Monitor Populations in Captivity

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilbarensis

Reaction score
Hey, I'm just wondering how many people out there are keeping various monitor species and how many individuals people think there in captivity at the moment of the following species:
V. baritji (From what I have heard there are a "lot" of them in NSW & NT?)
V. brevicauda (Again, I've heard there are a few in WA, NSW & QLD)
V. bushi (Any information?)
V. caudolineatus (I've heard there may be a few in WA?)
V. eremius (Anything with these guys?)
V. glebopalma (Again, a few NT and QLD I've heard)
V. kingorum (Anything?)
V. mitchelli (A few in QLD & NSW)
V. primordius (Very small numbers in NSW. Anything in other states?)
V. rosenbergi (I've heard there are quite a few in SA and a few in some other states?)
V. semiremex (anything, I head that Danny Brown had one a few years back)
V. pilbarensis (Anything?)

If anyone has any more information I'd appreciate it.

Cheers, Scotty

Last edited:
I dont have any info on any of them but i do want a V. rosenbergi so that would bring its population up by one in NSW when i get one lol ( not for a long time tho)

Haha, yeah I think there are more in captivity then people realise. In NSW there are probably just around 10, SA probably just over 20 if we are lucky and maybe a few in QLD.

Honestly i thought there were more then that amount in captivity, guess i was wrong. Do u keep any of those species listed?

Really? I thought that they were rather uncommon (not as uncommon as say mitchelli) but still more or less they had low population levels. Also me? No I have a few other species, looking forward to the licence update though - really would love to get some Baritji, Brevi and Scalaris and hopefully I'd get a rosenbergi or two at some point. Do you have any of those species?

Haha, yeah I think there are more in captivity then people realise. In NSW there are probably just around 10, SA probably just over 20 if we are lucky and maybe a few in QLD.

How did you arrive at those figures?

Just by looking over the forums, what's been for sale and talking to some friends. Not the most "accurate" system I know, but better then nothing. Do you know what they're population is?

ScottyHerps- ive only recently started researching monitor lizards and when i first looked into rosenbergs i thought they were very pretty imo, there husbandry needs weren't too difficult, much like a sandy, so i just thought maybe there were plenty around, im not really sure how rare they are tho...and me, i havn't got a single monitor yet lol im working on it. I did a quick search on V. glebopalma, i really like them aswell and they grow to a reasonable size, might add them to the wishlist too if they can be kept in NSW lol

It would be interesting to see how V. glauerti is traveling in captivity also.

Yeah the glebos are stunning but you'd have to be pretty lucky to find even one... Definitely on the wishlist though. Same with Perenties and Rosenbergs.

- - - Updated - - -

corky - from what I've heard there a few breeding pairs in SA and QLD, although the waiting lists are long from what I've heard... Definitely a few in NSW and NT as well.

Very true, does anyone know why they are so uncommon? is it because they are rare in the wild or just not many collected?
Also how common are V. indicus, they are very beautiful but i heard they too were'nt very common?

Main reason is that not that many are in captivity and there most people don't keep these species because they are rare/expensive/too big/hard to keep or all of those. V. indicus, are.... random really but I guess they could be classified as uncommon. You just have to know who has them and who's breeding them.

I think you will find there are far more then what you have predicted particularly with the rarer species which many keepers who have them do not even use the internet.

I'm sure there was an old thread on here somewhere that had a list of monitors and their approximate numbers in captivity.
Would be long out dated but some indication of where the numbers were at, at that point in time.
Nice to have an updated list though...

Are the emerald tree monitors ( Varanus prasinus) allowed to be kept here Australia?
It would be interesting to see an updated list as im quite curious to see how many of the more uncommon species are actually being kept.

Scotty you must have missed one older thread with some pics of V.eremius in captivity in SA. I don't know how many, go back find the thread and ask the poster.

Think we could add V.pilbarensis to your little enquiry?

W.T.BUY - Thanks, I thought something like that might be the reason behind the lack of information on these species. Thanks for clearing that up.

Corky - Yeah I saw that thread, it was very old if I remember correctly.

Albino93 - Yeah no prasinus, probably won't be any for a very long time in my opinion - well at least not legally.

GeckPhotographer - Yeah I saw the thread, those eremius were bloody brilliant actually. Also yeah I'll add the pilbs along with semiremex.

Last edited:
Last year Pilbara pythons said they knew of someone working with V.pilbarensis. would be nice to know of any productivity.

Definitely, especially since they're such a stunning animals that survives pretty well in captivity.

There are more rosenbergi in captivity in Australia than you realise, but I think the main reason they aren't very popular has little to do with rarity or difficulty in keeping them. Most of them are just really ordinary looking. People will see a photograph of a particularly colourful individual (there was a keeper on one of these forums that had a very pretty one), or of a baby, and then assume that's what the species looks like, but the majority are pretty bog ordinary looking so most people would rather use that space to house another species.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back