Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
there together while i wire up an old tank i had for my coastal 10years ago removed wireing to put into a bigger tank thats with coastal now but ill seperate them now putting 1 in a plastic tub

Great idea mate. It's easy to get excited and short cut some things, as you've probably worked out from some of the replies, this isn't one of them. :lol:

The idea that newbies come here for information gets lost at times, and its easy to forget where we began and how much we actually knew when we started.

Don't sweat the heat you copped mate, while some of the replies could be seen to be ott, the answers were there for you. I can never reach the keyboard from my soapbox when I begin to sprout a sermon.... or drop my laptop........:rolleyes::lol:.

At least you learnt not to put different breeds together again, even small ones....:lol:.... Fair bump, play on.

Knocking up a couple of larger tubs (15 - 20lts) from Bunnings is a good thing in the long run and will come in handy anyway. I put my snakes in them so I can give my enclosure a proper clean out every few weeks. (I have 4 small ones in one huge custom enclosure). Just make sure they have the clips on top, put a heap air holes in the sides and top of them with a small soldering iron as drilling can crack them and keep them aside for just that. Works a treat when/if your using some nasty gear in your enclosure(s) too. Probably help give you the time too so you can make sure your old enclosure is fully scrubbed and de bugged instead of rushing a new snake into that one too seeing as it had a snake in it for 10 years. Clean enclosures = Healthy snakes.

Lovely pair of critters btw, you must be stoked.

Cheers,
Ned.

Snakes claim territory now? Feels like deja vu.

Home range then ;)

Put simply, neither snake had been in the enclosure long enough to think the other snake is a newcommer invading his home.....:rolleyes:

Someday, were the 2 snakes ever housed together before or did you get them from 2 different sources? Or were they even from the same collection?

Bhps have a large feeding response especially concerning other reptiles. It may not be able to actually swallow the olive but when the time comes that food is on the menu, instinct will kick in and big issues will follow.

My point was, I'm pretty sure we've had the conversation already that snakes don't have territories (or at least, don't defend them).

My point was, I'm pretty sure we've had the conversation already that snakes don't have territories (or at least, don't defend them).

Yes we have had this conversation before.... MY opinion is still that snakes like home to smell like home to them, so they will always seem to poop in a freshly cleaned enclosure & some people keep a pre-pooped poop to rub around in a freshly cleaned enclosuer.... so the snake doesnt have to strain its gut trying to squeeze out a poop to make it feel at home.... if it has no poop to poop :rolleyes:

I am so terribly, utterly sorry that my opinion is not the same as yours, however, I will continue to have my own opinion (if thats ok with you.... or not) and I stand by what I said tht I BELIEVE that neither of someday's snakes felt like the enclosure was thier own, because they hadnt been there 'forever' and this other snake has the audacity to infiltrate his home...... and this was probably good ;)

Of course you're allowed to have your own opinion (although it seems you've changed your mind again since the last?). The thing I have to wonder about is if they feel their home is being invaded, what do they do about it? Sulk? I'm still yet to see a snake defend their territory (unless eating your cagemate when you're naturally inclined to eat reptiles is defense). I wonder if anyone had some evidence for it.

Is this real?

Im glad someone answered seriously but its still a bit of a worry. Did you get them at the same place and if so what did they say? Just curious.

Hey tiger, rat said you wouldn't know a tiger snake if it bit you.

Hey rat tiger said your scared of mice.

*makes another drink and sits back*

Of course you're allowed to have your own opinion (although it seems you've changed your mind again since the last?). The thing I have to wonder about is if they feel their home is being invaded, what do they do about it? Sulk? I'm still yet to see a snake defend their territory (unless eating your cagemate when you're naturally inclined to eat reptiles is defense). I wonder if anyone had some evidence for it.

I guess they would fight? I have never bread snakes, but I have heard that 2 males and one female (same species) isnt a good idea, because the males will fight (possibly to the death?) over the right to mate?

It would be very interesting to find out by seeing legit scientific studies ;)

Edit: On the bottom of page 20 of keeping & Breeding australian pythons, by Mike Swan, it says "quote: Pythons appear to restrict thier activities like foraging for prey or basking and resting, to a familiar area or home range. Within this home range they may encounter other members of the same species whose home range overlaps. These encounters may result in male to male combat or male to female copulation. The site chosen for egg laying can occur through a variety of habitats within the home range. End of quote:

Also, on page 131 of the same book (in the woma section) there is a pic of 2 male womas in combat, north east of Alice Springs.

I have also read that some elipads will have a territory, say 2m squareish. If you walk past at 2.10m you dont get bitten..... however, if you walk within the 2m (or whatever distance.... 2m is an example, not an exact measurement) you get bitten, if not chased aggressively? Is this true? I think it was tiger snakes I read/heard of this about?

Last edited:
Both Olive Pythons and BHPs eat reptiles, birds and mammals in their diets. In a study done on stomach contents by R. Shine and co, they recorded the following percentages of these animals, respectively... Olive = 26 : 26 : 48; BHP = 92 : 2 : 6. One snake can eat and swallow another snake of similar length if the animal is relatively thin. There is an excellent photo of a BHP swallowing a large Varanus panoptes near a mine site floating around – just in case you have any doubts about their ability to swallow large prey.
Conclusion: As already stated, it is not advisable to leave them alone in the one cage as you may be unlucky and return to find only one fat snake. You may decise to take the risk and would probably get away with if it is only for a few days. However, you have been made aware of the potential risk, however large or small it might be. The decision is now up to you...

Wally,
I like your maths. May I offer an alternative I have seen...
E = mc[SUP]2[/SUP] Where: E = eating , mcc = mate in cage consumed.... makes for a good square meal.

It would be very interesting to find out by seeing legit scientific studies
clip_image001.gif
Check out “Australian Snakes. A Natural History.” By Richard Shine

Edit: On the bottom of page 20 of keeping & Breeding australian pythons, by Mike Swan, it says "quote: Pythons appear to restrict thier activities like foraging for prey or basking and resting, to a familiar area or home range. Within this home range they may encounter other members of the same species whose home range overlaps. These encounters may result in male to male combat or male to female copulation. The site chosen for egg laying can occur through a variety of habitats within the home range. End of quote:

Also, on page 131 of the same book (in the woma section) there is a pic of 2 male womas in combat, north east of Alice Springs.

I have also read that some elipads will have a territory, say 2m squareish. If you walk past at 2.10m you dont get bitten..... however, if you walk within the 2m (or whatever distance.... 2m is an example, not an exact measurement) you get bitten, if not chased aggressively? Is this true? I think it was tiger snakes I read/heard of this about?
Combat between snakes of the same species has only been observed between male during the mating season. Both elapids and pythons are know to involve in this. With respect to home ranges, snakes are not known to defend them. In fact, the home ranges of many sometimes overlap. Tiger snakes are a good example.

An aggressive response between two different species has only been observed between one species being pursued as a food item by another species. If you introduce a different species of snake into the enclosure of a long established of a long established snake, you can expect one of two reactions. The resident snake may act defensively. It essentially is protecting itself from becoming a potential meal. Or it may decide there is no danger and completely ignore the new comer.

What you have read about elapids is nonsense. They will only “attack” if they feel threatened and exposed. The Eastern Brown Snake has probably the shortest wick when it comes to feeling threatening and it will actively defend itself at that point. You could call it aggressively defensive. However, if you provide long grass that has plenty of cover, you can get within a matter of cm of one and it will opt to take off into the grass. Come across one in an open parking lot and its like to come at you from 3m away.

The poop thing is just that... a load of poop. I have seen lots of snakes put into new enclosures that have never had a snake I them before and I can assure you these snakes have not experienced any difficulty in voiding intestinal wastes.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Good idea to seperate them I have a few 30 l click clacks ready to vote to get some new coastals, and there inside a 4 foot enclosure so if thrte is another clickclack houdini its still in its enclosure

i did a study and its always helpful to get peoples opinions when looking at care sheets 2 and because they are still young i wasn't sure if it would be fine seeing they where only fed on Thursday and they where i got them both from is "amazing amazon" cheapest around i could find. great place
i finished wiring up the tank this morning so they are split up completely the bhp was put in a basket upside down with some small weights on it seeing he wasn't interested as much as the olive was in moving around.. the big old tank was empty for around 7-8months with nothing in it so quarantine shouldn't be needed there if any 1 was concerned with that

cheers to all the helpful people all is well now to all you grumpy sounding people =)

i did a study and its always helpful to get peoples opinions when looking at care sheets 2 and because they are still young i wasn't sure if it would be fine seeing they where only fed on Thursday and they where i got them both from is "amazing amazon" cheapest around i could find. great place
i finished wiring up the tank this morning so they are split up completely the bhp was put in a basket upside down with some small weights on it seeing he wasn't interested as much as the olive was in moving around.. the big old tank was empty for around 7-8months with nothing in it so quarantine shouldn't be needed there if any 1 was concerned with that

cheers to all the helpful people all is well now to all you grumpy sounding people =)

I think the "grumpy sounding" people were just as surprised as I was that you put a snake which prefers to eat snakes in with another snake... even for a brief period of time. It's just begging for trouble. Not that it could actually eat the Olive, but it certainly could kill it. And many snakes will stress in the presence of a Bhp, or even if they are put into an enclosure that Bhp has previously occupied.

If you actually did do "a study" you didn't learn too much from it...

Jamie

Seriously though, if its just a tempory thing you could but one of them in a plastic click clack for a bit while you get your cages sorted. Would be fine for a few weeks/months like this.

Dan

hey guys.
just bought a olive python and a bhp
the bhp is only 4months old and the olive is only couple months older
ive just bought a 4by2by2 tank with 2x hides just wondering will tehy be fine together for a couple days?

i think it's good what you've done. just hope they don't eat each other. i wouldn't recommend puting a BHP with and olive.. but i've put my ollie and Caostal Carpet Python together and there happy as 2 peas in a pod...558392_4159774710053_1353777076_n.jpg483048_4159774990060_1318050436_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back