Monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i got 3 hatchies from Southern X last season. I looooove them so interesting.

I got my copy of this new Monitor book in the mail today. At this stage I have just thumbed through it. I have purchased all of the monitor books I have been able to get my hands on in recent times - except Bennett which went out of print while I ummed and arred. At this stage, from a keeping perspective, this looks like it will be one of the more useful ones. It has some great photos in it and the print quality is brilliant.

Ackie add 729-503 on the Herp Trader is mine if anybody in Melbourne wants a handling ackie with great personality.

Here is the spiel from the Herp Shop web site http://herpshop.com.au

[SIZE=+2]*** New Book ***[/SIZE]
Monitor Lizards Natural History, Captive Care and Breeding
by Bernd Eidenmuller
[SIZE=+2]*** New Book ***[/SIZE]
176 pages, hard back, 2007 - limited number of [SIZE=+1]signed copies[/SIZE] available Well known varanid authority, Bernd Eidenmuller spent seven years compiling this interesting work. He goes into detail on all the world's species with natural history and captive care information. Contains many colour photgraphs and distribution maps. An essential publication for monitor enthusiasts. $65.00 per copy

I meant to add on the book front that the monitor books generally cover the Varanus species from around the world so about half the species descriptions are not as much interest to me.

BUMP

Anyone know anyone that breeds or has any Varanus Acanthurus?
Please PM me.

Thanks Brett...

Hi Brett
Ackies are heaps common & like Richard said christmas time will be heaps around.
We have 48 eggs of SandFire Ackies in the incubator.
First clutch to hatch 12 /12 /07.
We should breed around 180 WA Ackies this year.:shock:
There is some differant locality to consider when buying Ackies.
The common forms are, Alice springs, mt Isa QLD & WA Sandfire desert.
Here is a pic of a WA SandFire Ackie.

Attachments

• WA SandFire Ackie Female.JPG
    WA SandFire Ackie Female.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 103
WOW, thats a fair few ackies :D

Thanks for the information, How much do you sell your sandfires for?
Do you breed any other localities?
Thanks Brett.

oops the old double post,not sure exactly how many he ate,he did it last season as well to both clutches,id say at least 7 eggs though,there were deflated eggs in his turds a couple of days later,i got 3 eggs but one went bad,found it outside the nest box 2 days after i got the other 2 eggs,the male will be seperated for now on when laying is imminant

Your WA Sandfire Ackies are stunning Jason, good luck in hatching all your eggs in the incubator.

Thats pritty unfortunate richard, seperating the male definately sounds like a plan lol.

The ackie which i think is a female digs almost every day now and is looking pretty fat although she has all ways been on the tuby side. Their only 1 year old but i have heard they are big enough to lay and they have been mating alot. So ive got my fingers crossed that she lays and i get the eggs b4 the male does. lol. I have a few pics but i have posted them all before. Unfortunatly the lights hide alot of there red colour which i think is quite stunning.

Attachments

• 2007-06-09 035sml.jpg
    2007-06-09 035sml.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 2007-06-09 034sml.jpg
    2007-06-09 034sml.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 2007-06-09 048sml.jpg
    2007-06-09 048sml.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 48
WOW, thats a fair few ackies :D

Thanks for the information, How much do you sell your sandfires for?
Do you breed any other localities?
Thanks Brett.

We only keep WA Ackies now.
I have other monitor projects that precede over other more common forms of monitors.(Varanus glauerti)

They sell for $195 each in the shop.
We will have another special advertised in the Reptiles Aust mag for $180 each after christmas.

Jason

The ackie which i think is a female digs almost every day now and is looking pretty fat although she has all ways been on the tuby side. Their only 1 year old but i have heard they are big enough to lay and they have been mating alot. So ive got my fingers crossed that she lays and i get the eggs b4 the male does. lol. I have a few pics but i have posted them all before. Unfortunatly the lights hide alot of there red colour which i think is quite stunning.

Hey Mate,

Can i just ask what are you using for the levels in your stack?? Are they upside down tiles. If so what size tiles are they?? Do they use other levels of the stack apart from the top??

Cheers,
Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back