Monster or moggie? Claws out in catfight

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the petition link, just signed it. I hope Peter Garrett heeds it's message!

I found a few earlier links that I missed

June 15 - The Age
Catfight over designer moggies

http://www.theage.com.au/news/pets/...out-in-catfight/2008/06/14/1213321683010.html

savannahcat_wideweb__470x302,2.jpg

This quote I found particularly disturbing:

More than 30 savannahs - which cost $5000 for a pet and $10,000 for a breeding animal - are expected to come to Australia in the next five years, with up to 16 now in US quarantine.
Obviously with over a quarter of a million dollars up for grabs importing these things is big buisiness.

and this one also:
Critics say the savannahs, and an array of other fashionable hybrid cats, along with wolf-dog breeds, are slipping into Australia through a loophole in our biosecurity system.
On the same date there was this thread:

June 15 - The Age
What do you get when you mix an African serval with a tabby?

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=85324

PM_serval-200x0.jpg

LOCK up your koalas! Genetically watered-down versions of the wolf, leopard and African wild cats are now free to enter Australia and gobble our wildlife - thanks to a legal loophole in the Federal Government's bio-security system.

;) or anyone in Darwin want to watch the news tonight?

My husband Daavid as well as Rick Shine will be on. They have finished interviewing my husband over the phone, the camermen have left his office...but we do not live in Darwin to watch....:cry:

Could someone please let us know how it goes?

Thanx from a proud wife! :D

So did anybody catch it? I made it clear to the reporter that she should be getting most of the footage from Rick Shine and to use me if only absolutely necessary. I checked the ABC web site searching for stories and they obviously ran it. Rick got the only quotes in the version on the web which was appropriate though I would have been happy to have seen some of my dialogue quoted.

So did anybody catch it? I made it clear to the reporter that she should be getting most of the footage from Rick Shine and to use me if only absolutely necessary. I checked the ABC web site searching for stories and they obviously ran it. Rick got the only quotes in the version on the web which was appropriate though I would have been happy to have seen some of my dialogue quoted.
Thanks to people like you and Rick Shine we might see a amendment of the live import list to prohibit savannah cats"..
Keep up the great work guys.

Thanks for the link MidnightServal.

i especially love this:
Being responsible breeders, Savannah Cats Australia de-sex and microchip all kittens prior to them going to their new homes. On top of this all new potential owners are subjected to a vigorous qualification process to be an owner of a Savannah Cat. To own and care for any animal is a privilege, it is not a right. Further to this, potential owners must then sign a legally binding contract which contains strict conditions.

Bengal cats - a domestic mixed with an Asian Leopard Cat are already in Australia. Savannah cats, a mix with the African Serval are not yet here. The fact that we stuffed up once is no reason to do it again.

Bengals are no different to your average house cat, same size, same temperament, same hunting ability..

If a system was put in place with licensing a neccesity to keep these animals, like reptiles, id see no problem with it.

Plus in conjuction with a law of having to keep the animals locked inside at all times, or with access to an outside pen only, they wouldnt be a problem.

I dont see what is so hard about creating and enforcing this law, the government should do something about it. It would stop 99% of the problems why people complain about cats..

Thanks for the link MidnightServal.

i especially love this:

What is so funny about that.. thats exactly the kind of laws that need to be in place to stop people like you whinging. This would eliminate the risk of them breeding with stray cats, plus a responsible owner would not let the animal free roam anyway..

There is such thing as responsible cat owner people, me being one of them. Just because you dont like cats, noone can huh? :rolleyes:

What is so funny about that.. thats exactly the kind of laws that need to be in place to stop people like you whinging. This would eliminate the risk of them breeding with stray cats, plus a responsible owner would not let the animal free roam anyway..

There is such thing as responsible cat owner people, me being one of them. Just because you dont like cats, noone can huh? :rolleyes:

Waah waah waaah.:rolleyes:

There is nothing funny about it. Did anything in what I said have any indication that I found it humorous? No.

If you bothered to think about what I was saying I am actually for cats and was saying that I love that quote... meaning that I think that it should be like that for every cat breeder/owner.

So are they just a Leopard x Domestic cat or/and are they x with a Lion and Cheetah? Thats gonna do alot to our enviroment, there goes half the Koala population if they get out. There's going to be alot of lead sold in the next 10 years.

So are they just a Leopard x Domestic cat or/and are they x with a Lion and Cheetah? Thats gonna do alot to our enviroment, there goes half the Koala population if they get out. There's going to be alot of lead sold in the next 10 years.

Hehe, nice one trouser.......like my Dad use to say " a good cat is a dead cat ! "

Waah waah waaah.:rolleyes:

There is nothing funny about it. Did anything in what I said have any indication that I found it humorous? No.

If you bothered to think about what I was saying I am actually for cats and was saying that I love that quote... meaning that I think that it should be like that for every cat breeder/owner.

Nevermind, thought you were being sarcastic.

Under strict conditions i really hope that they are allowed into australia, but they should all require to be caged or housed at all times, which is what i would do if i get one. I would need some serious donations off alot of peope to get up 5-10 grand hahaha. They should be licenced too, as i would be willing to pay for a licence if im willing to spend that amount on one animal. Regular housing inspections for the animals and if any arnt accounted for (escaped) the owner to be punished for negligence and a hunt-down for the escapee. Least that way there is records of how many in australia and punishment for those neglectful owners, as well as keeping track on who is breeding the savannah.

What really freaking annoys me about cat haters, is that you think killing random stray cats every now and then is going to solve the problem. WRONG. For every one you kill, there is probably another negligent owner abandoning one.

If you really want to do something about it, get off your lazy ****s and do something thats really going to help. Start petitioning and campaigning to the government, to have licensing and specific housing requirements for cats.

Hit the base of the problem, thats the only way its going to be resolved and fixed!

1. A licensing system similar to reptiles would be a good start, where cats, moggy or purebred, need to be written down in a record to keep track. These details need to be passed on when a cat goes to a new home.

2. All MUST be desexed prior to leaving for a new home, or if you already have an older cat.

3. All cats are required to be microchipped, with owner and license details etc

4. For breeders, a list of names and details of interested parties must be collected BEFORE a litter is planned, to ensure each can go to a new home. When at the new home, the persons are required to bring their animal to the vet to prove it is in their care, and license / microchip details to be checked.

5. Strict housing rules need to be put in place, indoors only or access to a pen in the yard, eliminate free roaming cats.

6. Fines to all persons who ignore these laws. People would soon learn to respect them, and to be honest, its not all that hard to do. My cat is already desexed, microchipped, and not allowed to free roam.

Thinking about it for an hour last night I had much better ideas, I know ive forgotton to add something.. will update if I remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back