually happens.

yea it is quite important that they are released from where they came. Snakes are very territorial.

No mate, snakes are not territorial. Don't confuse territoriality with home ranges.

The Pygmy Python will no doubt be passed on to a facility licensed to keep them, the Stimson's will be put up for tender and sold to a dealer, so DEC will get some profit from this person's misfortune. All this publicity (propaganda) for species which are killed in their hundreds every day on north-west roads... The fines imposed are absurd...

Jamie

If they were waiting for him to arrive as appears likely from the story this is probably only the tip of the iceberg

They dont go to airports just on the off chance they might find something
He will have been investigated and this was the first chance they had to get him with reptiles
Maybe only second time hes done it
Maybe the 100th time??
Good on them for fining him

I actually stumbled across this photo, and news story.

Japanese man accused of smuggling WA's rare reptiles

I found this interesting, because as it turns out, I bought some of these very lizards from a dealer in perth who had bought them from DECC.

I was able to match up the exact markings from photos of mine compared to these in the news photo.

They were about to fly to Japan, but ended up flying to me in Adelaide after I purchased them online.

I assume that those in this story would hopefully follow a similar path rather than euthanasia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back