Monster or moggie? Claws out in catfight

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep i agree, I dont like cats but i dont hate them either. It all comes down to being the owners fault. A bigger cat than the other doesnt make a difference. BTW a savannah isnt a leopard x domestic, its a serval - which is a small wild cat anyway, more legs than anything.
I think people are getting a little too worried about the savannah, if the savannah is such a huge threat, think whats going to happen if they re-introduce the thylacine.

People also seem to be forgetting that WE have cause just as much harm if not more than cats.. How about you shoot these hooligans in the face when you see an innocent snake get shoveled, or when someone purposely swerves to hit a reptile on the road.

People have a CHOICE about their actions, yet they still continue to be imbeciles. Cats on the other hand are following their natural instinct.. they dont have a choice in the matter. I dont ever recall cats asking to be introduced to Australia, once again look in the mirror for that error.

So who's the worse culprit? Not sure about you but its pretty damn obvious to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herptrader
So Moose, Have you signed the petition yet? It is now at well over 1600 signatures:
http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/savannah-cats.html

But I want a giant savannah cat :D ...oh...do I have to sign it?? :p

So have you signed it yet?

Note you can still sign it and have dreams about hunting Koala's with your giant Savannah at your side and trusty elephant gun in your hand.

I am searching for the ideal world too.....where no cats roam free
Good Luck vixenbabe

And when one Tom just happens to get out for just one night and mate with the local feral population it all becomes meaningless!

Why take the risk!

What really freaking annoys me about cat haters, is that you think killing random stray cats every now and then is going to solve the problem. WRONG. For every one you kill, there is probably another negligent owner abandoning one.

If you really want to do something about it, get off your lazy ****s and do something thats really going to help. Start petitioning and campaigning to the government, to have licensing and specific housing requirements for cats.

Hit the base of the problem, thats the only way its going to be resolved and fixed!

1. A licensing system similar to reptiles would be a good start, where cats, moggy or purebred, need to be written down in a record to keep track. These details need to be passed on when a cat goes to a new home.

2. All MUST be desexed prior to leaving for a new home, or if you already have an older cat.

3. All cats are required to be microchipped, with owner and license details etc

4. For breeders, a list of names and details of interested parties must be collected BEFORE a litter is planned, to ensure each can go to a new home. When at the new home, the persons are required to bring their animal to the vet to prove it is in their care, and license / microchip details to be checked.

5. Strict housing rules need to be put in place, indoors only or access to a pen in the yard, eliminate free roaming cats.

6. Fines to all persons who ignore these laws. People would soon learn to respect them, and to be honest, its not all that hard to do. My cat is already desexed, microchipped, and not allowed to free roam.

Thinking about it for an hour last night I had much better ideas, I know ive forgotton to add something.. will update if I remember.

Ask the savannah cat breeders what they do with the rejects. ie, the ones without the
"desired" coat pattern.... my guess is they sell em off cheap to anyone that will pay...they have to re coup those millions of dollars that they spent developing savannahs and trying to send em to Oz.
C'mon they are in it for the dollar....not much else

Undesirable caracteristics = Culling. Dog breeders do it with their expensive pedigree dogs. So i assume they would to.

They won't cull if they can get a dollar for it.

Look at all the deformed doggies around, parrot mouth, cleft palate, hip displaysia

Maine Coons are my favorite type of cat. I will own one one day.

maine-coon-02.jpg

Id rather a savannah, that coon cat is creepy....

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Maine Coons were developed purely from domesticated cats.

They are therefore completely different to importing a species that has some percentage of wild-cat in its genes, and may therefore have better hunting instincts, athletic abilities, and genes that could potentially result in larger cats than the Maine Coon.

I can't believe that people are seriously presenting an argument that a cat which will wreak havoc on our wildlife if released, should be imported because people have done harm to the environment! That is completely beside the point, and in no way a good argument for allowing this importation to occur.

Even if such licensing conditions were imposed by the government, there are always accidents that happen that result in escapes, and with such a high population of feral cats, a couple of accidents could result in long term detriment to the Australian Eco-system.

As Herptrader has said, it is definitely not worth the risk.

Just because Savanah cats would be a novel and exciting pet, doesn't mean that we are justified taking that risk. I can't believe that there is a petition FOR allowing the Savanah Cat! Is there one for importing fire ants? Because I reckon they would be an awesome pet!:evil:

I own a Bengal and I own herps. My cat stays indoors and 90% of this immature dribble is laughable!!! I agree that ferals are bad and I also agree that they should be exterminated!!! Owners that let these animals loose should be to blame, not the animal.
This thread is a different debate though, although another cat bash...painful in itself!.
It's a cat that costs $5K + correct...That's like saying (an analogy here) you'd let your GTP hatchy or Albino Darwin loose or not confine it responsibly...do you think that anyone in the market for an animal like that would be so irresponsible? I'm guessing no...so without any evidence of this happening and not owning a crystal ball, it's ridiculous speculation!
People owning a breed like this would be "the" responsible cat owners.....do people owning GTP and Albinos or the like have their animals escape??? haven't heard of any.....baa baa let's all act like sheep here, as always...
Maybe, like mentioned before, that most of you who that have posted here, instead of whinging about cats, do something constructive and petition about climate change & global warming, deforestation, all caused by humans and destroying OUR natural habitat for our native fauna....I think this is more of a global & local concern than "the cat"...but back to the debate here, this is a cat that is not even very common in Australia and this has not happened, and there is no evidence it even will....
If and when it happens, as people have prophersised that they will be hunting down Koalas :lol::lol:, i'll be the first person to admit my wrongs and go and hunt them down, because at the end of the day, they do have nice pelts that would make a nice coat.
I have always said that when our cat passes on I'll stuff him. not to the approval of family members. lol

Attachments

• maxi.jpg
    maxi.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I own a Bengal and I own herps. My cat stays indoors and 90% of this immature dribble is laughable!!! I agree that ferals are bad and I also agree that they should be exterminated!!! Owners that let these animals loose should be to blame, not the animal.
This thread is a different debate though, although another cat bash...painful in itself!.
It's a cat that costs $5K + correct...That's like saying (an analogy here) you'd let your GTP hatchy or Albino Darwin loose or not confine it responsibly...do you think that anyone in the market for an animal like that would be so irresponsible? I'm guessing no...so without any evidence of this happening and not owning a crystal ball, it's ridiculous speculation!
People owning a breed like this would be "the" responsible cat owners.....do people owning GTP and Albinos or the like have their animals escape??? haven't heard of any.....baa baa let's all act like sheep here, as always...
Maybe, like mentioned before, that most of you who that have posted here, instead of whinging about cats, do something constructive and petition about climate change & global warming, deforestation, all caused by humans and destroying OUR natural habitat for our native fauna....I think this is more of a global & local concern than "the cat"...but back to the debate here, this is a cat that is not even very common in Australia and this has not happened, and there is no evidence it even will....
If and when it happens, as people have prophersised that they will be hunting down Koalas :lol::lol:, i'll be the first person to admit my wrongs and go and hunt them down, because at the end of the day, they do have nice pelts that would make a nice coat.
I have always said that when our cat passes on I'll stuff him. not to the approval of family members. lol

Hang on, you say "...so without any evidence of this happening and not owning a crystal ball, it's ridiculous speculation! " whilst bagging opponents of the feral,
then go on to say "i'll be the first person to admit my wrongs and go and hunt them down, because at the end of the day, they do have nice pelts that would make a nice coat."

Wouldnt it just be easier to ban them before we get the problem? Who wants to solve a problem after it was intentionally instigated with no benefit at all? It doesnt make any sense?
I'll quote one of the sigs on the petition;
"Once again we will see the will of the urban riche imposed upon the general population because of ego and the desire to impress..."
I'd have to agree.

Last edited:
Invasive species are important Scotty

I've got to respond to Scotty's rant (the mature one).

Next to land clearing, invasive species are the biggest impact on biodiversity, worldwide. Showing concern about this environmental issue doesn't mean people don't care about climate change or other environmental issues. Most people are capable of having a few environmental concerns at the same time.

Australia has the worst extinction rate of animals in the world, and the most number of threatened animal species. Cats are a factor (not the biggest - foxes are worse; and each area is different).

We aren't talking about the next few years where responsible owners look after expensive pets. The price of Savannahs in the US is already plummeting as newer exotic breeds become available - lots of ads for them online for $800. Savannahs won't stay at $5,000 here forever and once they come in, the federal government has no powers over what the breeders do.

Savannahs show that the Environmental Protection and Biodiversity Act needs modifying. Until you snake guys kicked up a fuss, this cat was going to be let in with zero public consultation. The same would apply for the other six or seven hybrid cat "breeds" and for wolf-dog hybrids and coyote-dog hybrids. Half a million Americans own a wolf-dog hybrid and the Centre for Disease Control notes that they kill an American every 18 months on average (not the owners - other people's children).

This debate is important and worth having. Frankly, it has probably taken 10 minutes of the Environment Minister's time, so it is hardly a distraction. The RSPCA, the Australian Veterinary Association, Humane Society International Australia, Woolproducers Australia etc etc all think this is a bad idea.

Nice that you're willing to help with the clean up if you're wrong.

If I'm wrong and we end up keeping them out for no real reason, the downside is a few people miss out on owning a spotted cat that looks like a serval and acts like a dog. I'm willing to bet you a beer they'll get over it.

.....Until you snake guys kicked up a fuss

Herpers Tony, Herpers, possibly Herps.

For the record Herps are those interested in herpetoculture, ie: to do with reptiles and amphibians.

And for the record it is my observation that herpers come in all shapes and sizes.. and all walks of life. Most realise the damage that cats and other feral species, habitat destruction etc. are doing to our island home but a few have yet to work it out. Like I say - there are all sorts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back