Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would love to see some of your "functional" enclosures that you provide for your monitors, SA_Goannas - post some pics and show us all how it is done...

I can see my post caused you to get your frilly little knickers in a twist, for that I'm sorry, I didn't mean to rock the boat & possibly appear to be a know-it-all. Ignore my advice GeckoPhotographer, according to Sam it's in all likelihood wrong... I'll STFU now :)

Thanks for your feedback I do appreciate it. As Sam has said I'd love to see your enclosures.

Horizontal branches are one thing I would certainly like to add but am exploring ways to do without drilling holes in the enclosure itself which I'd much prefer not to do. If you could provide me with some ideas for this that would be great.

What makes you think either of my two basking spots are poor? Both reach temperatures above 50 and one closer to 65. The monitor is able to spread himself out or bask under cover in both of the spots. In the wild these guys bask fine on tree branches why in captivity do they need a stack?

An enclosure doesn't need to be busy to be good. I've tried 3 or so rather busy designs for this monitor and never found them at all functional.

In terms of getting rid of the cage light I totally agree, I hate it, but can't get rid of it, it holds the light there. It's a crap part of the enclosure design but seeing as the enclosure was a present I'd prefer not to insult the buyer by getting a new enclosure.

I'd be in the SA Goannas camp on this one, also. Having said that, I've found Gillens to be very adaptable little goannas as long as you provide a good hotspot. I found terrestrial enclosures easier to maintain a good heat gradient than taller units, so used that set up for my Gillens. Sdaji wrote a very good article a few years back in the now defunct Reptiles Oz mag which is well worth a read, if you haven't already. I adapted an old Ackie set up for my Gillens, as you can see, plenty of stacks and not much in the way of branches. Jipp's new enclosure would work just as well for Gillens I feel, once he's finished with it, of course:)!

Attachments

• 21-10-2010 12;30;35 PM.jpg
    21-10-2010 12;30;35 PM.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 196
  • Goblin meets Jipp 002 [1600x1200].jpg
    Goblin meets Jipp 002 [1600x1200].jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 225
SA Goannas, you're probably referring to my enclosure, I might let you know that just because some people do not like unnatural looking enclosures such as the above doesn't mean time and effort didn't go into my enclosure. The fact that it looks plain and boring to you is your aesthetic taste and enclosures like the one above look highly unnatural and don't suit my aesthetic taste at all.
As long as the enclosure provides what the animals need (jay I'm sure your monitors love their enclosure) and I believe mine does, I don't think the persons aesthetic tastes really matter.

P.s. My enclosure design is based on a number of enclosure designs I've gone through with the same monitor and how I've found he utilized these designs, I am still actively trying to change and improve the design and I do welcome and take in any criticism of it you'd like to make.

I agree, my enclosure does not look too natural, but each to their own like you've said. As long as the basic requirements are met and the monitors seem happy that's all that matters :D I've got 2 basking spots at 65+ on the slate and 55+ on the branches, and the Gillens' never had to fight over basking spots! That was the main idea behind the enclosure anyway.

Yeah it was your enclosure. I wasn't purely talking aesthetics, personally I'm not one for just making a pretty enclosure, functionality is more important. From memory you had no horizontal branches, a poor basking spot, you had a cage around your heat lamp & no tight spaces that your monitor could squeeze in to. If I was you I'd fill it with a heap of branches running top to bottom, side to side, some hollow logs suspended near the top, a good size basking spot & get rid of the cage around your lamp. The other Gillen's enclosure above, while looking more aesthetically appealing, is more importantly substantially more functional than yours as it makes better use of the available space. Please take this feedback the right way, it's as constructive as I can be & is meant that way :)

I am still experimenting with my enclosure too. Having done some research about the Gillens prior to acquiring them, my knowledge was that they needed hot basking spots, branches and tight spaces! Now that they've spent two weeks in their enclosure I will be amending the design based on their behaviours (eg add a stack, some hollow logs, more vines). They do live up to their reputation and explore every bit of furniture in there though :D So you reckon light cages is a no go?

very nice jay,they would be fun to watch in there,when they get some size on them id be putting a nesting area in there,i keep one in there year round,sometimes they like to mess around in there,humidness of damp soil i guess,mine often rest in it

I'd be in the SA Goannas camp on this one, also. Having said that, I've found Gillens to be very adaptable little goannas as long as you provide a good hotspot. I found terrestrial enclosures easier to maintain a good heat gradient than taller units, so used that set up for my Gillens. Sdaji wrote a very good article a few years back in the now defunct Reptiles Oz mag which is well worth a read, if you haven't already. I adapted an old Ackie set up for my Gillens, as you can see, plenty of stacks and not much in the way of branches. Jipp's new enclosure would work just as well for Gillens I feel, once he's finished with it, of course:)!

Amazing enclosures imported_varanus! Any close-up pics of both the enclosures? Very nice looking lacies btw ;)

I can see my post caused you to get your frilly little knickers in a twist, for that I'm sorry, I didn't mean to rock the boat & possibly appear to be a know-it-all. Ignore my advice GeckoPhotographer, according to Sam it's in all likelihood wrong... I'll STFU now :)

Not at all as neither of their enclosures has anything to do with me. I'm genuinely curious to see what you provide for your monitors.

So come on, post some pics up.

So you reckon light cages is a no go?
Well some people say they may try to climb them and burn themselves, I find this silly they may try the same with an unshielded light, they're pretty smart and they touch something hot they don't touch it again.
There is a very real risk with light cages though that if they get inside them, and they are very clever at weaving into tight gaps, they can be trapped inside and overheat, causing death. I've had to be rather careful in trying to seal my light cage to prevent this seeing as it can't be removed without cutting he light cord out.

I agree with that if the monitor seems happy all is good.

i dont use light cages,but cant see any issues using them,just be wary if they are close to branches ect,as gillens will be able to jump on them and hold on quite easily,mine often tripod close to the light and check it out

i dont use light cages,but cant see any issues using them,just be wary if they are close to branches ect,as gillens will be able to jump on them and hold on quite easily,mine often tripod close to the light and check it out

Well some people say they may try to climb them and burn themselves, I find this silly they may try the same with an unshielded light, they're pretty smart and they touch something hot they don't touch it again.
There is a very real risk with light cages though that if they get inside them, and they are very clever at weaving into tight gaps, they can be trapped inside and overheat, causing death. I've had to be rather careful in trying to seal my light cage to prevent this seeing as it can't be removed without cutting he light cord out.

I agree with that if the monitor seems happy all is good.

Thanks for the suggestion guys! There is definitely not enough gaps for the gillens to squeeze into the light cages (I have gaps of all sizes in the enclosure so I am aware of how little space they need to get in)!

Thanks, prolly somewhere but I'd have to dig them out!

Lovely Gillens; does anyone keep the SA animals anymore?

Thanks mate! The one thing that really attracted me about gillens is that they remind you of young lacies :lol:

i watched mine hugging a 100w globe for a few seconds, he jumped then rated the light with his front legs and tail pressed against the rock wall but he was fine haven't seen him do it again lol, but i lifted the ho spot a bit but its over 65c now and they still all lay right under it...

I ended up using large hollows that i could fit my hand in , but packed them with curled bark to create tighter lodgings. I had a large branch with a small hollow that I thought the gillens couldnt get into. They did. I had to wait weeks to catch them both outside the branch and remove it. I wouldnt underestimate where they can fit.

I also think functional wins over pretty any day. The enclosure is for the monitor, not for you or your ego .

I also think functional wins over pretty any day. The enclosure is for the monitor, not for you or your ego .

I'm sorry if I gave the impression I disagreed with this. I totally agree with it.

but packed them with curled bark to create tighter lodgings
I should not parts of the logs in my cage are packed like this, I think it's a great method (even if my logs aren't quite that big.

I hope that's not a reference to me? I totally agree functional wins btw. I am very open to constructive criticisms, and I'd like to specify that my enclosure was designed with "functionality" as the primary driver and not my ego :)

Who cares boys ?? lets see who breeds theirs first:rolleyes:

Lol it's not a competition. But on a random note, I did take a pic of my 6 weeks old gillens doing the "unexplanable copulation" :lol: Now, I just need to work out if that was a FvM, FvF or a sausage fest (highly unlikely unless 1 is queer) :rolleyes:

S1130014.JPG

Don't discount it! I have two female monitors that are occasionally in "lerv":)! I find many small monitor species do this from a young age. Just be thankful that at least they're not trying to kill eachother!!

Attachments

• WHAT THE @!! 002 [1600x1200].jpg
    WHAT THE @!! 002 [1600x1200].jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 175
i bought mine from Mr Porter and got 2.2 . Its not a competition , just an indication that you are on the right track.

i keep mine in a 4 foot aquarium,with ply stacks,like u see alot of ridgey keepers set them up,have a small log going up to stack to,pretty sparton set up and different again,if they have the right conditions they will breed,its not rocket science,u dont even need to cool them

Latest posts

Back