Monitor Death From Impaction

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pinefamily

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
My wife showed a post from the Dark Side (Facebook) yesterday, where someone lost a monitor due to impaction. Apparently they kept it on sand. I don't know any more details off the top of my head, but thought it was a good opportunity to reinforce a couple of points.
Sand is a great substrate for most lizards, especially dragons and monitors. However, you need to use the right kind of sand. Too coarse a sand can cause problems. There are several good options out there, but one of the best for most keepers would be the washed playsand from Bunnings (and other hardware stores), or the sands sold by reptile and pet shops. It is finer, and should not cause any issues.
I say "should" because you still need to have good husbandry as well. Incorrect temps, humidity and diet all have an effect, and can play a part in your lizard having impaction.
Having said that, we have used the playsand for years now, and combined with good husbandry, have had no issues at all.
Does anyone else have any thoughts, or anything else to add?

I also use the washed play sand and use red sand in some enclosures but there is 1 brand of reptile red sand which is so fine it sets like cement when it gets wet,so I always look for the course variety to be safe.I wont name names but don't buy the red sand that looks like powder.

Think I know the one. Had it at the start with our very first beardie many years ago (pre-internet); have to say it made cleaning easy, lol.

I use crushed walnut for my dragon which most reptile stores sell but its only in a corner of the viv the rest of the tank subtrate is slate tiling

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I use crushed walnut for my dragon which most reptile stores sell but its only in a corner of the viv the rest of the tank subtrate is slate tiling

crushed walnut is more likely to cause impaction as it is indigestible and tiles are no good as they don't wear down the claws

I know crushed walnut isnt the best but slate tiles are good as it wears down their claws coz its like a very fine sand paper

Bushfire, that's why I mentioned about husbandry as well. Either the keeper has used a very coarse sand, or has had incorrect temps or humidity with a good sand, IMO.
One other thing that can cause impaction that I didn't mention in my original post is too big feeder insects, although I don't know that this would apply to monitors. It does happen with dragons.

My Netted Dragons are on sand and yes, they sometimes ingest it while feeding, but each time they defecate with no problems. While my monitors and Frill Necks are not on sand, they're on a slightly coarser grade of coir peat mixed with eucalyptus leaf litter, and they do sometimes ingest the substrate, and each time they defecate normally.

I find that excessive rodent hair, particularly for small lizards, can pose a bit of trouble passing through. Larger lizards appear to have no problems defecating however.

Oshkii, do you have any particular reason for not having frillies on sand? I will be scoring 1 or 2 soonish and planned on sand

No, none at all. Sand just didn't really suit my woodland theme. Sand would be a fine enough substrate. Good luck with your frillies. They're heaps of fun and have monster appetites.

Last edited:
Washed play sand and fine red dessert sand (the real stuff not the fake BS) are awesome substartes! I keep everything bar my mertens, frogs, and tryoni on it! Never had a problem with impaction or anything like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back