Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She's a Perth locale Black Headed Monitor (Varanus tristis tristis). The adults are almost pure black over here. I believe they evolved their dark colouring in order to more efficiently absorb the heat from the sun's rays. She's a beauty and settling in well, showing a bit more of herself everyday.
She's stunning, Oshkii! Nothing like the blackheaded monitors I've seen. How old is she? We have a juvenile tristis orientalis that is tiny.

Her age is unknown. If I remember correctly, she was legally wild-caught as a young adult and has been in captivity for 4 years according to the previous owner. I would guess she's somewhere between 5-7 years old? She's definitely a decent size, maybe about 25-30cm snout to vent length, although I don't know her exact length and weight as I haven't had a chance to properly measure her yet.

Last edited:
She's a Perth locale Black Headed Monitor (Varanus tristis tristis). The adults are almost pure black over here. I believe they evolved their dark colouring in order to more efficiently absorb the heat from the sun's rays. She's a beauty and settling in well, showing a bit more of herself everyday.
Ahh makes sense! One of the most stunning Black heads I habe seen (though I've only seen a dozen or so in person and maybe 30 pics).

- - - Updated - - -

Makes semse! She is girgeous!

Here's another photo. She's definitely over 80cm total length. Please excuse the cruddy set up, it's very basic at the moment and doesn't look very appealing. I'm hoping that I can get a bigger and better enclosure soon.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Tish.jpg
    Tish.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:
Very nice Oshkii! When I eventually get some lizards, I'll definitely get some monitors. Maybe a mertens or an ackie. I love CrocDoc's threads with pics if his lacies, those were stunning!

Anyway, great animals everyone, keep 'em' comin'!

Herpo, I've only had monitors for a very short time and, in my opinion, they're a whole new lizard compared to skinks, dragons and geckos. But I'm loving the experience so far!

Herpo, I've only had monitors for a very short time and, in my opinion, they're a whole new lizard compared to skinks, dragons and geckos. But I'm loving the experience so far!

I think you summed it up perfectly, Oshkii. Monitors and their care are very different to other lizards, something missed by a lot of keepers who are bedazzled by the thought of owning a large monitor. These are the ones who lose fingers.

Oh, I wouldn't get them as a beginner lizard. I think I'd treat them (the larger ones at least) like I would an elapid. They are fast and unpredictable. Definitely wouldn't want to get tagged!

Not quite as pretty as [MENTION=41840]Oshkii[/MENTION]'s beautiful example but my newest addition "Seth" appears to be made of ribbon and quite bendy:
23879ca3f6db9627d60456ebbff80c67.jpg

e5ee2224d7c1104d6df88370a7c8dfb2.jpg

And when I got home I caught him pretending he was a gecko...
af52d14adf1f3011b5bbe31fdf3f8b2d.jpg

Those talons sure do work.

Collecting my indicus late next week once his home's been sufficiently waterproofed and aired out for a couple of days. Will post something of that too...

Many thanks to [MENTION=41199]Aussie_monitors[/MENTION] also for helping expedite things.

Last edited:
[MENTION=41840]Oshkii[/MENTION] he's four years old, locale unknown as I fished him out of a display case at an aquarium, they didn't know either, which is a shame.
[MENTION=41642]Herpo[/MENTION] just do it :)

Edit: Just got off the phone with one of the managers at the shop, he suspected Alice Springs but is going to contact who he obtained it from and confirm.

Last edited:
Herpo, instead of a mate for Popeye, maybe a small monitor is the way to go for your next reptile. An ackie or a Gillens is an ideal first monitor, IMO.

George is so damn adorable. He's curious, crazy, slightly daft, he still has that typical monitor attitude but seems to be achieving a good balance between prickly and amicable (and almost friendly) as he grows.

45448d355f18d6cf395b54b229b152a4.jpg

Here he is investigating what I'm up to. Almost looks like the typical quizzical raised eyebrow... "Exactly what are you doing, hooman?"

Sent you a PM Herpo. As I said monitors are bassically snakes with legs so you should be ok with an ackie or simillar species as a first lizard! [MENTION=32194]Smittiferous[/MENTION] stop making me jealous!!!!!!

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

This use to be one of my Desert Sand Monitor's - Varanus Gouldii Flavirufus, that was born in August 2006 and kept him indoor, but he had the freedom to roam freely allday around my home.

Attachments

• Picture 051.jpg
    Picture 051.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 282
  • Picture 070.jpg
    Picture 070.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 278
  • Picture 047.jpg
    Picture 047.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 277
  • Picture 121.jpg
    Picture 121.jpg