Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phoebe

Reaction score
I took this photo over a year ago and have always thought this monitor to be a heath monitor (Varanus rosenbergi). I am now having second thoughts and now believe it to be a Gould's monitor (Varanus gouldii). He was only a young one and was found at Awabakal in Newcastle.

Could someone confirm the ID? :)

18066_234455428035_643703035_3352089_641632_n.jpg

comparing it to my yound gouldii infront of me
that is looking very similar, especialy in markings..

but they goulds and heath do look quite close.

Yes that is a Sand Monitor-Varanus Gouldii Gouldii going by its colours and markings and where it comes from natually.

Thanks for that :)
I originally thought it was a Heath mainly because it was in a heath environment haha.

It's locality says it's a heathy, though you have to remember that Heath Monitors are virtually ( and used to be called) a "Sydney Sand Monitor" and yes I know they are found in other states.... the tail tip will tell you what it is, as east coast sandies have an unbanded tail tip, heathies have dark coloured tails all the way to the end.

Looks to be a V.gouldii from the overall patterning. There have been plenty of gouldii found further south than Newcastle.

I wonder if gouldii and rosenbergi can interbreed (not at all suggesting they do). Hmmm.

Looks to be a V.gouldii from the overall patterning. There have been plenty of gouldii found further south than Newcastle.

I wonder if gouldii and rosenbergi can interbreed (not at all suggesting they do). Hmmm.

On the coast?, yes they will willingly copulate at least in captivity.

Awesome looking sand monitor. We found one near our place recently which was a bit odd also, usually only get lacies around here!!!

very nice find, didnt think they were found that close to the coast in sydney region, always thought only upper hunter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back