Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dan_lizard

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone's opinion is.....

What do you think the easiest monitor to keep is?

I don?t know if you guys can get Asian water monitors but I think they are adorable. Very active, smart (as far as smart is for lizards) curious to everything around them and so darn cute. My ?Bambi? is around 4 years old now and never an aggressive action. Loves to climb but as always a terrible mess to clean up after. Her cage has a pond inside that has to be cleaned and disinfected every day since she poops in it daily. Sometimes twice a day. A lot of work but if your dedicated a great monitor.
Thanks
Maria

Most moniters are easy to keep as long as you the the basic requirements like a very hot hot spot, good hiding places and branches.

A sony 19" monitor works well for me. :lol:

I'd have to say the dwarf species of monitors are easier to keep then the bigger species. Acantharus,Gillens,Tristis etc all make excellent beginners monitors.Ackies are a great lil goanna,they are docile and placid as well as easy to breed and have multi clutches per season.IMO I'd choose a high yellow,just a personal choice here! :wink:

Ackies r the best monitor I reackon there sinch to care for too.

How many species of monitors are there that are not huge? By this I mean how many stay around the 30 to 45 cm mark? Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Spiny tailed monitor
Ridge tail monitor
pygmy mulga monitor
short tail pygmy monitor
Black headed monitor
Storrs monitor

I'm really not sure.
I have only just started getting into my lizard species and reading about them lately,but I assume they are similar in overall requirement needs.

:p Ummmmmmmm yeah what cc said,unfortunately maria in australia we are not allowed any foreign reptiles unless you are a zoo.We do although have some great aussie monitors,the best imho is the mangrove monitor. :p

in my opinion ackies are the easiest monitor to keep.....as long as u hav suitable food, water, shelter and heat. Monitors generally hav different needs as all reptiles do. eg- ackies need rock crevices and high temps but a canopy goanna needs an aborial tank with hollow logs and high humidity.

Personally i think all small moniters can be kept in exactly the time conditions.
Most small moniters live in rocks e.g ackies, storri, baritji, give and good hot spot and they care for themselves.

The only difference for big moniters is to up size everything and add some sturdy branches for climbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back