Mitchells Water Monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freerider

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Well I just got my Class 2 and am really interested in gettin some Mitchells (maybe from URS) just wanted to know if anyone else keeps these (I know simon does as I spoke to him when he was selling his) , Just wanted to know what size tank and what to mainly feed, I have a 6x2x3 aquarium that I was goin to make half land and half water would this be big enough for a pair of adults? And I was thinking of feeding mostly insects as I do with my acckies and Gillens is this appropriate or do they require more meat ie: mice,whole fish or petfoods?
thanks in advance!!!

Definately substitute the diet with some mice, roo mince, brine shrimp and prawns. Even certain tropical fish will be snapped up if placed in the water.

Simon Archibald

ok awesome thanks simon
Will they actually hunt them underwater? Do you think that tank will be big enough for a pair?

They will attack them in the water...or at least I'd imagine so (having not kept adults myself). Even my juveniles will dive into and under the water for insects that are in there.

Tank size sounds OK...a good quality filter is a must, unless you can clean out the water everyday. Water heating will be necessary if you're located outside of NT/QLD. Set at between 29 and 28 degrees.

Personally I would go a bit bigger in enclosure size but up to you...also try and get a pump that can act as a waterfall as I think the monitors will be more inclined to use the water area then.

Simon Archibald

ok cool
well I already have the tank (its a leftover) so I will see how it goes,
I live in near sydney so I was going to heat the water and the tank has a drain in the bottom so it will be easy to dump the water out, I have a few small water pumps laying around but never though of putting them in :D cool idea would probably look really cool too!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back