monitors ?!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

calebs92

Reaction score
springfield lakes ,ipswich ,qld ,australia
I caught this yesterday and wasn't sure what type it is ?

But after i caught i fell in love with it and now want to buy one, I have an aviary around 3 m long 1.5 m wide 2 m high and doesn't have anything in it and i thought that would be perfect for a large lizard.
My question is what monitor would be best for this size enclosure and get to full size and who sells them in the brisbane area ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-26 at 1.13.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-12-26 at 1.13.58 PM.png
    246.3 KB · Views: 339
It would be a Goulds/Sand monitor, they are fairly common.
For your size aivary a lace monitor would be comfortable, they do grow big however. Spencers or even tristis tristis would be fine, comes down to your choice.

It would be a Goulds/Sand monitor, they are fairly common.
For your size aivary a lace monitor would be comfortable, they do grow big however. Spencers or even tristis tristis would be fine, comes down to your choice.

Agreed, if you have never owned a monitor before I would probably look at the smaller ones before jumping into the deep end (Lacie), I would also recommend either Spencers or Black headed Monitor's (tristis tristis).

Your welcome and nice find by the way.
It is a bit harder finding monitor breeders. There is a few people on here who advertise when they have monitors for sale in the for sale section. Not sure of any breeders though, sorry about that.

Contact 'Gold coast monitors' on facebook, i will link you in pm. You can have a chat to him and see what hes got cooking.

It is a gouldii gouldii I think but then again I am a bit hic, inebriated, hic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok thanks. I'm going with V. panoptes, it looks too solid for a V. gouldii and its colours look more like panoptes also..

Yellow's would have more yellow defined on the legs and would be chunkier at that age even underfed.

Not necessarily, it may be coming up for shed or it may just be a 'duller' individual. Also V. gouldii normally don't have such distinct markings on that part of the neck/throat, whereas V. panoptes do. I'm happy to be proved wrong, these are just my observations from keeping and breeding both species, as well as photographing both from an area just out of brissy.

Last edited:
Yellows have more distinctive larger spots, this has more of a freckled pattern and a whiter colour which i why im leading to Gouldi but you can never be certain.
I often mistake storrs for ackies and vise versa.

Not necessarily, it may be coming up for shed or it may just be a 'duller' individual. Also V. gouldii normally don't have such distinct markings on that part of the neck/throat, whereas V. panoptes do. I'm happy to be proved wrong, these are just my observations from keeping and breeding both species, as well as photographing both from an area just out of brissy.

Well with the body wise it is necessarily correct but with the legs I am sure there would be variations. Gouldii gouldii are not known to have neck markings too much but when they do it is exactly like this shown, the grey dashes as to speak but again the more I look at it the more I am not too sure I iwsh we had ventral and tail shots haha would help greatly.

I completely agree, with that pic we can only go off what we know/think. We need one of the ID experts like Scott or Bluetongue to help us out.

I completely agree, with that pic we can only go off what we know/think. We need one of the ID experts like Scott or Bluetongue to help us out.
Oath haha, I am about to google his location anywho to see what lives there. If it's both I will rage.

Both located there, I am using the new monitor book with descriptions and still cannot differentiate haha

Gouldii have creamy throats.
Arguses have Yellow throats.

Also they have different patterning on their necks.

Gouldii have creamy throats.
Arguses have Yellow throats.

Also they have different patterning on their necks.

I have seen both specimens in the flesh with just light pale throats no difference. Also Gouldii I know for certain do have dashes sometimes where as panoptes tend to have spots but have seen a few photos of panoptes having the dashes as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back