Monitor help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cyber_crimes

Anyone here keep monitors? I was wondering whats a good monitor to start out with? I thought maybe an ackie due to smaller size etc.What I am actually after is a hardy species with a good temprement?Anyone have any suggestions?

I don't actually keep them, but I was looking into it about a month ago. Some good friends of mine who keep a whole range suggested Ridge Tails and Black Headed Monitors.

If you are on Australianherps, Bob Withey (Snaketails) is selling a few Black Headed Monitors at the moment.

ackies or gillens pygmy monitors as they are small,hardy and have good temperment from what i hear.
sand monitors are also good but they dont stay small.
this is all from what ive heard so i dont know if it is acurate.

Pygmy mulga monitors would be awesome, however they are rare and hellishly expensive! The gillens pygmy's may be expensive as well.... Don't know though.... The ridge tails (acanthurus) and black headeds are small-ish and can be kept in a relatively manageable enclosure.

Damn it! Now I want to get some as well.......! :evil:

Just spent the last few hours looking through sites reading up on monitors etc.Seems ackies are actually too small for what I want as I want to keep them in an outside pool (no water of course) Ok so I want something that grows maybe 3-4+ foot in length (yet still handable)and will adapt to sydney weather outside. Anything like that available?perhaps a sand monitor as roadkill5000 suggested?

hey dan gillens pygmy and pygmy mulgas are the same thing :)
sand monitors are from the sydney area im pretty sure so addapting wouldnt be that hard.

roadkill5000 said:
hey dan gillens pygmy and pygmy mulgas are the same thing :)
sand monitors are from the sydney area im pretty sure so addapting wouldnt be that hard.

Ha ha ha!!!! Oops..... Well there you go! :D Guess I don't know my monitors very well yet..... :?

(OK, now where did my book go, I need to re-read the bl00dy thing again!) :lol:

:p Depending on your licence these are some worth checking out;
goulds sand monitors grow to about 1.6mtrs
mertins water monitor 1.2mtres
spencers monitor 1.2mtre
tristis or blackhead monitors 80cm
from what i have seen most those monitors are all reasonably kept in captivity. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back