Monster or moggie? Claws out in catfight

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Auzlizardking

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
We have two cats that are keep in side - but when you read this you start to feel sick at what this could lead too.
The savannah, a cross between a wild African serval and a domestic cat, could be in Australia as early as September.
Also this is about wild dogs that they have now introduced in to Aust.:evil:

http://www.smh.com.au/text/articles/2008/06/14/1213321683010.html

Attachments

• savannahcat_wideweb__470x302,1.jpg
    savannahcat_wideweb__470x302,1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 193
my missus cat looks just like this and it's your normal house cat, we were amazed by it.

I'm against the idea though, kinda stupid the things people will do to be cool or different or whatever. If you want to be different get into reptiles :D

Big moggies are already here,especially seeing videos of some of the one in Vic.But knowingly bringing something into the environment that has so much potential has got to be worrying.

Proof is there and history shows we do not need this monster at all in this country and we need to do everything we can to keep it out.

I don't care what people say in favour of it, it is a potential environmental terrorist even more efficient and effective at wiping out our native fauna than the feral cats we now to put up with as a result of irresponsible 'cat lovers'.

My Girlfriends parents had a Begnal which is a cross between Asian Leopard cat and something else and was very similar to the savannah. He was MASSIVE and I hate cats but he was an exception to the rule. They are so intelligent and he was always kept in a large outdoor enclosure as they are too big to be in the house and unlike most cats are rather un-elegant. They ended up giving him away 4 months back after about a year as he wasn't getting the attention needed. In saying all this if they are given to careless owners it could create massive problems.

you can bring cats in from overseas, why not reptiles, i think they should bring in the same laws as what the reptiles have , no exotics, thats what it is isnt,

Along with wolf-dog breeds, are slipping into Australia through a loophole in our biosecurity system.

Why not just open the doors and let everything in - this just can't be good for environment in the long or short term.

you can bring cats in from overseas, why not reptiles, i think they should bring in the same laws as what the reptiles have , no exotics, thats what it is isnt,

that could interfere with the eradication of feral pigs. no exotics would mean no new American bulldogs.

Well I can certainly understand why they wouldn't let us bring in a multi generation captive bred Leopard Tortoise from the UK, just imagine the devastation it would cause compared to that harmless little puddy cat.

if im not mistaken Savannah cats have been in Australia since the 1980's and in no way agree with this, ive sent email after email to numerous people about this but apparently these cats are only sold de-sexed and considering the amount they want for these cats i dont think they will every become feral in Australia but may be wrong i was told they sell for 4k ea

Savannahs are NOT in Australia: YET

Bengal cats - a domestic mixed with an Asian Leopard Cat are already in Australia. Savannah cats, a mix with the African Serval are not yet here. The fact that we stuffed up once is no reason to do it again.

There is also a big difference - Asian Leopard Cats are about the same size as a domestic and from jungle environs. Servals are more like 20kg - four or five times the size of a domestic and from African savannahs. These cats are bigger and stronger and potentially more dangerous to the environment.

I've done a lot of media in the past few days on this issue and appreciate support from Aussie python people - we may get a change in the regulations (they never took into account that people would breed these animals). It is worthwhile keeping up the focus. Thanks.

My blog is www.feral.typepad.com where I've commented more - also just posted a You Tube clip of an F5 - the cats that will enter Australia.

yeh i saw those cats about 3-4months ago at a pet shop in robina on the goldcoast and they wanted like $5000 or wateva for it.

Yay for the hybrids,
If it happens in America, it has to be the best thing ever doesnt it?

I think you will find that they are in Australia:

Have a look this web site which they can be ordered through: http://savannahcats.com.au/

If you want to do something about it you may wish to consider contacting the Federal Minister for the Environment - Peter Garret (Note there is "email button so making your voice heard is just one click away:

http://www.labor.com.au/people/nsw/garrett_peter.php

Minister for Environment, Heritage and The Arts

garrettp.jpg

Parliament House

Suite MG 40
Parliament House
Canberra ACT 2600
Tel:(02) 6277 7640
Fax:(02) 6273 6101
Email:Email Peter

Electorate Office

806 – 812 Anzac Pde
MAROUBRA NSW
Tel:(02) 9349 6007
Fax:(02) 9349 8089

Postal Address:

PO BOX 249
MAROUBRA NSW 2035
Web:http://www.petergarrett.com.au/
Bengal cats - a domestic mixed with an Asian Leopard Cat are already in Australia. Savannah cats, a mix with the African Serval are not yet here. The fact that we stuffed up once is no reason to do it again.

There is also a big difference - Asian Leopard Cats are about the same size as a domestic and from jungle environs. Servals are more like 20kg - four or five times the size of a domestic and from African savannahs. These cats are bigger and stronger and potentially more dangerous to the environment.

I've done a lot of media in the past few days on this issue and appreciate support from Aussie python people - we may get a change in the regulations (they never took into account that people would breed these animals). It is worthwhile keeping up the focus. Thanks.

My blog is www.feral.typepad.com where I've commented more - also just posted a You Tube clip of an F5 - the cats that will enter Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back