Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gunny

Banned
Reaction score
Im thinking of aquiring a monitor but i dont want one that gets to big and i dont want one too small a maximum lenght of 1 - 1.2 meters would be good. Can anyone tell me what would be suitable and if anyone knows where to get some. Thanks

I'm inferring that this would be your first monitor. Is that correct?

Personally I'd suggest one of the smaller varanids if it's your first (scalaris, acanthurus, whatever). If you insist on getting one of the larger varanids, I'd probably suggest spenceri though.

or mertons water monitors,but even things like thee and spencers,sandys ect,as adults can be a handful,they arent for the faint of heart,id suggest more your ridgeys,tristis ect as a first monitor,but if you wanted something bigger, id lean towards mertons,then spencers,spencers might not have the length of the larger monitors,but they are short tailed and built like a brick sh@t house as adults,so could prove a handful,and you dont want one of the larger ones biting you,some say it doesnt happen,but during a feeding frennzy they can go nuts

Mertons, mangrove or spencers would be a good choice. As mentioned Spencers Monitors can get big and they are very strong. A Spencers Monitor a bit over 4' is about the same size as a 6' Yellow Spotted Monitor or Lace Monitor.

Thanks i think i might have a look at the mangrove monitors the ackies are too small at 500ml is that correct for adult size? The spencers sound like theyre a bit heavy.

I have male hatchy spencers that is spare, im not advertising on this site though ;)

To be quite serious I would never let a 4yo any where near a monitor.

Do a bit of research on monitors especially their feeding responses and you will understand what I am saying.

To be quite serious I would never let a 4yo any where near a monitor.

Do a bit of research on monitors especially their feeding responses and you will understand what I am saying.

A couple of ackies would be good when the kid's a couple of years older, you can just sit and watch them for hours. And if you can keep up with their speed and catch them they aren't all the aggressive and their bites are soft,

A couple of ackies would be good when the kid's a couple of years older, you can just sit and watch them for hours. And if you can keep up with their speed and catch them they aren't all the aggressive and their bites are soft,

He doesn't want ackies he wants a monitor thats 1.2 m long.

I have had plenty of experience with most reptiles i worked in a crocodile farm/zoo for 2 years. There are just alot of monitors i dont know much about thought someone might guide me to a more suitable species i've had my sights on a mangrove monitor for a while now.

I have had plenty of experience with most reptiles i worked in a crocodile farm/zoo for 2 years. There are just alot of monitors i dont know much about thought someone might guide me to a more suitable species i've had my sights on a mangrove monitor for a while now.

Mangrove monitors ( v.indicus) grow to 1.5m. I don't have any experience with these monitors but from what I have heard they are not the easiest monitor to keep.

I would agree with Nalege that ackies would be a good monitor to start with.

What did you start with bruce?[/QUOT

Ackies then laceys but I don't have any small children around to worry about so if anything was to go a bit ferral I only have myself to worry about....or blame lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back