Monster or moggie? Claws out in catfight

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AND if you read the price tag attached and the requirements they ask for, for the sale to happen, you would be silly to spend that sort of money on a cat to allow to go wild. These sort of cats are bred for there tempermate and look - for showing!! NOT for release in to the wild.

I see your point, it may take a while before they become common enought that it becomes likely for them to be able to escape and potentially "improve" they feral cat gene pool. Allowing them in is just creating a problem for the future. It may not be for another 20-30 years, but no one can say it will never be a potentially disaterous problem for our wildlife.

Go use goggle and read they front page it will tell you a lot about the people they are and the animals they breed - you should not bag feral cats but there feral owners, they have to start some where and it is usually the owners.

The cats are the problem, its quite simple. Go out in the bush you will find cats and none of them have owners, if one fertile savanah gets out it could have massive implications for our wildlife. It wouldnt be far off being one of the worst animals to introduce here. Also most ppl dont bag feral cats, they normally just shoot them and perhaps even cook them up :lol:

if even one of these cats becomes feral and breeds with say 10 other feral cats it could be absolutely devastating to the local wildlife its not just bigger size it will be introducing but better hunting skills and instincts. so really anybody even considering importing these animals obviously doesnt care about the native animals of this country and only wants to import one of these cats because they think they are cool or just wants to breed them and sell them at ridiculous prices:rolleyes:

"Hybrids of wild animals and domestic animals are a stupid American trend to breed more and more exotic pets," said Professor Peacock, who works at the University of Canberra.
"This loophole will effectively lead to fitting a nuclear warhead to our already devastating feral cat population. Haven't our native animals got enough to contend with?"

Says it all right here. and I quote " A STUPID AMERICAN TREND".

I don't think these cats are gonna be a problem. They are not going to be commonly seen cats as not many people will breed them and they are too expensive. I hardly ever see any Bengals and they have been in Australia for years.
Also these are not the only large breed cats, there are Maine Coons which can reach over 12kg and Siberian Cats which get even bigger and no one is making a big deal about them. Maine Coons are becoming popular as well. Many more cat owners are becoming responsible and keeping cats indoors as well. I think people are over reacting if they think there is going to be a "new" breed of feral cats in Australia.
We also tend to forget that the main cause of species becoming extinct is humans due to loss of habitat. Feral animals have an influence but foxes do as much damage as cats, and cane toads kill lots of reptiles, and the government is not spending enough to control these.

I wish they would make the same laws for cats as they do for dogs.
I get very peeved with Cats wandering around pooping in other people yards, fighting and most of all killing native wildlife.
I have several ringtail possums that were kept as they were unreleasable, one of them became very sick last week and diagnosed with toxoplasmosis wich could have been fatal if i had not gotten veterinary help, the vet said the most likely cause was from the mulch I have on the floor of the aviary that was probably infected before I got the mulch.
Toxoplasmosi is caused my cat poo.

I don't think these cats are gonna be a problem. They are not going to be commonly seen cats as not many people will breed them and they are too expensive. I hardly ever see any Bengals and they have been in Australia for years.
Also these are not the only large breed cats, there are Maine Coons which can reach over 12kg and Siberian Cats which get even bigger and no one is making a big deal about them. Maine Coons are becoming popular as well. Many more cat owners are becoming responsible and keeping cats indoors as well. I think people are over reacting if they think there is going to be a "new" breed of feral cats in Australia.
We also tend to forget that the main cause of species becoming extinct is humans due to loss of habitat. Feral animals have an influence but foxes do as much damage as cats, and cane toads kill lots of reptiles, and the government is not spending enough to control these.

Even with your logic, which I consider to be totally naive, it only takes one Tom out on the prowl for one evening to get the genes into the feral population.

Why take the risk?

We live in the middle of the suburbs and regularly set cat traps. About half the animals we hand over to the authorities are completely feral. The assumption is that this suburban feral population comes in part from unwanted kittens being dumped in a local park (Jells Park for those that know the area.)

We should start a petition to stop the importation of this very real threat to Australias wildlife and send it off to the relivant Authoritys.

Congo

I know that there are lots of feral cats out there and that they are a major problem. I just think people are over reacting to think that F6 Savannah cats which will be sold desexed to the public will result in a new breed of feral cats that will cause devestation to our wildlife.

If they are $5000 and kept in enclosures they will be a target for theft . Once stolen l'm sure the nebourhood junkie will be very responsible with it .

Maybe it's the "cat breeders" that is the problem....(not the general public), always trying to develop new/different coat patterns, etc. and not afraid to use moggies to cross breed with their so called show cats to get the highly prized coat patterns.

I've had a fair bit to do with cat breeders and perhaps I am a little more informed than others

Bottom line is...we don't want more cats, bigger cats, with highly developed hunting skills

Well the environmental dept already see them as a potential risk waiting so surely they have more facts and research than any of us. I agree with herp trader. It only takes 1 tom to produce a litter of up to 8 or so kittens to continue on the tradition. Have you seen the size of feral cats that live in the bush? They are already much bigger than the cat you see running across the road. But lets just let one savanah loose to upsize them one more......NOT.

You are right, foxes do as much damage as cats. And cane toads are now known to be killing our brown snakes. Why add to the problem? They have banned import of other animals, I think cats should be too. We have enough in the country now to keep good quality bloodlines going without needing to import anymore.

And don't think the price tag will discourage people mistreating these cats. I have sold many exotic birds in my pet shop and have feedback that the birds have escaped, killed by their pet dog or cat, or they have brought them back - sick of the noise. Some people have more money than sense.

Last edited:
Anyone in Darwin?

Is there anyone in Darwin, or nearby, that wants to comment in an ABC television story on the Savannah cat issue? Private me your mobile and I'll pass it on to the reporter.

Is there anyone in Darwin, or nearby, that wants to comment in an ABC television story on the Savannah cat issue? Private me your mobile and I'll pass it on to the reporter.

;) or anyone in Darwin want to watch the news tonight?

My husband Daavid as well as Rick Shine will be on. They have finished interviewing my husband over the phone, the camermen have left his office...but we do not live in Darwin to watch....:cry:

Could someone please let us know how it goes?

Thanx from a proud wife! :D

Media

I'm doing ABC 666 in Canberra at 10.45am tomorrow (you can stream it) and Radio National Bush Telegraph at 11.05am on this issue.

Penny Wong said in Parliament last night "I'm advised that the Minister for the Envrionemtn has iniated a process for possible amendment of the live import list to prohibit savannah cats".

That would be a great outcome and the AussiePython people should take some credit. The petition you initiated is being signed at about 1 a minute all day.

The science is really against these animals - even with only a small amount of Serval in them, they represent a new threat that needs assessment. We had carp for a century before the Boolara strain took off.

The science is really against these animals - even with only a small amount of Serval in them, they represent a new threat that needs assessment. We had carp for a century before the Boolara strain took off.

It is clear from the the Savannah cat companies Australian web site that they selecting for more of the Serval than less:

The F5 Savannahs that are being imported into Australia will in fact resemble that of an F3 Savannah, that means they will look closer to the Serval than an F5 has ever looked before.

(http://savannahcats.com.au//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6&Itemid=29)

I did not bother to read every silly little reply on this thread, unless you understand cats in general, and from a breeders point of view , you will not under stand where he is coming from FIFTH GEN, cats that have been bred in captivity for more then five litters minium and after this time, allowing one litter a year - this ensures good blood lines. AND if you read the price tag attached and the requirements they ask for, for the sale to happen, you would be silly to spend that sort of money on a cat to allow to go wild. These sort of cats are bred for there tempermate and look - for showing!! NOT for release in to the wild.

These people have not said any thing about wild dogs it was the critics that did.

Go use goggle and read they front page it will tell you a lot about the people they are and the animals they breed - you should not bag feral cats but there feral owners, they have to start some where and it is usually the owners.

DON'T get me wrong, if it is feral and destrying our wild life - i think it needs to be put down humanely - i will even help you do it - but don't bag out a breed of cats that you do not enough about.

love you all - look forward to your stupid replys

Stupid replies?! At least most of the replies have been significantly more articulate than your confused, misspelt rant! :?

Anyway, everyone who disagrees with the importation of this animal, stop whining on here, flip back a couple of pages, click on the link and write to Peter Garrett! Make a real difference instead of just complaining! Come on! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back