Mites?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laikin

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, recently just got a bredli python and have noticed that under three of its scales (that i can see )look to be some sort of black thing, when ever he tilts upward the scales protrude and you can see it but when he is down you cant really notice it, hasn't really shown any signs of mites (but cant really judge as this is my first snake) any help would be appreciated

Cheers, Laikin

edit: cant really get any photos because he's quite nippy and quick

i would move him to a paper substrate asap with a water bowl to soak in so if there are mites you can see them better, also seperate it as far as possible from any other reptiles (bluey?) untill you're certain

you dont have a torch or anything? best place to look is under their chin in the middle, theyll be very small, and sit under the scales

quarantine is important

if you cant take photos, you can take a video?
[doublepost=1600164992,1600164773][/doublepost]
73Mpzpo.png

Last edited:
i would move him to a paper substrate asap so if there are mites you can see them better, also seperate it as far as possible from any other reptiles (bluey?) untill you're certain

you dont have a torch or anything? best place to look is under their chin in the middle, theyll be very small, and sit under the scales

quarantine is important

if you cant take photos, you can take a video?
[doublepost=1600164992,1600164773][/doublepost]
73Mpzpo.png

Just put him in a temporary plastic tub for the night, gave him a decent size bowl of water to soak in, the things under his scales are a-lot bigger than the one in the photo above and are more under then in between. thanks for the help, ill give an update tomorrow morning :)
[doublepost=1600166578][/doublepost]
Just put him in a temporary plastic tub for the night, gave him a decent size bowl of water to soak in, the things under his scales are a-lot bigger than the one in the photo above and are more under then in between. thanks for the help, ill give an update tomorrow morning :)

Actually now that i think about it he is only like 8 months old so mites would look a-lot bigger on him than on the one in the photo

[doublepost=1600166578][/doublepost]

Actually now that i think about it he is only like 8 months old so mites would look a-lot bigger on him than on the one in the photo

I’d also be talking to the person who sold you the snake...

Mites don’t just appear

Are there any whitish spots on him(mite poo)? As they're usually more noticeable than mites themselves

ya i have an update, this morning i didn't find any mites crawling in the tub after a long hard look but i did find that he had a poo and it looked like this, this was his first feeding after 3 weeks of being off heat he ate a pinkie rat on Saturday

View media item 728

Latest posts

Back